Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

I posted a photo of my cat afghan in Home Decor Show and Tell that I got from Women's Household Crochet Winter 1991. It's also available in a handback book called Afghans To Treasure. It's popular!

I know not everyone has the book or magazine pattern and I wanted to do a Cat Afghan CAL, so I designed my own cat square so that if you want to participate you can use either square. If you haven't done a graph, I am using a simple sc to work this. Hope you will give it a try as I will help you get the hang of it.

I am writing the pattern now. More updates soon!

Crochetville002-1.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's so cute! My grandson would love it. He likes cats. I'd like to try this. I've not made a graphghan before so I hope it doesn't stop me from be able to join.

If you've never made a graph'ghan then this will be a good opportunity to try it. You will only be doing one square at a time and if you want to really simplify it, the tail can be omitted for practice, just to get your feet wet.

I would like everyone to be able to do color changes, as this will improve your crocheting skills, and eye/hand coordination. Even if you only make one square you can still use it as a pillow top. The gratification level is high!

. The Pineapple Shawl pattern I'm teaching now had many students that never did pineapples and now they've passed with flying colors.

Luckily I know how to change colors. It's what do I do with the yarn I'm not working with that I haven't figured out yet.

Hi there: I think i got that pattern in the crochet world magazine so i will go and see and if i do find it I will join on this one..I love variegated yarns and i got lots that i can do the cats in variegated so i will post again later in case i find it..

hugs

by the ways your square is lovely too.

hugs

Lillibet

Just wanted to ask what size the finished square is?

cute. but, like all graphs, intimiadating........... I want to try it, but fear bad results.

The only thing to fear is fear itself!

Before the border rounds, the square is 7 1/2x 8

I thought we could do 24, for a rectangle of 4 squares across x 6 squares high.

Hi there: I think i got that pattern in the crochet world magazine so i will go and see and if i do find it I will join on this one..I love variegated yarns and i got lots that i can do the cats in variegated so i will post again later in case i find it..

hugs

by the ways your square is lovely too.

hugs

Lillibet

It's in Women's Household Crochet Winter 1991.

I want to try this one..I saw an afghan on crochetville with this pattern and instantly fell in love with it ...I have several odd skeins and partial skeins of varigated yarns..and co-odernating solids..so I'm ready to rock and roll!!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Will you be teaching your shawl class again? I was taking the advanced filet class and knew I couldn't take 2 classes at the same time.

This is a section of the Cat Afghan. I am making it in sections so that you can see your progress very quickly. Make 4 squares and join them granny style. The total squares will be 24 but they will be joined 4 at a time and then assembled in sections so that you'll have an afghan that is 2 sections by 3 sections. Each section is 20x22.

So before the edging is done, the afghan will be 40x66. Add a couple of inches on each side and top and bottom for the border and you will wind up with a piece that is 44x70. In addition to the chart I have also made a row count so that you can refer to the chart line by line so mistakes can be kept to a minimum.

Here is a section:Catafghan3.jpg

Archived