painted doilies?

dixieredhead

So I've ventured to a new area of thread crochet. Painted doilies. This is where you use sewing thread in bundles to make a sort of dyed doily. Has anyone else attempted this? I know its pretty expensive just for the threads. But I'm always up for something challenging. I would love to hear your thoughts on it though!

:cheer

Can you post a picture of one or several of your painted doilies? I would love to see some.

I haven't tried it yet though I do have the book. I keep thinking it would be a great project for my mother's Christmas present. It doesn't sound too hard, but as I said, I haven't tried it yet. :wink

I made one a while back. Wasn't difficult just alot of changing of colors because it is blending the colors as you go along. I posted it on show and tell a few months back but here is another look at it.

Mary

multicoloreddoily.jpg

That is fabulous! Your sooooo good!:bow I am making the smaller blue one with the irish roses. I was wondering when you take out a spool and add a new one, do you just crochet over the remnant? That was the only problem I was having tonight. It is very tedious work until you get used to all that thread.:eek

I had to weave in alot even when I tried to crochet over the remnent of string so that is one of the drawbacks. But.........the end results out weigh the negatives.

Mary

Mary, I remembered that someone had done that doily but couldn't remember who it was. It's just as gorgeous as I remembered it was! :D

On this doily there is 3 spools of the same color throughout so when you get to the end of the rnd and you add one string to the next round, etc, etc. till your new color is blended in. I hope that makes sense.

Mary:cheer

Made that same doily. I put it on my table at Thanksgiving. My harvest Angel is standing on it.:D

You can do this with any doily pattern. Just decide how many colors you want in it and divide the number of rows with the number of colors. That tells you how many rows per color. :lol

I found it fun and as soon as I get some of my other projects done, I want to make another in different colors.:yay

As for the thread. Keep an eye on Annie's Attic and Herrschners for sales.

Oooh my I love the look that gives you but it looks like it would be a big challenge for me. I looked at the book the other day at Craft Mart, thinking that is so cool and hard to do. I may have to buy it I have a 40% off coupon

:think

I've made two of these and absolutely love them. I gave them away, don't know about getting a picture to post. I'll try. My first one had 7 shades of purple and was 27". It took me FOREVERRRRR. But the 2nd one was only 18" I think and used 5 shades of blue. It went much much quicker. It was very difficult to get the right shades of blue. I also found the patterns in the Painted Doilies book are not real accurate for the amount of thread needed. When they use the smaller spools, I ALWAYS have to go back and buy more. I bought mine at JoAnn's when they would have thread 1/2 price. That really helped with the cost because it was very expensive to buy that much thread!

I'm sure I'll make a 3rd one some day. They're really fun once you get a system going.

Susan Rae

OMG That is gorgeous! I tried making one of these awhile ago but I honestly went cross-eyed with how fine the thread was. I give you guys tons of credit for making these! :manyheart

I just love the look of the painted doilies - been eyeing the book for a few weeks now, so I gave in and bought the book today - will pick it up from my mums in the US on my next visit - I'm avoiding the post as much as possible until they find my missing lurex...Grrrrr

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the Irish Rose Doily now; bought the book and threads from DixieRedHead! I'll definitely post a pic of it when it's done! I'm on round 8 of the first doily section for anyone who has the Painted Doilies book.

I tried changing colors the way they describe in the book, but I found it easier to finish off at the end of the last round of one color combination and join with the new color combination at the beginning of the next round.

I also use a clear thread box to keep my spools from rolling around. The box has pegs to put the spools on and slots to pass the thread under the lid so the thread doesn't get tangles in it!

• 9 months later...

Here's a link to my photo album of painted doilies:

http://photos.yahoo.com/lighthouselady517 The album is called painted doilies. I've used sewing thread and also have separated embroidery floss into 6 individual strands, wound these individual strands on bobbins and then used them to make doiles.

The graduated table topper was made using 3 strands of # 10 crochet thread. That made a very nice table cover for the porch.

All these patterns were from free online patterns.

Thanks to whomever it was that posted the allthread site. Love the color selection.

Dennymare your doily is just gorgeous! I hope you make more and post those pictures too.

Here's a link to my photo album of painted doilies:

http://photos.yahoo.com/lighthouselady517 The album is called painted doilies. I've used sewing thread and also have separated embroidery floss into 6 individual strands, wound these individual strands on bobbins and then used them to make doiles. The graduated table topper was made using 3 strands of # 10 crochet thread. That made a very nice table cover for the porch.

All these patterns were from free online patterns.

Thanks to whomever it was that posted the allthread site. Love the color selection.

Lighthouselady517 - I noticed it was your first post so I wanted to say welcome to Crochetville! I love your doilies -- espeically the daisy one with the dark blue on the outside. I lurked at your other pictures too, and I like your rock garden. Is that you in the wedding picture? If it is, congratulations!

Also, I want to ask you a question that I have wanted to know the answer to for a very long time. How do you separate the strands of embroidery completely enough to make little balls of thread? I've tried separating them before to use it for crocheting, but after a few feet or yards, everything is so twisted up, it's impossible to separate the thread any more than just the few feet or maybe one yard. Do you have a trick for dividing the thread of an entire hank of thread? I would love to do painted doilies using that, but since I can only get short lengths of thread, it is just more ends to weave in. Please tell me how to do that! Thanks!

Again, I love your painted doilies and look forward to seeing more of your projects and hearing more from you on Cville. Welcome aboard!

:cheer:hook:clap

Archived