Prayer Afghan Ministry - Squares Needed

Croshay

Pat, I'll be glad to help coach you through working with multiple colors if I can. Or Judy might be better at explaining it, since she's the Queen of the Graph-ghans. :lol Also, I usually don't carry the thread when crocheting like that because it can tend to get thick and bulky - at least from my experience. I prefer to have separate yarn for each color when possible. The ribbon afghan I've been working on isn't bad as far as multiple colors. The most colors I had going on at any time was 5.

Gee, only 5 :lol I'd be thrilled to work with 2:think

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup - the avatar I have up is a pic of a huge graphghan I made my great nephew last year. The parents are using it as a wall hanging:)

The only time I would carry the unused thread is in a tapestry project (I hope to make at leat one this year). Even on the ribbon graph I made for a friend's ghan I used multiple balls of yarn so I wouldn't carry any over.

Lisa, the idea of a white ribbon with the color as background is a good one - not too much white that way. I would have suggested a white background and colored ribbon, but I'm thinking for ease of care using a color for the overall look is more practical.

Now I have lots more options for the next squares I make:hook I get bored with the same pattern....way too easily:blush

Yup - the avatar I have up is a pic of a huge graphghan I made my great nephew last year. The parents are using it as a wall hanging:)

The only time I would carry the unused thread is in a tapestry project (I hope to make at leat one this year). Even on the ribbon graph I made for a friend's ghan I used multiple balls of yarn so I wouldn't carry any over.

Ok, I guess I don't get it. I understand you would have numerous balls of different color yarn but do you constantly cut the yarn every couple of stitches:think. I guess I'll have to find a pattern and try it to understand. I just remember reading one and they talked about carrying the yarn along the back and well I just didn't try it.

Ok, I guess I don't get it. I understand you would have numerous balls of different color yarn but do you constantly cut the yarn every couple of stitches:think. I guess I'll have to find a pattern and try it to understand. I just remember reading one and they talked about carrying the yarn along the back and well I just didn't try it.

Pat, I'll try to explain, although I'm not the best at explain things...but here goes...

Say you're doing sc's...when you get to the last part of the st where you yarn over & pull it through the 2 lps on the hook....you just yarn over with the new color which is the color of the next st. You don't have to carry your yarn across; you can just have a skein or yarn bobbin for each color. I hope that makes more sense. I'm better at showing or seeing than explaining in writing. :eek

Hi Croshay,

I just dropped a package in the mail to you: 2 navy blue, 1 teal, and 1 orange square. Also, I've included 2 squares for your son's comfortghan. I was sharing with my daughter, Emma, (she's almost 12) about the squares for your son and it has inspired her to start crocheting! She completed her first granny square and wanted me to send it along. It's obviously a first attempt, but it was made with love and care so hopefully you will be able to use it.

We'll send more as we get them done!

-Sharon

Pat, check and see if there's a tutorial on the internet. I know Tapestry Crochet has a site, but that carries the unused yarn under and with the MC. Letting the unused yarn hang from the wrong side of the piece as Lisa said, is how it's done. Then when you make another pass over it you pick it up again. PM me and I'll give you some more info if you want.

Hi Croshay,

I just dropped a package in the mail to you: 2 navy blue, 1 teal, and 1 orange square. Also, I've included 2 squares for your son's comfortghan. I was sharing with my daughter, Emma, (she's almost 12) about the squares for your son and it has inspired her to start crocheting! She completed her first granny square and wanted me to send it along. It's obviously a first attempt, but it was made with love and care so hopefully you will be able to use it.

We'll send more as we get them done!

-Sharon

Sharon, thanks for the heads-up. I'll let you know when your package arrives. :jumpyay

That is so sweet about your Emma wanting to learn to crochet because of my son! Give her a :hug for me and tell her I said :ty so much for wanting to help my son feel better...and also to have lots of fun learning to :crocheting. I've done it since I was a little girl and I've always :heart'd it.

ScoobyDoo - THANK YOU for the 2 beautiful teal squares that I picked up from church tonight. They're just perfect and exactly what we needed to have enough for our first afghan made of squares! :party

Your 2 squares also brought us to a total of 50 squares received so far! This is fantastic! :jumpyay

Keep up the great work, ladies! :ghug

What color do you think I should use to sew/crochet the teal squares together? :think I'm thinking white but thought I'd ask for some input.

I'm so excited to get our first afghan put together! I can't wait to call the gal at the CRC and tell her I've got that one and my big ribbon one ready! :hyper

Thanks, ladies! :D It doesn't show quite as much skill as Judy's, but it'll do! :lol

Well that's depends on who's looking:lol For me they both show great skill

Pat, are you making lapghans?

If that's the case and this project here ends up with odds and ends of colors but not enough for a complete ghan in one color, they could work for you.

Am I assuming something here?? I do tend to jump into the middle of a conversation with both feet - even when I'm not in it:blush

Pat - here's another thought...make up a square with a pretty pattern...in a dark yarn like navy blue (hint hint :lol)...then lay it on a light-colored background & use that. I've seen similar avatars & they're really pretty. :yes

Is there any color that you are in need of more then others? I would like to help if I can. I have a big stash that I am trying to dwindle down. I can't think of a better way.

Is there any color that you are in need of more then others? I would like to help if I can. I have a big stash that I am trying to dwindle down. I can't think of a better way.

Hi Karin :waving and thanks so much for offering to help!

The main colors for now are burgundy and ivory together (head/neck cancer), lime green (lymphoma), navy blue (colon), orange (leukemia), teal (ovarian and/or cervical), and white (lung).

If you don't have those colors, you can use any of the colors listed in the first message of this thread.

If you need more information, please email me at PrayerAfghanMinistry@yahoo.com :U

:ty and :hug

Croshay, thank you for your suggestions I think I might just try the one with the square in navy of course:lol

Judy, I'm not totally sure what you mean. Croshay is trying to help me find an avatar that I liked since the two of you have such nice ones of your work. Feel free to jump in any time, it doesn't bother me.:D

Judy, I'm not totally sure what you mean. Croshay is trying to help me find an avatar that I liked since the two of you have such nice ones of your work. Feel free to jump in any time, it doesn't bother me.:D

My DH often doesn't know what I mean - and he's known me over 40 years:lol:lol:lol

Archived