Are you bi-crafty?

I have been crocheting for 41 years. I had tried my hand at knitting several years ago but could notget the hang of it. I have started to pick it back up again and every know and then picked the needles to try it. I', still not sure if I will stick with it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm interested to find out how many crochet and knit. I can crochet and am currently learning to knit.

How many can do both? How long have you been doing each? Which did you learn first? Which do you find easier?

I'm finding that I learned crochet much easier. It seemed more natural for me.

I actually learned crocheting way before attempting how to knit. I self taught the knit basics and use online tutorial sites that are a great way for learning. One thing is for sure, crocheting is way easier than juggling two needles. I prefer using circular needles myself. I actually recently noticed that I don't knit the so called "proper way". I hold the yarn in the same hand as when crocheting. I noticed most knitters wrap the yarn around their right hand fingers. But I still get it done. Guess you can always improvise as long as the finished product is the same.

I crochet like a fiend and have been teaching myself to knit. I can do knit, purl, various cast ons, binding off and yarn overs. I've yet to learn increasing and decreasing to the point where I'm comfortable with them. When I think about trying to knit in the round it gives me a headache, too. :lol It's on my list this year to get a bit better at it. I know I saw a diagonal dishcloth pattern somewhere that would get me comfortable with inc and dec by the time I was done with it.

On the crochet front, I'm going to be completing my first full size afghans this year (only done a couple of baby sized ones before). I also will be delving into working with thread.

I also do beading and wire jewelry, so I plan on making my own stitch markers this year, too.

I did counted cross stitch when I was a kid and teenager. I haven't touched it in years. I've got a project in a bag in my closet (yeah, it's an oldie) that I've been wanting to do for ages. I might find time to get to it this year (not likely).

I can crochet, knit and do counted crosstitch. I've been crocheting since I was a little girl but only learned to knit a few years ago. I don't get to practice much because I can only go until I mess up then have to wait until the next time I see my mother so she can fix my mistakes.

I just can't seem to master the unraveling, unknitting, unpurling and getting stitches twisted the right way. Crochet is wonderful in that you can easily frog back to your mistake without having to "unknit" every stitch so carefully or risk having the whole thing unravel.

I have a couple of crosstich WIPs but they don't get much attention because they require me to have a block of time available to work on them. I have to pull everything out, get the cloth in the hoop, figure out which symbol (color) I was working on and where I am in the pattern. Then I still need time to work.

Crochet I can pick up and put down without much thought as to where I left off so it's my favorite portable or tv watching project. Knitting and crosstitch require me to concentrate but crochet is relaxing.

I learned how to knit when I was about 9 and I taught myself how to crochet about two years ago. I also cross stitch, do embroidery, tole painting, floral arranging and making wreaths. During the Christmas season my MIL and SIL and I made puzzle pins. I love crafts of all kinds.

I learned both crochet and knitting from my grandmother when I was young. I find crochet much quicker and easier. I'm just now attempting to 'relearn' knitting because I'm seeing so many great patterns out there I want to try!

Kim

I'm happy to say that I'm now a knitter! lol Learned this week. Okay, so I'm not very good at it, and it is rather slow. But I like it. Hubby bought me a "how to" book and a set of needles. :) I'm currently working on a headband. Yeah, small and simple, but a lot of work for the beginner.

Crocheting is sooooo much faster. However, I do plan to continue on with both. And I got a sewing machine yesterday...now all I have to do is learn how to use the thing. I may pick the plastic canvas back up again soon as well.

Heather

I think if it has yarn I do it...:blush I learned to crochet first, than hand knit, than machine knit and finally loom knit.

I enjoy it all, but favor crocheting because I learned it first and is so easy and portable.

My site has my full story. My niece taught me how to crochet when I was very young.

I'm a trycrafter, willing to try any way to join yarn, thread, and/or beads into beautiful things.

Sadly that doesn't mean actually knowing that many different ways, or even liking all that I've tried.

I can knit a basic washcloth, scarf, or little cozy. But I am not a "proficient" knitter. I haven't taken the time to learn more but I would like to, if I can ever pull myself away from my crochet projects long enough lol!

Crochet is natural for me & I have done it for many years. Knit is very slow for me & I have to be careful not to make mistakes because I still don't understand how to correct dropped stitches, although I have tried to learn that. I would just give it up, because it frustrates me... but I think it would be nice to be able to combine knitting with crochet in the same project or see a simple knit item & know if I want, I could knit it up.

I think I am just a crocheter at heart.:manyheart

If I ever get my heart into knitting, I'm sure I'll get better with it.

