Popular "Baby" Colors (not pastels)

I keep hearing that new moms don't want the "old" baby colors (pastels), but want more vivid colors. Can any of you give me a clue? :shrug I don't have any GKs :(, so am hopelessly out of the loop. Are there any that are more popular than others? I do crochet baby blankets for the hospital nursery, so it would be great to have some new ideas.

i have a 15 month old and like you said, i'm sick of the pastels. sure they look cute on an infant, but a pastel blanket just doesn't fit for an older child. i think any regular color would be great. i have a son. i would love a bright red or kelly green or royal blue. for a girl, how about the popular brown with turquiosy blue? brown and pink are popular now too. hot bubble gum pink would be cute.

I have done a lot of bright colors for baby blankets lately. Orange, Yellow, dark purple. Most of the colors I am using now I would have used for todlers or school aged children before, but I too have noticed the trend to bright colors. Melon is popular for girls now I have even had a request for a red white and black baby blanket.

Well, I'm not a new mom, but I used bright primary colors with my kids. Studies have shown that bright colors and lots of contrast are good for babies. I made a quilt for my niece's carseat that had black and white spots on each side, and red ric rac that ran across it. She stared at it....and stared at it....and stared at it. And when she started smiling, she'd smile if we got it out for her.

Bright colors and lots of contrast - you can't really go wrong.

I liked medium shades of rainbow colors with off-white (never liked "faded" looking pastels). I got a booklet many yrs ago, called Primarily Kids (maybe :think). It's kid's bed size afghans for 3 - 8 year olds, using all bright colors with black. Now I use bright and even "neon" rainbow colors with black. RH has something called Mexicana, a bright multi colored yarn with all the rainbow colors.

Ellie 13

I like greens, bright yellows, vivid blues and purples and other fun colors for babies.

I recently made a hot pink and black rr for a baby girl and the mom loved it. Sure shows it's a girl when you see hot pink.

Bright colors are more fun. The one color I will not crochet with for kids is mint green. Just not a color for kids.

:manyheart

I've done one in a dark chocolate brown (Caron SS) and a pale pink. It turned out a LOT different than just a pastel looking blanket would. Right now a LOT of kids clothes are a pastel blue, pink or green with a chocolate brown color and it's really pretty together.

If I were making a baby blankt or even layettes, I would chck the colors that you find in RH Kids colors...they're bright, fun, and yes, these contrasting colors do promote brain development. Contrasting colors and patterns in baby projects also helps with brain development.

My son that is due next week has lots of bright blue and red items. I did do a light blue baby blanket for him, but it isn't pastel. My 4 1/2 year old daughter loves purple and sage green together, and my middle son, 3 loves anything as long as it has Disney's Cars on it (mostly red). The baby has one or two light pastel colored outfits, but mostly the boy stuff is tans and primary colors, red, blue, green or yellow. Not overly bright, but not light pastel. Hope this helps :)

Yippee, I guess I have to go yarn shopping:clap I have a lot of yarn, but more adult colors than for little ones. Plus, I just heard from a friend that she's to be a first-time grandma, in vitro - maybe 3 :eek If so, she's going to call in favors for baby things :lol

Thank you all for your suggestions; they will really help :hook

I always liked primary colours for toddlers. Like red, blue and yellow. Even green, purple and orange work too. Like others have said just nice bright colours.

my mother in law's friend knitted my son a beautiful cable zipper up hoodie cardigan sweater when he was first born. it was a verigated yarn and it was mostly creme but it had shades of baby blue and lavender in it. i totally loved this sweater but it was TOO girlybecause of the lavender. he never wore it. i feel bad. maybe the next baby will be a girl.

i just wish she made it in red or blue or green. then he'd wear it.

I recently made a few baby gifts.

One mom picked teal, brown and cream for her colors. I used Caron Simply Soft Bone, Chocolate, and Blue Mint. I used the bone because I wasn't crazy about the cream colors they had available. I made a round ripple, booties and a hat. It was super cute and very well recieved.

One mom liked earth tones so I picked up 2 colors of green and 2 colors of brown and alternated them in a box stich afghan. Again it is super cute and was very well recieved.

The other baby was for the daughter of my husb hunting and fishing buddy. I made her a dress, blanket and hat in bernat pink camo. Again, super cute, and well recieved, espcially by the new Dad.

I've seen a lot of bright colors lately- orange, pink, yellow, teal, lime green, and bright red. They are fun to use and look great on the kids.

Archived