How big should a standard granny square be?

Help! What is the standard size for a granny square? I'd like to work on some sample squares to practice different techniques and stitches (and also keep my sanity while I'm working on my big afghan). I may keep some, but may also swap some, and want to be sure they are not oddly sized.

Thanks for any input....

Hmmm...a standard size: it really varies depending on what you want to do with them. There's no wrong answer really. If you make 2 rounds of a granny square, that's known as a saltine and there are many uses for them in patchwork afghans...if you do 4 rounds, (which is what I personally think of as standard) that's about 4" depending on the yarn you use.

I know for friendship squares people like either 8" or 12."

I hope that gives you some insight...

If you think you might want to send some out a lot of people here on the Ville are using 8 inch squares or 12 inch squares. Making squares is fun and a great way to use up leftover yarn. Just weave in those ends as you go!!! :hook

there are also a few people on here that I've seen who want 6 in squares. and of course, you can keep doing rounds on 1 granny until you have a full afghan from it (or instead of a granny "square", there are patterns for a granny "rectangle" that would work also :) )

Sandy

I don't know if there is a "standard" size. Just what people prefer.

If you want to practice some stitches, consider the 63 Squares for a Heirloom aghan booklet. Has 63 different squares, starts off easy. Then if you do all 63, even in different colors for practice, you can put together for an afghan. I did a lot of those squares in cotton for dishclothes. Then I had a gift and a way to practice stitches. Of course you can use any Sampler idea, there are a few on LionBrand.

You can also do different size squares and then put them together. There's a Babette Afghan that uses that idea.

Or just make some in different sizes and when someone wants a certain size you can send those out. Some people like to do square and call them "stress squares" whenever they get stressed, they make a square. Sometimes easy but always a finished project and a sense of completion.

Debbi

I don't think there's a 'standard' size. My grandmother would usually make 8 or 12" squares to sew to make afghans. She would go for the larger ones cuz she hated putting them together.

Personally - my fav is the ghan sized square.

Thank you all - that does really help! I've done the granny square before in several sizes - including the one-giant-square as an afghan for Project Linus, but it came out rather "warped" looking. It was my first attempt - so maybe I'll get better at it. I have a book of crochet blocks - Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans but I'll have to search out the 63 Squares for a Heirloom book.

The point about grannies - actual grannies- is that they are whatever size you want to make them. Whether you make grannie's daughters or one giant granny for a blanket, that is a granny square.

The traditional granny square was made with scraps and was 3-4 rounds. Depending on the yarn, the size varied. Anywhere from 4-7 (even 1/2 sizes) inches. When they were created (100+ yrs ago) nobody really measured, as long as they were all the same size. Today many squares are called "granny" but should really be called a motif. Most people prefer 6, 8 or 12 inches.

Ellie 13

• 2 weeks later...

Archived