Smelly Yarn Question

Sorry about the title, I didnt know how else to say it!!:blush

I bought a yarn kit on Ebay and when I opened the sealed package, the :yarn has a faint smell of cigarette smoke. :yuck (the auction did not say anything about it and I did not ask :oops). The kit is for a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll, so cute, these were my favs growing up.

Well, any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell? I though about using Fabreeze, I have some for pet odors:think but then I worry about color fastness.

Help help help!!:shrug

Thanks!!!

Perhaps you could leave it out in the open a few days to air out. Try spraying the Febreeze in the air close to it, not directly on it, and let it air that way. Or use the type for fabrics, I don't think it will harm the colors.

you could try a couple of differnt things.

put the yarn in your dryer with a dryer sheet and run it through an air fluff cycle (might need to do this a couple of times. or you could try putting it into a bag with a couple of dryer sheets and close it up and let it set for a couple of days. you can try the febreeze but that may just mask the odor for a little while. if all else fails put it into a pillow case and wash it.

good luck.

Hmm.... You can try sprinkling some baking soda in a plastic bag with the yarn, closing the bag tightly overnight and see if that gets rid of the odor. You'd have to pat the baking soda completely out of the yarn, though. Another thing to try that I've heard of but never actually have had to do, is to put kitty clumping litter (such as Fresh Step) in a bag with the odor ridden item and let it sit overnight. I hope you get rid of the smell, one way or another!

Hmm.... You can try sprinkling some baking soda in a plastic bag with the yarn, closing the bag tightly overnight and see if that gets rid of the odor. You'd have to pat the baking soda completely out of the yarn, though. Another thing to try that I've heard of but never actually have had to do, is to put kitty clumping litter (such as Fresh Step) in a bag with the odor ridden item and let it sit overnight. I hope you get rid of the smell, one way or another!

Hi UKSP!! :devil I had my DH smell it, of course he looked at me like I had lost my mind:D, he thinks the yarn has just been stored for a long time, and that it was not smoke.

We have a room ionizer (sp?) and I have it on a table next to it. The kitty litter option is interesting though.

I will keep u updated.:manyheart

You can try an opened bar of bath soap zipped in a bag with the yarn. That technique has served me well in the past.

:idea That is a great idea!!!! Thanks TeaLady!!

My daughter had that problem (former room mates smoked) and just ut a dryer sheet in with it, forgot about it for a few days, and it was fine.

I would also recommend fa breeze. Smoke/stale smell is hard to get out of anything!! I ALWAYS have to wash my hair after going out to a place that still lets people smoke. Any sort of oder trapping product should help.

I had the same problem recently with some silk yarn I had won on e-bay. At first I thought it was smoke but then realized it was jsut a musty stored smell.

It was in hanks so I was able to untwist the hanks and then hang them over a broomstick handle and hang them outside for a day. I also lightly sprayed them with Fabreeze.

Smell was completely gone in one day.

Arm & Hammer baking soda makes freezer/fridge packs now that are completely enclosed (no spilling!). They're on the air freshener aisle - they're round and come with a suction cup for hanging in the fridge or freezer. I've closed one of those up in a garbage bag with musty smelling yarn and it smells much better after a few days. I can't use Febreeze-type things because of my asthma/allergies, so I always have to find a way to get rid of the bad smell instead of covering it up with another smell. :D

Vinegar is best for smell removal.

I keep a spray bottle and spray it often! Clean with it, too! And no nasty chemicals, either!

I use vinegar for everything - and it works great! I have even managed to cut out dryer sheets & other chemicals by cleaning out my washer once/month with vinegar & hot water. I don't have static cling & my clothes smell great afterwards.

I have received some yarn that was beyond mildly smelling like smoke a few times. One time I could smell it even before I actually opened up the box. I took the yarn out, took off all the labels, and put it in a pillowcase using a hairband between each skein of yarn. It looked like I had several sections. Then I just put it in my washer and washed with an extra rinse cycle. I then put it in the dryer and dried it for several cycles. I did other laundry and just left the yarn pillow case in the dryer, each time I dried another load of clothing (so I didn't waste energy). After a few loads I opened one of the pillow cases up and checked and it was dry in the middle and I haven't had any problems with it since. I do this with thrift store yarn sometimes when it smells like it has been stored for a while and has that musty smell. Good Luck!

Archived