Annie's Hooked on Crochet DISCONTINUED!

PoetryinYarn

Wait....I just had my subscription to Annie's Favorite Crochet changed to Annie's Hooked on Crochet and now they are discontinuing that one too? Strange....

But then again, maybe that is the reason that I haven't been bombarded with notices that my subscription is expiring soon...that has certainly been nice but I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Hmmmmmm...

Sara

I wrote as I have a subscription to Hooked on Crochet prepaid for a long time this is the response:

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for your email. In the spring we will merge Annie's Hooked on Crochet with Crochet World. If you do not wish to continue with this publication, please contact us and we will be happy to issue you a refund.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Thank you,

Lisa,

Customer Service

1-800-282-6643

So we had:

Annie's Favorites

Hooked on Crochet

They merged to be:

Annie's Hooked on Crochet

Now that's going to merge with Crochet World. I wonder if they'll change the name again and how it'll affect the magazine. I liked the other two/one magazine sometimes. I like CW more often.

We'll have to wait and see. LOL

I hope they don't make Crochet World more like the other two. Crochet World is homey, but not tacky, and frankly, much of what I saw in Hooked on Crochet and Annie's Favorites was old-fashioned (in the worst sense of the term), tacky and "what not to crochet"-worthy.

I've actually made things in Crochet World, but not from the other two.

But I noticed this past issue of Crochet! had some really tacky, uh, crud, in it. Looks like standards are slipping down in Texas.

Oh, no!! I subscribe to both of them... and paid for renewals on them just recently. I agree, I like Crochet World a little better, too.

I used to make things from Hooked on Crochet several years ago, but stopped getting it for a long time, then reordered it a year or so ago... I am disappointed. I got Annie's Favorite Crochet once or twice, then cancelled it... didn't like it.

Hmmm... looks like Texas is getting hooked on other things... besides crochet!

I may have to make a little trip to Big Sandy and talk to Annie... or whoever runs the place now. J/K, but I am disappointed.

I subscribed to Crochet World on and off through the last few years,this time I applied online for a free "Hooked on Crochet"--got the book with a bill no less. I didn't like any of the patterns, so I mailed the invoice with "cancel" on it back to them; I'll stay with Crochet World, but lately I'm finding more patterns in CW that I don't like either:ohdear

You know, that's werid. I wonder what's going on because I just got a letter that they are shutting down their plastic canvas magazine and switched my subscription to Crochet world which I already have a subscription to. This isn't good. I love plastic canvas too and now I don't even know if there is a magazine still published for it.

This just confirms my belief that the websites that post scans of craft magazines are killing the magazine industry...and ruining things for the rest of us.

I highly doubt that. Most magazines companies own more than one or two magazines. Usually if they discontinue one they have reasons for such as it's not selling well/making money; or in some cases even if it's doing well they can only afford to keep publishing a few so some get cut.

I've had this happen to me at least three different times.

This just confirms my belief that the websites that post scans of craft magazines are killing the magazine industry...and ruining things for the rest of us.

I don't think it's scans that are impacting the industry. There is just so much publishing going on via the internet. It's much cheaper and more profitable for a company or individual to publish patterns on the internet. People pay more for the individual patterns and the publishing costs are nearly zero.

I posted this in another thread but will post it here since there is interest.

I just got off the phone with the publisher of Hooked On Crochet. Why it is merging is this: The magazine was doing well, but the managing side said that the patterns were the same type as Crochet World and the demographics were the same, so they decided to merge the 2 magazines. The editor of HOC, Brenda Stratton is now freelancing.

So there it is, straight form the horse's mouth.

As for Crochet!, the magazine, the demographics are leaning toward the younger market, so maybe that's why a few of the subscribers don't like the patterns because they are too trendy. But Crochet! is still alive.

Archived