curtains made from ww yarn?

I didn't know where else to post this so I am posting it here. I would like to know is it possible or even ethnical to make curtains out of ww yarn. I have a big window in my living room and the evening sun really heats the room up not to mention puts a clare on the t.v. I know the sensible thing to do would be do go out and buy a curtain but I am just curious as to making my own. I am quite sure I won't be able to find a pattern on the net but I wanted to get other thoughts on the topic before I tried it. Would something like this be considered tacky?

My concerns would be: 1. It would essentially look like an afghan hung up there, and 2, even if you could get it non-afghan looking, wouldn't it stretch and sag?

Neat idea though. Please let us know if you do it - I'd love to see it!

Not even sure if you got it looking non afghan looking that even putting fabric on the top would keep it from saggin using the fabric as hanging part.But I suppose I cant talk since its 115 here I put my big comforter on my back sliding glass door to keep the afternoon sun from coming in!:lol

Well who knows you may come up with a new concept in window treatments with crocheted curtains they crochet curtains with crochet thread.

I would also be concerned with shaping and with weight but there are a lot of new yarns out there.

If the window is very large, we have 98 inch windows at my home it may cost more then it would be worth trying..

And then there is that filet stitch they do and then they weave ribbon or yarn etc through the openings of the filet... just keep thinking that is how new ideas arrive :think:badidea

Good luck let us know what ya decide to try

Darlene

I kept thinking about this as I was working in the yard tonight and I remembered a gal who did macrame curtains out of a cool twine for her big picture window. It was back in the dark ages when this was cool! LOL Someone else suggested thread, I think that would work good.

I would expect that a curtain done in WW would be HEAVY.

But crocheting something in a dark thread or fingering yarn might not be too bad an idea.

I have a west facing picture window/patio door in my apartment, and in the afternoon it super heats my apartment. We've hung a outdoor roll-up screen from the top of the patio cover, and it stops the sun from super heating the glass, and reduced the load on the air conditioner. Also, I have a dark roll-up shade hung in my bedroom. It doesn't keep the sun off the glass, but does keep it from heating the room.

I think that would depend on your pattern, and window size. I would do something filet-ish out of worsted weight, so it would be mostly air, but would still help cut down on the heat through the window, and not be quite as heavy or afghan looking.

I think if you want to try covering that window with worsted weight yarn, it can't weigh any more than some of the enormous drapes my parents had years ago. You couldn't even lift them!

I'd put up one of those big fat wooden curtain holders or a very thick dowel if you can't find one. Make sure the holders are fastened into the wall studs and it will hold just fine.

I think the trick to using worsted weight is to make panels, so you don't end up with one difficult piece to handle. And if you make panels you could shade colors from one to the next, or purposely separate colors. Make a mural! I think panels would be easier to handle, get creative with, hang up, and wash.

thanks for all the replies. For some reason I am not getting my email notifications. I had planned on using panels for the curtains so that when I wanted sunlight in the living room I could open them up. The curtain rods I have will not hold the weight of an afghan looking curtain. Well I have decided to give it a shot because you never know what you can do if you don't even try. Thanks for all the advice, ideas and thoughts.

I've been thinking about crocheting curtains for a while now, but haven't gotten the nerve up yet. This pattern calls for WW yarn, so I guess it would work. I would like to make a valance and use those metal rings with the little clips to hold it up. That way, it would be easier to change it out if I got tired of it and wanted a different color or whatever.

OMG! It is funny you should post that link because I started my own pattern yesterday using dc working the same way the designer of that pattern did except I worked dc all the way across.So I guess I was off to the right start. Have to hurry up and do my housework so I can work on it. I may just use her pattern instead of creating my own.Thanks again.

Mason-Dixon did a lacy, knitted bathroom curtain (much smaller) out of linen yarn. Linen held up quite well, even though you would expect knit to stretch more than crochet. I think the downside would be the cost. Cotton might be an acceptable alternative. By the way, there have been crocheted curtains around forever. Very often they are filet crochet and usually done in cotton thread. These provide limited shade but are more like a lacy screen.

• 1 month later...

Pineapple curtain I did this one in WW yarn. I took my "cape" and draped it over my existing curtian. I still have it up there from when I first posted this in my blog (updated photo though because of better camera). It's still up there and the "rods" or whatever aren't the best. They've been there forever and can come down easily, but this hasn't. The rod actually just lift and are off the hooks in the wall. I don't know if it's stretched or not, but I don't think that much.

crocheted bathroom curtain - link to someone else who used RHSS.

curtains - link to someone who made those WW curtains from the link above.

Anyway, it can be done, obviously. You just have to decide if you want to use it. Some have suggested, in other posts, that you use baby yarn or even size 3 thread if you don't want to use size 10 bedspread weight cotton. Which all could work.

Debbi

• 1 year later...

there is a pattern for crochet Curtians on fave crafts website.. i dont have it saved on this computer but if you PM me later if you still want it i'll post it tomarrow when im on my computer.. rite now im on hubby's laptop as im feeling to lazy to get off my butt and go boot mine up.. lol and the pattern is soooo pretty too..

HI! I have made several valance's for my windows using worsted weight yarn and a granny ripple stitch, I have had lots of compliments, and have even been asked to make more. I made the ripple wider than the window than crochet sc around and dc on top, then made a pocket to slide the curtain rod in. Hope this helps!

This is an interesting idea. I think that it might work if you use ww cotton yarn. This won't stretch. However, it would probably be quite heavy, especially if it is done in a solid pattern. If you are into being stylish, then this might be a problem. If you don't mind being, well, different, then it doesn't matter. Let us know what happens, if you do decide to do it.

Archived