Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

Here's my second square. Sorry it's taken me so long to post a photo. I took the picture from the back because I haven't sewn the ends yet. There still seems to be something wrong with the edges. I was careful about keeping the yarn on one side and I changed colors correctly. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

DSCF0596-adj.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got word that classes will be starting in March.

I will do a free Cat afghan with detailed color changing technique for those who have already been posting to this thread. My class size will be limited. I'll have more details in the near future.

GREAT!!! I am eagerly awaiting the class...I have not attempted this yet because i am intimidated by changing the colors. I only tried to crochet a graph pattern one other time and could not figure out what to do with the extra yarn other than crochet over it, which didn't work too well. Really am looking forward to this.

Katie :cat

I will do a free Cat afghan with detailed color changing technique for those who have already been posting to this thread. My class size will be limited. I'll have more details in the near future.

Wow that's great Maria! I haven't been doing much with it since my first square since I've been working on putting together a couple of afghans for the HAP project but I hope to get back on it this weekend.:hook

Wow that's great Maria! I haven't been doing much with it since my first square since I've been working on putting together a couple of afghans for the HAP project but I hope to get back on it this weekend.:hook

It won't be long! It's better to have it as a class rather than a CAL because I can post photos and instructions all in one place so that everyone can reference them and download them.

Awesome, can't wait for this to get started. :cheer

Hi Maria and Cat People!

I have been following the thread, and I hope to sign-up for the class. Just reading through, I am confused about what side to keep the bobbins on, so I need a class. LOL. I am going to try and buy some bobbins soon. My parents are both ill, but I am hoping to be able to do the class. Hugs to all. Keep up the good work!

GREAT!!! I am eagerly awaiting the class...I have not attempted this yet because i am intimidated by changing the colors. I only tried to crochet a graph pattern one other time and could not figure out what to do with the extra yarn other than crochet over it, which didn't work too well. Really am looking forward to this.

Katie :cat

I too am looking forward to this class, I have never tried a reversible square.... I am so excited.

I tried to crochet over it too, it does not work out well :hook

I do not have bobbins so I balled up a few to get ready

C

Hi Maria and "Cat People"!

I'm looking forward to your class. I tried one cat square with not so good results and then realized how close my sister's b-day was. I put my kitty away to work on her gift but as soon as it's done I'll be back.

Happy crocheting,

I've had so much fun learning to do this square. I've become pretty proficient at handling multiple threads all on the same row and switching between them, being able to keep the separate balls of yarn on the 'correct' side, and this project made have to learn how to wind my own little center-pull balls which I have never done before -- so much easier and more versatile than the little bobbins. I've gotten 4 squares done so far -- 3 just this past weekend. I only have the graph part done so far on them, have not tried to do the edging yet.:hook

I've had so much fun learning to do this square. I've become pretty proficient at handling multiple threads all on the same row and switching between them, being able to keep the separate balls of yarn on the 'correct' side, and this project made have to learn how to wind my own little center-pull balls which I have never done before -- so much easier and more versatile than the little bobbins. I've gotten 4 squares done so far -- 3 just this past weekend. I only have the graph part done so far on them, have not tried to do the edging yet.:hook

Ken, I'm really happy that you've made so much progress! Keep me up to date,OK?

Ken ~ I have to use the bobbins. My cat likes the center pull balls, but leaves the bobbins alone.. thshrug.gif

LOL! I keep all the little balls together in a Ziplock bag while I am working to keep them from rolling all over the place, maybe you could try that to keep the kitty out of them.:cat

OK GUYS--BESIDES GETTING CONFUSED READY PATTERN WHAT ELSE DID I DO WRONG???

100_0524.jpg

Stick with it and you will get the hang of it. The first one I did I messed up the head part too! But once you work the chart a couple of times it becomes much easier, also it is very important to count each row -- as much as I hate having to do it :P -- but it really keeps you on track and out of trouble.

Ken ~ The zip lock bag may work... Kittie loves to chew on the yarn.. It's like pay attention to me or else!!

jetty56 ~ If you have the pattern printed out take a post note and cover the pattern row by row as you finish doing it..Helps keep count of the rows..

But it still looks like a Kitty...

Here are a few tricks I learned:

On the chart - At the edge of each row put either an R (from the right) or an L (from the left) depending on which way you're supposed to read that row.

I put the chart on a metal board and use magnetic strips to hold the chart down PLUS it serves a dual purpose of indicating which row I'm on. I don't move the magnetic strip up unless I'm going to work on the next row. That way if you have to put your work down, the next day you don't have wonder if you did that row or not.

In one of the earlier posts there is a link to an offsite page that had some really helpful hints. The one I really like uses a cardboard box to hold the balls of yarn. The balls are placed in the box in the order you will use them. When you're ready to turn your work, turn the box at the same time as your work. It really helped to keep the yarn from tangling together.

Here are a few tricks I learned:

On the chart - At the edge of each row put either an R (from the right) or an L (from the left) depending on which way you're supposed to read that row.

I put the chart on a metal board and use magnetic strips to hold the chart down PLUS it serves a dual purpose of indicating which row I'm on. I don't move the magnetic strip up unless I'm going to work on the next row. That way if you have to put your work down, the next day you don't have wonder if you did that row or not.

In one of the earlier posts there is a link to an offsite page that had some really helpful hints. The one I really like uses a cardboard box to hold the balls of yarn. The balls are placed in the box in the order you will use them. When you're ready to turn your work, turn the box at the same time as your work. It really helped to keep the yarn from tangling together.

Thanks, Laurie!

Oh, so happy to hear this class will be starting soon. I've been itching to try a graph, but I'm not clear on the technical issues (ie, bobbins). I can do color changes no problem, though. I won't do a whole afghan (well, maybe, but not for me), but the square could be used for so many things!

I definitely want in on this!

I'm really interested in learning how to do graph crochet but I'm not sure how much time is involved in joining the class. Right now I'm laid off from work (for this week anyway) but I'm not sure after that. Could someone tell me how much time I would need to join the class?

I'm really interested in learning how to do graph crochet but I'm not sure how much time is involved in joining the class. Right now I'm laid off from work (for this week anyway) but I'm not sure after that. Could someone tell me how much time I would need to join the class?

The class is a week long and one time only, as I'm conducting it for no charge as my gift to those who would like to learn. The class size is limited.

Archived