Favorite Tedious Crochet Technique?

....or stitch.

Do you have one?

I do. And it's only thanks to the Babette I'm currently working on.

It's whip stitching.

Never did it before.

Never wanted to sew my motifs together like that......

but now...

I absolutly LOVE doing it!!

I love the look of it. It looks so clean and pretty...because you don't really notice it...LOL...and it's fast as...as long as you join as you go.....LOVE IT!

:c9

Picots...I know they are tenious, but I finally found a way to do them that doesn't drive me nuts and I like the look...

Hmmm, stitch-wise I love the look of doing sc in the front loop/back loop only. Really slow going, but on purses especially, it creates quite a nice look.

I love the weaving method of joining - very strong join, but it looks lacy, but you have to go through each sc stitch twice, so it takes some time. But it's so flat and smooth when you are done, it's totally worth it. I learned it from watching that show on PBS with Shay Pendray...what is it called??? Ugh, can't remember.

the fpdc and then bpdc is the one that is tedious, but I love the ribbed look it gives. I also like it when doing the basketweave pattern. It just looks so nice when finished.

:manyheart

I've been crocheting a looooong time, but I still like to single crochet the best.

It makes a nice "hole free" fabric, sturdy edging, and it's great for a smooth increase or decrease edge.

It's wonderful for spiraling instead of connecting and chaining up.

I don't have to line my small bags and purses unless I want a lining for the look.

Yes, it's tedious, but I have patience.

Now that I've figured it out, I love the reverse single crochet. And I like cables, too!

Oh yeah.....reverse single crochet......I enjoy that too!!!

My genuinely favorite tedious stitch is HDC. For some reason, it's much faster for me to do than anything else, and it works great for making scarves out of novelty yarn like Lion Trellis or Bernat Matrix or Lion Incredible (can you tell I've been shopping the Dollar Tree yarn blowouts?) -- with a big enough hook, HDC shows enough untwisted yarn in each stitch that it looks kinda like a knit dropstitch scarf but goes about ten times faster. It is, however, tedious. You don't look at your work and think "Wow, that's a beautiful HDC. I sure enjoyed that pattern."

But more importantly...Eurolyons!!! What's your trick for picots???? I made a doily as a present for a friend this weekend and the main factor in choosing the pattern was whether I could avoid the stupid picots. I'd sure appreciate a good way to do this that lies flat and doesn't make me scream.

Thanks in advance if you're willing to share...

--Elissa

[. I learned it from watching that show on PBS with Shay Pendray...what is it called??? Ugh, can't remember.

I don't know about the stitch but the show is The Needle Arts Studio

Another vote for reverse single crochet! I love to do it even though it takes way too much work for me to get it nice and even.

True crochet confessions: I have heretofore completely avoided picots. I really should try the things...

I'd have to say fpdc/bpdc for sheer tedium. I just finished my basketweave afghan (a pretty late x-mas gift) and I just love it :clap I wish I were keeping it for me. So, that means I'll have to make one just for me! Tedious, yeppers, but so very pretty.

anna

Archived