Mini Pinwheel Sweater -- My First Project

Okay, I'm going to grab my courage in both hands (I guess I have to put down my hook first) and try to post my first finished project. This is an American-Girl sized version of a pinwheel sweater inspired by Shelly Mackie's Lara Pinwheel Sweater with Crocheted Edges at Elann.com http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=227024

(I am obsessed with this pattern. It actually inspired me to take up knitting as well as crochet.)

Anyway, I promised my daughter (Yarnprincess, who was the one who found Crochetville for us) that whenever I tried a new patern I would first make a doll-sized practice version first.

So here it is:

amysweaterfrontsmall.jpg

and the back:

amysweaterbacksmall.jpg

My daughter (and her doll) love it!

Now I just have to take the plunge and make a full-size version...

How beautiful!!!! and FYI, if you knwo a little darling that wants an American Girl doll, thy have a WONERFUL knock off at Micheals....yeppers, I got two..lol...well my great nice Sammi LOVES them, and they are for JoJo's house.....

Gigiplum, you can! Check out the link to the Elann pattern at the top of the thread. It's originally an adult pattern, but so flexible I was able to re-size it for a doll!

This is how I described it on my blog ( http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gracefirm/ )

It was knitted from the center out, on one circular needle -- a technique I find much easier than either double-pointed needles or two circulars. (See a good tutorial here: http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html)

Holes are left for the sleeves using provisional cast ons and stitch holders, and the sleeves are knitted right on after the body is finished. The really nifty thing about this pattern is that it is wildly adjustible, as you can see from the fact that I took a full-size adult pattern and made it for an 18 inch doll! You just keep spiralling around until the piece is the width between your (or your daughter's or your doll's) shoulders, and add the armholes there. I actually made this one by guesstimating, and didn't try it on the doll till the end -- reckless I know, but I like to live on the edge.

Oh -- and I should mention, since this is Crochetville, that the edging is crochet, of course. In the original pattern there is a totally gorgeous deep lace border that I just fell in love with, but the doll was so small, and my DD was so excited to see it done, I did a very simple chain arch border instead.

you're really very talented! crocheting in miniature isn't easy, and i am sure in knitting either!! what wonderful work you do. thank you so much for sharing with us and gooluck on the adult version

I love this pattern!! This is the first thing that I ever made for myself!! I am getting ready to make one for a friends' daughter out of pink mohair.

Hey, Jill. This is your daughter saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for the sweater!
:manyheart
See how much people like it? I just want to say... I told you so!
:P
:crocheting

Archived