Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

Prepare your yarn bobbins first. You'll need 2 of background for each side and one for the space between the tail and body of the cat. Wind 2 bobbins for the cat.

I used an H Susan Bates hook. Ch 27, sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in each ch across. 26 sc in the row.

The even side of the square is the wrong side and all your bobbins should be on that side. Use rubber bands to keep each bobbin from unraveling.

If you do tunisian, the square will probably be a little larger because you're working each row twice.

Any questions will be cheerfully answered!

I might use a solid for the cat body and a variegated for the tail. And vice versa for the companion square. Just a thought.

Thank you thank you for this instructions. I should be able to get started with that. My wife was picking out yarn for her cats the other night...I think she settled on RHSS Shadded Grey, and Shaded Brown for the kitties and probably Soft White for the background...I am going to use clothes pins for the yarn bobbins I think.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you thank you for this instructions. I should be able to get started with that. My wife was picking out yarn for her cats the other night...I think she settled on RHSS Shadded Grey, and Shaded Brown for the kitties and probably Soft White for the background...I am going to use clothes pins for the yarn bobbins I think.

The spring clothespins are good! The colors she chose are very realistic. I forgot about the collar. You only need a small amount. Are you using all different colors for them?

:clap it's starting!

Bobbin question - do I get the kind like they use in knitting or should I just wind some yarn into separate balls?

:clap it's starting!

Bobbin question - do I get the kind like they use in knitting or should I just wind some yarn into separate balls?

I wind into separate balls. You will need a jumbo egg sized one for the cat and a smaller one for his tail. The between bobbin of background is about an egg size. For your first one, make them a little larger than you think you'll need , then you will have a idea of what size to wind.

One more question -- If I have yarn that's been wound into a cake, can I just work from both ends?

Thank you soooo much maria..

I bought some variegated yarns and ready to start ...

I pm'd you for the edging and joining directions...

I will keep you all posted

I don;t have a printer hooked up yet so i'm going to color this in graph paper so i can have it handy before i start.

thaks again soooo mcuh

hugs

Lillibet

Ken, one more thought on your colors. Since there is white or white-ish in the cat color you may lose some of the definition on the edges if your background is similar in shade.

Yes that's true...I will have to think about that...I'll see if I can talk her into a different background or maybe some not so realistic cat colors...

I am so pleased. I just finished up my first one and it looks just like the picture. Guess that means I did it correctly. :yay Thanks for the advice in Post 75, it was just what I needed. I think I hadn't grasped the concept of a right and wrong side. Once I realized that it worked great. I'll try to post a pic of the cat when I get a chance.

I probably won't make a whole afghan of them. I have an old cross stitch chart of a tiger that is very graphic. The whole background is black, just the head is done. It's all very much blocks of color like a poster. I've wanted to crochet him for quite a while and just couldn't get the hang of it. Now that I have a handle on the technique, I think I will tackle him instead of doing more cat squares.

Thanks for the tips, it's been just what I need to get started. :hug:hook

How many balls do I need for the background? I tried using 2 and that doesn't seem to work because of the space between the tail and the body.

Thank you so much for the graph. I am excited to try a square as this will be my first time graphing. I wish I could join the CAL, but unfortunately my class schedule is rather hectic this semester, so I will have to work on this on and off.

I look forward to giving the graph a try, and it is just too cute! My two cats whole-heartedly approve.

Thank you so much for the graph. I am excited to try a square as this will be my first time graphing. I wish I could join the CAL, but unfortunately my class schedule is rather hectic this semester, so I will have to work on this on and off.

I look forward to giving the graph a try, and it is just too cute! My two cats whole-heartedly approve.

No problem! I just sent you the border edging.

Hubbie took me out shopping last night before dinner. I have my yarn!!!

Got "I Love This Yarn" (Never used this before) in Cranapple Ombre, Cranapple (strip), Cranberry, Aubergine and Linen for the background. Wrapped up some bobbins , so I'm ready to get started..

Took the kids (furbabies) to the Vet this morning. Need to do some yard work, then I can sit down and start a square.. Will post pic when I get one done..:clap:lol

Archived