Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be confused. You're doing fine. The class hasn't started yet. Some of us got a little eager and just started working from the graph. I only got 2 squares done and stopped because I wasn't happy with the way my squares were turning out. Now I'm patiently waiting for the class to start. CrochetLiving will let us know when the class begins.

I finished my first square last night. I am using a black yarn with black and white variegated yarn for the cat and it came out so nice! This is for my husband who never cared about cats until we adopted one from the shelter a year and a half ago. Now he loves cats and keeps bugging me to get going on this afghan. I am waiting for the class before I do any edging or joining.

wendyb532

Hi Maria,

I would love to join your class and learn to make the Cat Square. Thanks to all who have posted about their experiences. Very interesting reading. I'm looking forward to learning the new techniques. My mind is buzzing with ideas for colors.

Thanks for sharing the chart Maria. :ty

Just checking in to see what is happening here..

I was in the hospital for a week and I guess we are still waiting for things to start up here.

I will keep checking in..

Hugs...

Hi - I wanted to thank you for sending me the border and edging instructions. It has been a while because we have had a lot of flu and general "life" going on here. I have 71/2 squares done and am so excited to finish this up for a Christmas '08 gift. Plus it is helping me use up some of my stash yarn.

Thank you sooo much!

Marlene

I started another cat yesterday and I'm not happy with somethings. My first kitty was ok except I didnt do enough bobbins and it shows thru badly but the color changes look good. This kitty's sides are rather raged and the tail is just weird. I think it might be that I wasnt real careful what side I was putting the bobbins. I'm going to pull it all out and start it again.

I'll add pictures if needed but I have to get a new photobucket and I am just not in the mood.

I changed the pattern alittle, the head seemed too short to me and I redesigned the tail. I know you have to change it so it wasnt too close to that one in the book but I tried to get mine a little closer to it as I liked it better. (Still deciding if I want to just buy the book)

I've also got some curling problems. Not nearly as bad as the pp but the bottom is curling some. I'm using RHSS and an H hook. Will a larger hook help?

I dont know why but it seems like this pattern is going to take forever. The new kitty took 3 hours to finish! I want to make 3 afghans (1 for my mom, 1 for my great grandmother, and 1 for me) I'll never finish if they all take 3 hours!

I started another cat yesterday and I'm not happy with somethings. My first kitty was ok except I didnt do enough bobbins and it shows thru badly but the color changes look good. This kitty's sides are rather raged and the tail is just weird. I think it might be that I wasnt real careful what side I was putting the bobbins. I'm going to pull it all out and start it again.

I'll add pictures if needed but I have to get a new photobucket and I am just not in the mood.

I changed the pattern alittle, the head seemed too short to me and I redesigned the tail. I know you have to change it so it wasnt too close to that one in the book but I tried to get mine a little closer to it as I liked it better. (Still deciding if I want to just buy the book)

I've also got some curling problems. Not nearly as bad as the pp but the bottom is curling some. I'm using RHSS and an H hook. Will a larger hook help?

I dont know why but it seems like this pattern is going to take forever. The new kitty took 3 hours to finish! I want to make 3 afghans (1 for my mom, 1 for my great grandmother, and 1 for me) I'll never finish if they all take 3 hours!

Try an I hook to help with the curling.

Thank you! Will that make the actual squares bigger?

Probably a little, but not a lot. Switching from an H to an I would make a from a quarter to a half inch difference in a square for me. It really depends on your tension.

I started the last kitty over again and it looks a lot better now that I know to keep the bobbins on the same side. I'm going to pick up an I hook and restart it again (for the 4th time) as its still got a little bit of curl (more of a tweak really) and I tried my hardest to crochet loosely. I'd rather just up my hook size.

Hello

I actually managed to make one square, which I turned into a computer sock for my computer. I shared it under Miscellaneous items, but I wanted to post a link here.

The graph is really great, and I have loved looking at everyone's squares. They all look fantastic.

Here is the link:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1234374#post1234374

I am hoping to actually use the square for their intended purpose of making an afghan, but first I need to make it through finals at law school :P

Archived