certified instructors - updated

certified instructor through Craft Yarn Council of America (or other council)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. certified instructor through Craft Yarn Council of America (or other council)

• I am certified in Crochet
    • I am certified in Knitting
    • I am certified in both Crochet and Knitting
    • I am NOT certified, but am considering it
    • I haven't the slightest desire to get certified
    • just for laughs...I'm certifiable lol

I am curious if you don't mind answering....how many here are "certified instructors" through the Craft Yarn Council of America? This could go under teaching crochet, but I didn't want to pidgeon-hole it into that category. Thanks. D

1/25/09 - I'm happy to write that I completed the certification process in Part 1 Crochet and Parts 1 and 2 Knitting through the CYCOA. :clap At the time I wrote the first post, I was considering it. Thereafter, I applied for both certifications and completed Crochet and Knitting together and passed Part 1 in each. It was suggested that on Part 2 I give my attention to one or the other, not both at the same time, and I did the Knitting. I was close to "done" for a few months, but procrastinated on getting it all together....don't know why I did that. :think I'm now beginning on Part 2 of Crocheting. It will be interesting to teach myself broomstick and hairpin lace~!

P.S. If I knew how to change my answer to the poll, I'd have updated that too.

There's no point for hobby crocheters--or even those who simply crochet and sell their own stuff--to be certified, unless you have some desire to do so. I think it serves a purpose for those who want to be professionals--instructors, contract crocheters (making up "show" pieces for designers, or costumes), and ????

I can't think of too many reasons for the average crocheter to do it. According to the poll so far, there aren't many folks here who have taken the trouble to be "certified crocheters."

I actually really, honestly, truly want to get certified. I want to teach crochet and maybe knitting too. I've read up on this through the Yarn Council's website. I also think, but I could be wrong, that it would actually look good on one's bio for when one is submitting their own designs for possible publication.

This is one of those things that's on my list for the next 5 years to do. That and take the master courses from the Crochet Guild of America.

I, too, am certifiable..LOL I mean who else do you know that has seven weasels running the house? But seriously, I had NO IDEA you could become a certified instructor..is there a website that tells one how to go about this?

You don't need to be certified to teach crocheting. I have been teaching for 5 years. I have much better things to do with the money it would cost me to get certified. Buy more YARN!!!!!

You don't need to be certified to teach crocheting. I have been teaching for 5 years. I have much better things to do with the money it would cost me to get certified. Buy more YARN!!!!!

While this is true, I think that for those that want to persue it, it would still be a good thing, whether one ends up teaching or not.

• 2 months later...

I don't have the slightest desire to become CERTIFIED. I have been crocheting for around 15 years and haven't had a problem yet and I've taught lots of people to crochet most of which are 20 to 30 even 40 years older than me.

All that said, if you want to go for it. I say Go for it. Have fun and let us all know what you think of it.

Julee

My first thought was "how many generations went by with no certified instructors?" Crochet managed to survive without the benefit of "certified" teachers for ages. While I understand why someone pursuing a career in crochet would want to have something like that for their resume, it strikes me as yet another way for the craft yarn council to make a buck. But I warn you, I am very cynical and cranky and that's probably the reason for my opinion.

sara

My first thought was "how many generations went by with no certified instructors?" Crochet managed to survive without the benefit of "certified" teachers for ages. While I understand why someone pursuing a career in crochet would want to have something like that for their resume, it strikes me as yet another way for the craft yarn council to make a buck. But I warn you, I am very cynical and cranky and that's probably the reason for my opinion.

sara

That was what I was thinking too. Just another way for them to get rich.

There are places in this world that are only opened with pieces of paper and if you wish to enter those places then you should get the pieces of paper.

I think it is an admirable thing to pit your skills against a standard that is set by others.

it is not something I would do - at least not now; maybe 5 or 10 years ago - but I think it could be a very valuable experience.

The only word of caution I have is that there was a report of lost submissions a while back - have a plan B ready if it should be needed.

sara

With a fee of only $125 to complete the certification, I don't think the Craft Yarn Council is getting rich off of everyone who completes the program. ;)

However, you're right that this certification is most likely more for those who want to be considered professionals in the crochet industry. For those who have fun teaching crochet to their friends, there's no need at all to become certified.

But for those who want to become a teaching professional, as in teach at industry trade shows, travel to yarn stores to teach classes, and so on, having the certification credential is another accomplishment to add to your resume. Especially when you're new to the industry, having the credentials really helps establish your credibility. Once you've been around awhile and your name is recognizable, the credential becomes less important.

But as with any credential, it might serve to open certain doors that might remain closed if you don't have the credential.

