certified instructors - updated

certified instructor through Craft Yarn Council of America (or other council)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. certified instructor through Craft Yarn Council of America (or other council)

• I am certified in Crochet
    • I am certified in Knitting
    • I am certified in both Crochet and Knitting
    • I am NOT certified, but am considering it
    • I haven't the slightest desire to get certified
    • just for laughs...I'm certifiable lol

Wow..... I have just received the papers to become certified and I am very excited. I am a grade school teacher by profession, part-time, and I always believe in more education, but it is on a personal basis of "desire" rather than a must. If you want to add some more to your resume', or show you have accomplished another avenue or step in crocheting, then go for it. If it is not your thing then don't. But either way teaching requires something more than just experience when trying to get a job. I also believe that becoming a certified teacher will open up doors for you to meet designers and others who teach. Its a networking step. I was at last year's CGOA and sat next to a designer who told me that she was certified and encouraged me to do the same. I am taking her advise. I think that it is my "desire" to get certified, if its not yours that is fine too....

I think I would be interested. I went to the website, but I couldn't find where the class would take place. Can I do it over the net? Do I need to physically be there? It would be fun to go. I might be able to find a friend or two who would like to go to.

I do know that a piece of 'paper' would get you through more doors than without one. That's an unfortant truth of our world today and I competely understand it. For me, crochet is a love affair between me and my yarn! I don't see any need for ME to become certified. Until this thread I didn't even know such a thing was offered! LOL I can understand how it would be a great idea for some, just not for me.

If I were in the USA, I'd do it. Not with any intention to teach, but simply for the challenge of it. By testing myself against standards set by others, I would learn something and improve. I wish I had the chance to do so - this forum has been a great help and inspiration, and just by looking at other people's work and reading the threads, I have improved so much. I'd do the certification for the learning experience, which I love.

I think it is a challenge you can set for yourself to master the program. It would be work, and I don't have the time or energy to do it! LOL! But to any that do, my hat's off to you!

• 5 months later...

Truthfully, I spend so much time keeping up my certifications for my job (PALS, ACLS, CPR, ITLS, CPS, Nat'l Registry, etc) that a certification for my hobby and something I like to teach friends just would suck some of the fun out of it. But then I'm not looking to make any money at it either. I already have 3 jobs (down from 5! Whoo-hoo!!) and I don't want anything else that even remotely smacks of a job.

I know I can crochet really well. And I know I teach it to friends and family. That's enough for me. But the rest of you all have my encouragement if you want to get certified!

:hook Colleen

• 3 weeks later...

Certification is not just the ability to have advanced knowledge of your craft, but also the ability to pass this knowledge on in a correct and meaningful manner. You need to answer questions and do it in a manner that is not threatening. You need to demonstrate and set examples in a way that is acceptable to both experienced and just learning people. You have to make the product (crocheting) appealing and desireable.

You can be very experienced, but that doesn't mean you can teach too...

Teaching to strangers is not the same as teaching to family and friends. You can be yourself and even be human by making little mistakes, with family and friends. Strangers, especially those who have paid for the "privilege" of learning from you, may not be as forgiving.

Getting "Juried" is a positive step towards certification, as your work is examined and judged by those who are very experienced in the field of your craft. Joining a local crochet guild can help you to meet people who will advise and offer positive criticism.

• 5 weeks later...

1/25/09 - I'm happy to write that I completed the certification process in Part 1 Crochet and Parts 1 and 2 Knitting through the CYCOA. At the time I wrote the first post, I was considering it. Thereafter, I applied for both certifications and completed Crochet and Knitting together and passed Part 1 in each. It was suggested that on Part 2 I give my attention to one or the other, not both at the same time, and I did the Knitting. I was close to "done" for a few months, but procrastinated on getting it all together....don't know why I did that. I'm now beginning on Part 2 of Crocheting. It will be interesting to teach myself broomstick and hairpin lace~!

P.S. If I knew how to change my answer to the poll, I'd have updated that too.

I've read everyone's posts, interesting topic. I have taught a small class before, with the help of some friends and the Needle Arts Mentoring Program (NAMP). I truly enjoyed it! I have also taught a few friends, I truly enjoy doing it!! I am very tempted to go for a certificate, for the challenge, but also to maybe teach it more "professionally" some day, as in getting paid to teach it, but that sounds almost sacreligious!!!

For those who have taken, or are taking the classes....

How long does it take to complete one of the classes? Are the projects very expensive (the material, yarn in other words)?? Do you think it would help lead to creating your own designs?? :think:hook

For those who have taken, or are taking the classes....

How long does it take to complete one of the classes? Are the projects very expensive (the material, yarn in other words)?? Do you think it would help lead to creating your own designs?? :think:hook

The materials can be whatever you have on hand from your stash, assuming you have a few different weights of yarn in your stash. As to completing the classes, if you attend in person in NY, it is a weekend. If you attend at an event, like last Sept. in Oregon, a day...however, your workbook containing written homework and swatches gets completed at your own pace (within 6 months) and you must have 15 verifiable teaching hours. Basically, with the correspondence course, you're teaching yourself (assuming there are tasks you've not yet tackled) and going at your own pace. The course is in 2 parts.

• 2 years later...

It appears this has not be discussed for quite some time. I will continue to search further through previous posts. In the meantime, can anyone comment on the types of information you will need to complete? Thanks in advance!

Archived