Walmart - more bad yarn news!

charkitty

i agree! We do not have a wal-mart right here in our town so when i drive the 30 miles one way to go to wal-mart i would love to find what i'm looking for. The easiest store for us to get to has completely done away with the fabric dept. and moved the yarn & sewing supplies over to an aisle where you might get half the aisle for everything to do with crafting and sewing. The rest is all pre-packaged arts and crafts quick projects for kids. So for me and other crocheter/knitter's in town its either order online or drive to houston! Although we have just recently had a small business open by an individual she promises to get in our favorite yarns/thread wooohooo!!! Sure wish wal-mart was what it used to be tho!

Here in Bullhead Wal Mart got rid of their fabric :( But in Havasu and Kingman they still have fabric..For me it's an hour drive either way..Then when I get REALLY LUCKY I get to go to Hendersen (Nevada) and go to Joann's and their WalMart has fabric..We NEED some craft stores here,cause all the little botiques charge an arm and a leg for their fabric..What to do...

This almost happened to our Walmart here (Keene NH) but the deal they were trying to get fell through so they're keeping their yarn and fabrics for now. (They also restocked the yarn department so for the moment it's pretty good).

Our Wal-Mart has already gotten rid of all embroidery supplies and we're in the middle of a remodel and just last week-end the lady in fabric, etc. told me that they are planning on drastically reducing the yarn and craft sections. Currently I shop at Wal-Mart alot, if they get rid of yarn, hooks, etc. I won't go there for anything. It really makes me mad. Of course, you won't see them getting rid of the sportmens sections or electronics.

Well, they can't 'drastically reduce' much more around here, or it will ALL be gone! They do still carry some fabric, and some yarn, or they did last time I was there. It might be gone by next week. Maybe they just don't realize how popular it is or something.

I can't figure out just what they DO intend to keep carrying though. A while back I looked and looked trying to find an iced tea maker... almost never found it, and they had ONE left. Other things I've either had to go elsewhere to buy, can't find it here.

I was rather surprised the last time I went to WalMart. I can never resist checking out the yarns, to my surprise they had RH super saver in 16oz. sizes. I asked the saleslady, if they were going to get more and she said yes. Customers had been requesting larger sizes on the RH. Now I won't have to order online and pay the outrageous shipping charges. The big surprise will be not finding a bunch of knots in the RH yarns. I've ran upon that problem many times.

Back in the fall, the cutting ladies at Wal-Mart started telling customers the fabrics would be phased out by the beginning of the year....other crafts would probably go too, but they didn't know what else would be out.

So far, I'm been surprised every time I go to see the craft section is still there. They have cut down on some of the fabric and they have make the craft section smaller each time. Seems they are making the sports/hunting section bigger instead. Lots of yarns have been on clearance, so it was a good time to stock up over Christmas. However, I noticed they brought in some new pattern books and a few new Lion Brand yarns.

Still, it looks like they are phasing the craft section out. I mainly go now and check the clearance bin and/or stock up on things I really need. Since it clearly looks as if they are phasing the craft section out, I've noticed how many people are shopping for yarn and fabrics.

At least I have other options for supplies, and from the looks of it, the Wal-Mart in the big town next to me will keep it's craft section....at least for now.

They were going to do the same where I live, put in a Party Land and reduce the fabric/craft/yarn section. Enough people complained to the manger about wanting to keep that section and they changed their minds and kept it.

Perhaps you could get a petition going to keep it or tell everyone you know to complain to the store manager about it and maybe you'll get the same results we did.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked last Thursday and the Wal Mart closest to me still has their yarn section, with NO sale bins... looks like it will still be there for awhile. Fairly good selection of yarns, no empty bins.... but I didn't buy any, can you believe it?

I work for Walmart. I have to say that I dislike that about as much as I dislike shopping there... but it's a job. :sigh

Incidentally, the Walmart where I live doesn't seem to be cutting back on anything. They have a fair yarn selection. Not really all that much better or worse than it was a couple years back. They even have a couple of colors of RHSS that the craft shops like Joann's and Michaels don't have (Cherry Chip being the major one with me). They don't appear to be clearancing out much of the fabric, but they've gotten rid of some of their beads and jewelry making supplies. Besides that, it doesn't look as though anything has really changed, and I'm not hearing rumors of changes, either.

Though, interestingly, I hear people complaining to me that they're upset that Walmart is going to be getting rid of the craft and fabrics department... and yet, no changes have happened. :think

It isn't that I don't expect that they won't. Walmart is stupid that way. If they don't sell enough of it as fast as they want it sold, then they get rid of it. They're in it for the profits, no doubt.

Trinket, funny you should mention RHSS Cherry Chip. Wal*Mart is the only place I've found it, too.

You can take in your Joann's ad from the Sunday paper and price match your purchases of Red Heart SS yarn and each skein will only cost you $1.99. That's a great deal!

Trinket, funny you should mention RHSS Cherry Chip. Wal*Mart is the only place I've found it, too.

I thought that was really odd... Back where I used to live, I did once see it at Hobby Lobby, but there's not one nearby to me (oh, how I wish there was!), so I'm not sure if that still stands true or not.

JoAnn's DOES have the TLC color equivalent of "Cherry Chip". It's just that it costs $3.69 a skein. Even though it a little nicer, it's a bit too costly for my tastes.

Ladies, call the main wal-mart 1-800 number to keep your crafts department. It worked for a wal-mart about 40 miles from here. That is the only place in that town to get craft supplies and wal-mart was going to do away with it. However, enough customers called in complaining, so they decided to keep it.

I went to another Wal Mart yesterday, and they haven't cut down on their crafts dept., either. And they had a pretty good selection of yarn, maybe not quite as much as they once did.

I was out of town the last couple of days in Lake Havasu City, AZ, and stopped by the Wal-Mart. They not only had the interchangeable hook set (in a case) to help with my hands, but they had an entire wall of yarn. They even had pink camo, which excited me to no end. I left with the hooks, a small pattern book, and 3 skeins of the pink camo. :applause

• 5 weeks later...

I recently went in to buy the Bernat Softee Baby which less than a year ago was $2.18 per skein. Now it's $3.27, about 50% higher. I didn't look at other brands, but if increasing the prices is their way to force out the yarn area it's a pretty crummy way to do it.

OH I thought it was just me that hit the yarn and fabric dept when I went in there! I hope it isnt changing here in the ones near me although here in the phoenix az area they are about 2 miles apart just about!So I thought it was just the one I went into! Fiddle sticks if they change those section where I am going to get my 1.00 yrd fabric at lol

Was in Walmart (Boothwyn, PA) yarn section and was very disappointed to see very little yarn...looked like it was going out of business or previously had a big sale. Asked employee if they were going to get any more yarn. Of course, she gave me the dreaded answer....the yarn/fabric area is going to drastically be reduced and a 'Party Land' will take up most of the space. She said the manager really fought to keep yarn/fabric, but no success. What's with Walmart and Party Land?!!! Most of the party land stuff can be gotten at any dollar store for far less!

Walmart has really changed. The shelves are not stocked as well as in the past. The clothes selections suck and the sales are not what they used to be. Beginning to look more like a grocery store!

End of rant! lol

charkitty

You have that right! Walmart here is about the same, looks like they are clearing out some of the crafts section, but all the cross stitch stuff is gone, the fabric is next to nothing, for now there is a "small" area of yarn--but the yarn used to take up a whole wall from top to bottom.

Archived