I know I'm a professional crocheter and I don't need a certificate to tell me that.

I've taught lots of people to crochet and they never ask "Are you certified?". They look at my work and know that I am good at what I do and that I can teach them how to make what ever they want to make.

Just another of my many opinions.

Have a great day ya'll!!

Julee

Had to add. I don't think a piece of paper makes you any better at anything, or will land you a better job. It's your work ethic and quality of work. Just like with college, alot of people go to college and never use what they went for which I think is very sad. Especially with the cost of college.

Not that I have anything against going to college or taking a course to become a so called certified crocheter. I just think it's a waste of time and money personally. But that's just me.

Julee, I'm speaking of "professional" as in recognized as such by the large crochet industry (publishers, manufacturers, distributors, etc.).

I do believe that a piece of paper will land you a better job in many different circumstances. (Of course, there are others where it won't.) For instance, you won't land a teaching job in a public school without a teaching degree and a teaching certificate. :)

So I do believe the CYCA teacher certification can open up some doors to people who are just breaking into the industry, where the doors might otherwise remain shut. But there are also other areas in which the certification is not necessary for what a person wants to do: teaching crochet locally, starting an etsy shop or other online business, etc.

The teacher certification does have a very valid purpose, although there will be very many highly-skilled crocheters who just don't have a reason to take advantage of it.

I know I'm a professional crocheter and I don't need a certificate to tell me that.

I've taught lots of people to crochet and they never ask "Are you certified?". They look at my work and know that I am good at what I do and that I can teach them how to make what ever they want to make.

I guess that's what's so wrong about the crochet "Industry". A little to ritzy as with everything I guess. You have to have that piece of paper,lots of the other pieces of paper (money) and friends in high places to really get anywhere unless you are truly talented (kinda with the music industry). Now, that isn't true for everyone. Some people have the money, talent and certificate and are really good.

But like I said before. I have nothing against people who want to become certified, but I still hold true to "just because you have a license, it doesn't mean you can drive" or crochet well.

Anyways, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just get fired up when people tell me you have to have a piece of paper that says your good at something before you can be truly good at something.

Well, time to go crochet this little rant-ish sorta thing off.

This has been an interesting thread to read.

Thanks for not pumeling me!

Julee

But like I said before. I have nothing against people who want to become certified, but I still hold true to "just because you have a license, it doesn't mean you can drive" or crochet well.

Anyways, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just get fired up when people tell me you have to have a piece of paper that says your good at something before you can be truly good at something.

I don't think anybody in this thread has said that you have to have that piece of paper to be considered truly good at something. It's definitely possible to be good at teaching without having this particular certification.

However, if you put two people side by side in consideration for a job, who are both unknown to those evaluating them, and their experiences look pretty similar, the quality of their work is pretty similar, but one has the credential and one does not, who would you think is going to get the job offer? In most cases, it will be the one with the credential.

Not because they're actually any better than the other person. But just because a third party has already evaluated their skills and found them sufficient to bestow that credential upon them. At that point, their ability is known and proven, while the ability of the other party is not.

Things might be different if the one without the credential was a known entity to the persons doing the evaluating. If there is personal first-hand knowledge of a person's skills, then the credential of another person is less important.

It all boils down to the fact that without personal first-hand knowledge of someone, the person with a credential that verifies their skills have been evaluated by an impartial third party will be seen differently than the person without the credential.

Just think about it: if you had two resumes from people that looked equal on the surface, and you knew nothing further about either candidate, but one had a certification and one did not, what possible incentive would you have to take a risk on the person without the certification (assuming the certification was a respected one within whatever the given industry is)? There wouldn't be any incentive. You'd have to choose the person with the certification, from a logical, business-minded perspective.

I am a member of the Craft Yarn Council and am very familiar with the program. Many years the council loses money on the program. Other years it may break even. You certainly do not need certification to teach effectively.

But there are companies, such as Michaels when they still had classes, which would prefer certified instructors if they were available.

I don't believe the teaching certification is of of any particular value in launching a design career.and , contrary to many people's opinions, you do not need to know someone to launch a design career. You just need to be a darn good, innovative designer. Many of today's top designers just suddenly appeared one day out of nowhere with the right designs at the right time.

Any crocheter who wants to launch a design career would be helped by attending the CGOA Chain Link annual conference, wearing her/his own designs daily, submitting designs for the fashion show, and getting to meet and to know publishers and editors who are attending.

I have many times bought designs quite literally off the back of a designer

at the show who was wearing it, and in all but one of these cases, it was an unknown designer.

Jean Leinhauser

Archived