Yes, I am jealous, I made one too ☺ a hook!

Hello everyone, I just finished it :cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer

I have been messing around with wood... Yes you heard right, wood. And last night after I got a bit jealous, I decided to give a try at sth.... You can see the results here....

IMG_7138smallcopy.jpg

Of course I was inspired by Jimbo :hugI have been admiring his work, but sadly the hooks are out of my budget for now ( I am getting one oneday though!)

I made this one using a branch from a rosebush and I was pretty surprised to see that the wood smelled of roses (well I thought only the flowers smell...)

It s about a 7.00 mm hook (that makes it close to a K, I think) I love the result and I will be sure to make more.

Anyway I started this last night and finished it this morning :yay:yay What do you think of it? here are some close ups photos

IMG_7149small-full;init:.jpg

IMG_7145small-full;init:.jpg

I decided to leave the tiny bit at the end, cause it looked good and I wanted it to show where it came from. I am not sure if I am going to varnish this one, I think I will just go for a beeswax finish ☺

To start with I used the biggy one in the middle that I borrowed from my dad, when this morning I found that kit on sale :yay:clap:yay It just cost me 8€, this is 12 $. I couldn't resist and I got it :)

IMG_7152small-full;init:.jpg

This is what I thought to... until I tried it :manyheart it s not perfect, but it works well :manyheart, I already have so many projects in mind to do , but my hands are itching to use this hook (I ve only made a swatch so far...) We ll see :) I will make more now I know how relaxing and rewarding it is :) Thank you Jimbo for inspiring me to do this :)

VERY nice!! I've tried to use my local Rose bushes but aside from getting poked, the wood isn't firm enough for hooks. You've done well!!! I especially like to leave a bit of bark, bug tunnels, knots, even cracks (that don't affect hook use) to keep some character of the stick before it became a hook. I'm pleased that you see that too.

Jimbo

You ladies are just amazing the daylights out of me this week! Now I'm chomping at the bit to try to make my own hook out of wood! A couple of months ago I bought the booklet from Annie's Attic on how to carve your own crochet hook from wood for DH, but we still have to purchase the X-acto knives and other stuff that we're going to need to do it. As it is, I'm so jealous of you girls carving your own hooks that DH is likely not even going to get the chance to make some for me, because I'm going to be trying it out myself! :lol

I LOVE the rose hook! The bit of bark at the bottom of it is just beautiful! It gives it such character and individuality! And I LOVE the way you described that it still smells like roses! Congrats on a teriffic achievement! You did great! :cheer:clap

Archived