Ideas for Mother's Day Stall items

Hi,

My daughter's school is running a Mother's Day present stall in the Autumn Fair (opposite seasons here in the Southern Hemisphere) in May. I thought maybe I'd crochet something rather than purchasing... T

I was looking for ideas for gift items that are able to be done relatively quickly and potentially relatively cheaply (not more than 1 - 2 skeins of yarn or balls of thread) that mum's would appreciate receiving and kids (or guiding dads) would think of buying when in competition with things like hand creams, books, etc. (some of the items suggested on the note home).

I thought of coasters but then thought that, while mum's might buy those for themselves, they didn't strike me as something a child or dad would be likely to think of as a Mother's Day present...

We will be entering autumn/winter (subtropical, so no snow - more of a 40 to 60 degree Fahrenheit range of temperature...)

Thanks for any ideas :)... portable projects are good as I'll be travelling in the UK for a fortnight in the timeframe :P

Cheers,

Marika

Something like a purse or tote bag would be a good idea and would be portable. You could also do a scarf and hat set...even though it won't be super cold, they're still nice accessories when it is chilly. You could also get some cotton and do kitchen items, although I would think something "fun" rather than cleaning/home related would be a more popular item. Have fun and good luck!:)

I asked my husband what he'd get me if I didn't crochet.

He said pocketbook. (I call them purses lol) He's seen the nice ones I've made from the Stitch and Bitch book.

I have to agree with him and the above Christina, purses/bags are good.

He did say a pretty hat and scarf or gloves.

I also thought maybe pretty bookmarks.

Maybe shawls. Hard to tell if kids/dads would pick those or not.

Oh a lipbalm holder, especially if you include lip balm. Young kids usually love love lip balm so buying Mum one would be a perfect excuse. Flavored of course.

Maybe a headbands or pin. Kids usually love to get Mommy things for their hair or other things to wear.

Little bouquets. Again most kids love to get Mommy pretty things and love to pick flowers for them.

Little basket or treasure boxes/bags. What kid doesn't love the idea of treasures and jewelry boxes of some kind.

I would second bookmarks. They would be quick to make and there are some pretty patterns out there.

Maybe some little toys - kids always like getting cute stuff for mums.

Hubby suggested heart shaped 'things' hehe (he wasn't sure how to elaborate beyond 'things'!). Maybe as fridge magnets? You could also do little flowers or butterflies too.

Scarves would be good with Winter fast approaching (though it sure doesn't feel like it at the moment!). You could even get away with using a huge hook and fun fur. Kids love that stuff.

The treasure baskets/bags EmpressBusyBee mentioned would be cute. You could pop a couple of snack size chocolates inside them.

Little potpourri/scented bags perhaps. My mum still has a bunch of those floating around in her dressing table that we bought for her as kids (That and mini soaps wrapped up in tulle stuff!). Not sure about the mechanics of going about it - might be better to buy the little netting bags from Spotlight etc rather than crochet if you were to do this one. :think

I've never tried it, but you could edge facewashers, maybe pair them with little soaps. You can get cheap but nice looking facewashers at Best and Less, or somewhere like Crazy Clarks. Same with tea towels if you know how to do the tea towel toppers.

You never know about the coasters either. It's hard to tell what will take a child's fancy! If you were wanting something along those lines, you could make some of those novelty type hot pads (like the ones in different shapes etc).

I'd also suggest checking out the Miscellaneous and Home Decor sections on Crochet Pattern Central. There are all sorts of things there.

Good luck with it. :hook You'll have to let us know what you decide to make and how it all goes. Enjoy your trip to the UK!

I'm making soothing rice pack rolls. You sew two 4" by 18" rectangles rice filled and crochet an attractive cover. I found this pattern in "Big Book Crochet" but it wouldn't be hard to design a cover.

It also had an clothespin angel to watch over you that wouldn't require much.

Good Luck!