I can sew somewhat, beading occasionally and polymer clay. I spend most of my time doing what I enjoy the most & that's the craft I do the best, Crochet. But it's nice to be able to do other crafts especially to incorporate one into the other. It's nice to make your bag a lining, or to make stitch markers & one day I'd like to be able to join knit & crochet into the same project.

My mom taught me to crochet so I have been at that for a while, but I only learned basic knitting a few years ago. Crochet just comes much quicker and easier for me. I think both are beautiful, but I favor crochet! If I mess up with crochet, I just pull it out. If I drop a stitch knitting, I am in big trouble!:eek

Oh, honey, how about tri-crafty; no quadruple-crafty (knit, crochet, soapmaker, lotions, creams shall I go on??) :lol

Yearrsss ago, when I was a itty bitty lil girl my step-grandmom taught me to crochet. I recall looking for patterns to expand my repertoire and would see beau coup knitting patterns. Oh and in the 60's the knitting patterns were way prettier than any crochet ones I could find. I basically got angry over all the knitting patterns and acquiesced and taught myself to knit. I believe the book was, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I did a big ole pillow (I think), let loose a big old, "Humph", put the needles down and didn't pick them up again until the end of last year.

There are still beautiful patterns out there for knitting. Thank goodness I can say the same for crochet :cheer. As tempted as I am by some of the patterns impatience will keep me in the crochet corner I do believe. I want to wear my creations with the quickness. :yes There are only so many hours in the day; and so many projects I want to concquer and gifts I want to give. Knitting just goes too slow for me.

I do both knit and crochet and have written books in both. Free Form knitting and crochet in combination is my most favorite thing to do, and is the most popular class that I teach. I learned to knit as a young child and do not remember learning at all. I learned to crochet at about age 19 and I can crochet much faster than I knit. I am not into the speed thing though, as I love the process, and do not much care if something takes me awhile to complete.

Margaret

HI is a great idea!!!

I do both since 2003 but i like more crochet.

I learn first to knit but wasnt very comfortable in the bus (i have to travel 1 and 1/2 hour to my job) so i start to look in internet to learn crochet because nobody in my family knows how to crochet. Thats how i learn crochet.

I also know how to knit with a triangular loom and a "telar de peine" (i dont know how do you call that one, you can search in google to see what im talking about)

I love allll craft i also paint, make candles, soap, decoupage, crosspoint etc etc

Sorry about my english...

i Would like to have you in my msn to know you and practice my english.

Naty

I crochet, quilting, looming and have been teaching my self knitting. I have a Faroese shawl started for my first knitting project, I think it will be done in 10 to 20 years.

Over the years I have done many crafts stained glass, sewing and woodworking. Two years ago I made myself a lot of looms. I am still do some of these crafts but just not as much.

:yay I have been crocheting since 6th grade. An aunt taught me so that I could make Barbie Doll clothes! I am left-handed, she was right-handed, so I learned to crochet right-handed! I have been crocheting for over 40 years! I taught myself how to knit in the 70s, so learned to knit left-handed. I prefer crochet because it is quicker (for me), but do both equal amounts of time. Crochet for afghans, knit for sweaters, toboggans, etc. I also do plastic canvas. I just finished a knitted sweater for my husband.

debclark

I have been Crocheting since '95, but back in April when a "reenactor" explained that knitting was an older craft than crochet, I decided to teach myself knitting. I have purchased a book on Scandinavian Traditional Patterns and have made a few hats and mittens. I prefer Crochet just because I am more familiar with it.

I learned how to knit, crochet as a very young child. My mother was an excellent (European) seamstress. I wish I had her talent I remember, as a 7 yr. old, I crocheted a doll's hat using a wooden (now I'm dating myself,) lollipop stick, which of course, had no hook on the end. But I managed. I used to use the flat bones from my mother's old girdles for knitting. I know how to knit well enough, but don't do it as I just don't enjoy it as much as crocheting. I also do a lot of plastic canvas.

I consider myself a crocheter, but I'm really both. I learned to knit from my paternal grandmother in the 5th grade. I really struggled through that first scarf and when it was finally finished, it was too short. My mother told me crochet would be easier and I picked it right up. I made the occasional blanky and a few funny scarves.

About a year ago, I picked the hook back up and got really into it. Three months ago I re-taught myself to knit. Now I just need my hands to catch up with my brain :).

I know how to knit and crochet, but i prefer :hook:lol:D.

I knitted 2 sweaters for my daughter, but I could never get opening around the neck right...It's more fun to crochet if you ask me :) and much, much faster :clap

Archived