dishcloth advice

Okay, crocheters, I am participating in the upcoming kitchen swap, and I have a question for anyone who uses dishcloths. I've never made them before, and wonder if there's a reason some characteristics might work better than others. I can already imagine that some people might prefer smaller dishcloths over larger ones, but how about the stitch used? Do raised stitches, like fpdc and bpdc, make a more useful cleaning surface or do they make the dishcloth too thick to function? I'm excited to start, but want to make my partner something she'll like and use, and pondering this question is going to have to tide me over till the swap starts on Friday! :hook TIA, Patty

I'd make them bigger than you think they should be, as sometimes mine shrink a bit. CPC has some GREAT patterns. Texture is nice, but if you're not careful it can be pretty thick. I like a thinner cloth myself, as mine are mostly used for wiping up spills and crumbs off the counters. Cotton is a deffinate for cloths. Acrylic just doesn't work as well, and can actually scratch some surfaces if you aren't careful. A little loop on a corner to hang them by is nice too, since sometimes mine double as a pot holder when grabing something out of the micro.

Most importantly, have fun, as I'm sure your swap partner will LOVE whatever she gets, because you made it just for her!

I made some for my cousin for Christmas and she said they were to big, so I made her some smaller ones.....just reg dc about 7/8" square. So it really is a personal choice, I would do as suggested and make different sizes, textures, etc...Good luck and enjoy your swap!!!

Oh, I knew about cotton already, and cotton was specified in the swap survey form even if I hadn't. But I don't use them myself. Having had 2 dishwashers replaced because the seals dried out (I used to travel a lot for work), I now use the dishwasher for most items. Part of the reason I joined the swap was because I wanted to figure out the appeal of dish cloths. And there are so many patterns, I wanted some first hand knowledge. Thanks, ladies! Patty

Shell stitches are pretty, and aren't too open to be useful.

Dishcloths done in the round go quickly and again, usually aren't too open and lacy.

Use a smaller hook if you crochet loosely (like I do); you don't want dishcloth stitches to be loose at all.

Using a variegated yarn and a complementary solid for an edging always looks nice.

Making a towel topper to match the dishcloth is a nice "extra", and doesn't take long.

Dishcloths are addicting - be careful.

I haven't ever made any and was also wondering the appeal, aside from being pretty :D. I was having problems seeing these as being very useful/functional. I guess if they're made right, they're just as good, if not better, as the store bought ones. Plus, you're not limited to just the color options offered at the stores. So, my question is, since I normally just look for texture and color when crocheting (I usually do afghans), what brands usually carry the cotton yarns? Thanks!

I get the feeling that everyone likes something different. :-) For my own use, I make smaller ones, in simple stitches, some ribbed, some flat. I don't like them too tight (which seems to be contrary to what most like), because I like the "scrubby" nature when the stitches are a bit looser. I use the dishwasher daily, so my dishcloths are used for cleaning items too big for the dishwasher, not able to be put in the dishwasher, or cleaning counters, stovetops, etc. Perhaps usage is a consideration?

I'm not quite sure what to think when people say they "don't need dishcloths because they use the dishwasher". What do you use for cleaning counters, sinks and items that can't go into the dishwasher then? I'm simply curious, no offense intended. :-)

I tend to make my dishcloths more on the small size because I like the cloth to fit in cups/glasses. Plus(imo) they seem to last longer than the store bought ones!!!:yes

Booklvr, thanks for your comments, and no offense taken at all. I have a large bag full of socks with holes in them and outgrown sweat pants under the counter for the heavier-duty type cleaning (like cleaning the wood furniture) and sponges that get washed in the dishwasher for some other uses, as well as some microfiber cloths my mother gave me that are washable for dusting. I just pulled the bag out over the weekend and was stunned at the number of rags in there--there must be 30 socks in there! Guess I haven't been cleaning as much as I should. :P They work fine on the stuff that doesn't go in the dishwasher. But dish cloths would certainly be a lot prettier than old cotton sweat socks to clean with. :lol Patty

I wanted to add that I like the smaller thinner ones too. I don't have a dishwasher, so I use them a lot! I think they probably last longer than the store bought ones (as long as your hubby doesn't use them to clean the sharp side of a knife oish......) but part of it is knowing that you made it, or someone made it for you. A friend of mine gave me a beautiful one when I moved away from her, and she said to think of her each time I use it to scrub a pot. :) Well, I sure do! :) I think some holes are nice and make them decorative, but I'm with whoever said that grannies wouldn't make a good dishcloth; too holey.

The good brands to buy cotton yarn (the only ones I know of actually...) are "Sugar and Cream" and "Peaches and Cream." I actually get them mixed up. I think those are the names of them... One I find at Wal-Mart, and the other is at Hobby Lobby/Michael's. Either is great, and the only difference is that they each have different colors. I usually pick the cheaper ones at Wal-Mart unless HL is having a good sale. :)

Hope that helps! I'm in the kitchen swap too, and I'm thrilled! :)

Victoria

you can also find peaches and cream on line: elmore-pisgah.com if your walmart carries the same pitiful selection mine does. :) I generally like it better than sugar and cream...it seems to hold it's color better too (so far) but they both work very well for discloths.

I'm not in the swap but hopefully someone can answer :)

I was wondering what happens when you use say red and white and pink for a dishcloth (using cotton yarn of course) and then wash it using bleach? Or if you're like my grandma and put a little bleach in the dishwater. Either way, don't the colors bleed? I have been reluctant to make her any with brighter colors because of this.

Angela :manyheart

Too funny, Patty! Thanks for sharing...that's very "green" of you, so to speak. I like the idea (great way to reuse old socks/sweats), but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do dishes/wipe down counters with old socks. Great visual though! ;-) I use crocheted dishcloths for all of that - scrubbing, dusting, cleaning, etc...

I think you'll really like trying out crocheted dishcloths. I'll be anxious to see what you think once you've tried them! But I fear for your old socks...they may get relegated to the garage for outside chores after this...

Jamie :-)

Jamie, if the idea of clean (but old) socks makes you balk, picture this--my mother still used (when I was in high school, at any rate) our old cloth diapers as rags. My old diapers! I'm hoping a lot of bleach was used to clean those before they touched anything! LOL But I have to say, they were the softest cloths I've ever felt. Green, thrifty, cheap, and poor--that's us! :P Patty

I guess I 'm the only one that likes my granny sq dishcloth. I think it works better and is a little sturdier than my dc rows one.

I think peaches and cream is soooooooooooooo much easier to crochet with than sugar and cream.

wow, the thread is cool. sooo many different thoughts. thought i would share mine:lol i tend to like the small dishrags myself. like 4 to 6 in squares. just your plain ol double crochett. hadn't thought about granny squares. need to try that. i don't have a dishwasher & use mine all the time. i like that they don't "sour" after a couple uses like store bought dishrags. my mother LOVES when i make her some. several of mine friends got "small" dc squares & i had to TELL them WHAT they were used for.:cheer

My favorites are ones I made trying to learn Tunisian crochet. I did a simple afghan stitch as double crochet throughout. I've made many other formal patterns, but the one described is the one everyone raves about how great it works in the kitchen.

Believe it or not, you can crochet with your old socks. You would cut them in a spiral about 1/2" to make the yarn and attach a new one as needed..and crochet cloths to clean your counters. When I was younger I remember taking the single cotton socks left after the dryer sock monster ate up the mate, and I crocheted them into a rug. I never used it and I don't even remember what I did with it. I guess I did it as a way to keep busy. But I think it is a green way of recycling them into some sort of a useful wash rag .

Archived