Thank you for all of the ideas - some reinforced ideas I'd had and some have sent me down new roads :)

I'll let you know what I've decided on when I've done so :D (I hope that made sense... time for :coffee... :yawn)

Cheers,

Marika

How about crocheted roses? I bought some roses from wal-mart and just pulled off the buds and hot glued on my own. They really are pretty and very quick to make! You need a vase and maybe some of those colored pebbles to put in it! I am making a bunch of these getting ready for mother's day. Pattern I used: http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/StripMethodRose/

S4300003-3.jpg?t=1204055457 I found lots of cute little vases at thrift stores that looked new too!

How about, perhaps, little sewing kits? A little crocheted booklet containing a couple needles, small bobbins of thread, a folding pair of scissors, a small bag of buttons?

Or, a crochet kit...a couple hooks, a ball or two of yarn (you can take 1-2 skeins, ball up 1/2 of each color, and put them together, using the other halves for another kit), and a pair of child-safe scissors (this is so the kids can safely buy them without teachers and parents being worried about the safety issue). Be sure to include very simple patterns if you're creative enough to design some yourself, or include a gift tag of sorts with various links to sites with instructions to crochet.

If you do crochet kits, perhaps it would also behoove you to include a beginner's knitting kit--a pair of inexpensive knitting needles (you can even make some out of bamboo skewers--check out my blog for simple instructions), a couple balls of yarn, scissors, a pattern or two, plus links for instructions to knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com is a great one to refer to!).

Should you do crochet/knit kits, you can either sew up a simple pouch large enough for the materials, or make an easy drawstring bag to the size needed.

Thanks everyone,

I think I've decided to try a fancy scarf (Heather Hensler's April Showers scarf) in perle cotton (permission requested and received to offer item in this way) as I am dying to get stuck into the pattern and with small motifs it seems it would make a good travel project. I am also messing about with some lip gloss keychain cozies perhaps. I love all the ideas, though, and will certainly work out some of them for future gift and fete stall ideas...

:')

Cheers,

Marika

check out Annies Attic free pattern today

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/printer.html

It's a patchwork heart, very cute. It's done in thread, but done in yarn would make a nice pillow for Mom. You could use some of your left over yarn.

I think a dishcloth might be okay if you did them cute or decorative. Like the Angel one. Maybe include "from mom's little angel" or "to an angel of a mom" for a card....

Debbi

I would suggest cell phone pouches that you can attach a metal hook to... keeps it handy in your purse. I love little things like that myself.

Oh yeah, I used some plastic canvas in mine to keep the yarn away from the buttons... yah don't want to call Wendy in Australia or anything like that without meaning to. :rofl

I would suggest cell phone pouches that you can attach a metal hook to... keeps it handy in your purse. I love little things like that myself.

Oh yeah, I used some plastic canvas in mine to keep the yarn away from the buttons... yah don't want to call Wendy in Australia or anything like that without meaning to. :rofl

Of course, I am sure that has NEVER happened to you, eh? :eek

:) Good idea, though, I have picked up a free pattern from Lincraft for a mobile phone pouch with a chain shoulder strap, may pop that into the bag as well, I am sorting through projects to pack this morning....

Cheers,

Marika

do you know of any place i could find bookmark patterns for crochet,and im looking to make crochet lapgans with initials crochet in the square or pictures would you be so kind to help me find some patterns?thank you very much.Theresa

do you know of any place i could find bookmark patterns for crochet,and im looking to make crochet lapgans with initials crochet in the square or pictures would you be so kind to help me find some patterns?thank you very much.Theresa

I know that the crochet dude has some patterns for sale on his lulu site (I think it is http://www.lulu.com/thecrochetdude

For free patterns, there are also some bookmarks on this site http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/bookmarks/index.shtml?

or try:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bookmarks.php

Not sure about the name 'ghans.

Cheers,

Marika

PS, You might get more info if you post under the "Seeking Patterns" board.

Archived