Lil Help??

:lol hey all!

well to keep this short and to the point, i was just wondering how many of you are any good at knitting too?

and whether learning knitting is tougher than crochet?

I'm pretty good at picking crochet up,

but knitting, i dunno

i tried a purl stitch and had a really bad experience, then moved on to crochet :lol:lol:lol:lol

anyway! Thanks to whoever answers <3

:manyheart:yay:hug

I didn't find knitting any more difficult than crochet to learn but I just find it is much slower. I have gotten back to doing a fair bit of knitting lately but only my preemie hats mostly.

It's slower, but if you learn Continental, it'll most likely make more sense to you. I'm finishing a knitted hooded baby sweater right now. (At least, I HOPE I'm finishing it. This button band has taken about two hours.)

You can do both. Videos help a lot more than the old line drawings in books where it looks like somebody waving a strand of yarn around in midair for no good reason :D

I have crocheted for about 35 years... And I have tried to teach myself to knit 2 times! I can't get the hand holding thing. I understand how the stitches are made... but I want to hold my hand somewhat like I crochet! This isn't working for me at all! LOL! I think I need a real person to show me how to hold my hands. I never thought about videos.. that may work. I love knitted socks... and want to make some soooooooo bad!

i learnt knitting in school.. they made us do an entire baby set (top, booties and bonnet) in class.. that was waaaaay overdose knitting for me and i havent touched it since..

since no one forced me to learn crochet i enjoy it better!! :P

When I was younger my grandmother held my hands up and told me I would never be able to knit. She said I would be able to crochet though and she was right about both of them. I can't knit to save my life but I have no problem crocheting.

I taught myself to knit when I was in college--about 20 years ago. I made several projects then--mostly simply pullover vests--and haven't knit anything since. I always kept the needles, though (which I think my grandmother gave me), and when my 10yo daughter, who is very good at crocheting, asked about learning to knit, I pulled out the old needles, looked at some online tutorials, and gave it another go.

It took me two WEEKS to finish a dishcloth (now, I'm sure I could pick up some speed with practice, but it is slow). I put the needles away and it may be another 20 years before I bother with them again. My 10yo decided it was too slow for her, too. I bought her some very nice wool to knit a scarf (bulky weight, so it would go more quickly), and she is crocheting the scarf!!!

The bottom line for me is that I don't really have the motivation to make the things that knitting is best for--sweaters, mostly. I don't crochet sweaters, either. Things I like to make--doilies, purses, the occasional scarf or shawl--are better crocheted (for me).

Now socks--I've crocheted a few pairs of socks, and I would like to knit them, too, but all those double-pointed hooks look SCARY. :eek

I proved to myself that I could knit if I wanted to, then I went back to crocheting. :lol

<< and whether learning knitting is tougher than crochet?

I learned to crochet first, then wanted to learn to knit. I did have a bit of a hard time, but talked to women in the Knitting Knook uptown (no longer there, sadly), and they said it depends what you learn first. If I'd learned knitting first, I'd probably have a harder time learning to crochet.

I was stubborn, and would not give up till I learned, I figured then I would decide whether to keep knitting, or give it up. I do still knit, and love to knit dolls especially (clothes take me way too long), but rarely pick up the needles being too busy with crochet.

If you really want to learn to knit, don't let the bad experience with the purl stitch stop you. Maybe set it aside for a day or so, then try again, I'm sure you'll catch on!

Sally

I am a very ....slow knitter, I keep going back to it because, well I am stubborn and refuse to give in. It is nice to know how to do both...I feel awkard with two sticks instead of a hook..made a little more awkward because I am left handed. I have tried both conventional knitting and continental knitting...while continental knitting patterns make more sense to me..holding the yarn etc, conventional knitting seems to be easier for me...oh well..onward and upward...I would give it a shot if I were you..nice to know both!!

Flia,

Thank you so much for posting this site. I have book marked it to revisit when I'm ready to jump into learning knitting again. I, too, bought a book a few years ago and just got frustrated. I'll look forward to checking out videos and having "someone" to follow along with. Thank you!!:hug

Patty

I have tried to knit using the continental videos on knittinghelp.com and can do the knit stitch and feel too overwhelmed to go on. I have so many crochet hooks in the fire that I really feel no time to devote to it right now either.

I knit and crochet both and although knitting is much slower I love it too. Tina, I was taught to knit by a group of Swedish ladies who owned a knitting shop! The way the video shows how to cast on is exactly the way I was taught! Thanks for the site. I can refresh my mind when I need to!

Bonnie

I'm just in the process of teaching myself to knit, continental style. I made huge progress at first, but am now slowing down and feeling very hamfisted with these two great sticks instead of my flying hook! But I will persevere....I have an ambition to one day make something from that beautiful book "Victorian Lace Today"!

I was taught to knit as a child. My grandmother also tried to teach me to crochet, but it didn't work,. I taught myself to crochet when I was in my twenties. I find knitting to be slower and much more cumbersome, even though I've learned it first. Crocheting, on the other hand, fits me much better. It is more graceful, and just "flows " much better, and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy knitting at all.

Knitting? NOPE!!!!!!! I can, but it takes too long compared to crochet, so I don't unless it's something I really love, and I can't tell you how seldom that happens. Remember the sweater that Barbra Strisand wore in "A Star is Born"? That was the last time I knitted. I had a pattern very similar to it.(it was stolen, by the way, mine, not hers.) I have the pattern still, but can't bring myself to make it again. Too old to wear it now, I guess. Oh well, I digress. :blush

Right well the only reason I ask is because I was in Good old Coles bookstore loking around and saw this amazing magazine. I picked it up and was mostly knitting. It was called....Vogue Knitting...Or Vogue Knit. But I instantly fell in love WITH EVERYTHING. and it's all knitted. and i dunno about that. maybe i can TURN THEM INTO CROCHET! :P yeah right hahahaha

I taught myself both from books and I love both, and I don't find one faster or slower than the other. They make vastly different fabrics, so you need to determine which will give the results you want for the project you are making. And guess what! There are books and tutorials that will tell you how to convert a knitting pattern to crochet and vice versa!

I taught myself both from books and I love both, and I don't find one faster or slower than the other. They make vastly different fabrics, so you need to determine which will give the results you want for the project you are making. And guess what! There are books and tutorials that will tell you how to convert a knitting pattern to crochet and vice versa!

SIQQQQQQQQQQQQQ! that's exciting :):clap

I learned how to do circular knitting, I enjoyed it, but never really sat still long enough to finish anything. It was easy to learn,I cant remember for the life of me today how to do it, But I myself like crocheting more, I like to use one hook verse the 2 needles. But thats just me.

Kim

I taught myself to knit first and a few years later taught myself to crochet. Knitting seems to be a little slower for me but then, I'm usually using a thinner yarn and needles. I like to do both but can spend day after day crocheting and only want to knit once in a while. Throw in the sewing I do and I've got enough stuff going on.

Archived