Are you bi-crafty?

I'm interested to find out how many crochet and knit. I can crochet and am currently learning to knit.

How many can do both? How long have you been doing each? Which did you learn first? Which do you find easier?

I'm finding that I learned crochet much easier. It seemed more natural for me.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crocheter here.

I did teach myself the very, very basics of knitting, and am still struggling with whether or not I really want to proceed.....I love the look of knitted things, too, but I have a hard time with not being good at it. And then I don't do it, so that leads to me never getting better....I find myself thinking of the time I spend TRYING to learn knitting, that I could be spending crocheting SUCCESSFULLY....

I just need to get over the mental block, practice, and really learn knitting. I really want to be able to say "I can do both". And produce something knitted!

I also do a lot of sewing, mostly for our church group. We donate lap quilts, bibs, etc. to nursing homes and shut-ins. I have also done cross stitch, embroidery, and needlepoint, but my eyesight isn't liking those crafts so much anymore....

I do both ~ although I crochet more than knit.

Started crocheting about............well lets just say a long time ago.

My Mom taught me to knit, also a long time ago. :crocheting:knit

I tried my hand at knitting. But I just couldn't get it. Crocheting seems so much easier to learn for me. I think it might also have something to do with the fact that my mother taught me just a few basics when I was little. I haven't ever had anyone show me anything about knitting. I am more of a visual learner too. So I think that may make the difference here. I may have a friend of mine show me some basics of knitting to get me started with. Who knows...

I have been crocheting for nearly 46 years and knitting for nearly 40. I love both, because both have different appeal for me. But for the last couple of years, I would say that I have been doing a whole lot more knitting than crocheting.

I have been crocheting since the 7th grade (I am in my mid 40's now). I signed up for a knitting class that will be 1/26/08. I want to learn how to knit and I'm trying to stay open-minded but I think I will probably still love crochet more; if I ever learn to knit that is.

I crochet. I tried to knit, but kept dropping stitches (sat on a needle too). I gave up when the needle slipped and I made a deep scratch up my arm. It's way to dangerous for me. I've done embroidery and cross stitch before and might do it again (NOT!).

Ellie 13

I learned to knit as a child. Right handed but knit left handed.

I learned to crochet as a young adult. Just the simple patterns.

Last month, I picked up a crochet hook after almost 30 years of

not doing the craft. About a week ago, I picked up the knitting

needles again. I fiqured it out :)

Just need to practice some more and learn a few more patterns.

I also have a big knitting machine I want to get set up and do something

serious with. I did practice a few years ago, on a smaller machine

that I also have here.

I sew well also, and have even made some clothes in the past. But

not much desire to do that right now. Just a little mending is plenty.

I know a little of each, of several handcrafts to be dangerous :)

I also can embroider but never tried cross stitch. I played with some

plastic canvas just long enough to fiqure out, it was not something I

was ever going to make a career out of.

I taught myself to knit a year before I learned to crochet. I have knitted lots of things in my time. But my heart belongs to crochet. I haven't knitted anything in about 15 years now. Just don't have the desire to dig out my needles. But try and take away my hooks and you would be in big trouble.

I am also a decent seamstress. Actually did upholstery work for a couple years. But my sinus's just couldn't handle the dust and dirt in the old furniture. My kids always had lovely dresses and nighties I made for them. Not to mention all DH's shirts I made for years. So can definitely cross Craft. I also can tat and do embroidery work.

I both knit and crochet. I've been on a mini-quest the past couple of months to improve my knitting, however, so since November that's all I've done. But I'm desperate to break out my hooks! As soon as I finish the baby blanket I'm working on (2 more skeins to go), out comes the hook and I'm doing mindless crochet to relax (the Warm Up America squares for our team donation). I'm also going to start a large blanket for Project Linus that should take me through the spring. Yippee! I miss my hooks! Patty:hook

I am a multi-crafter...I crochet, I can knit dishcloths and scarfs, never tried anything larger than a small baby blanket. I also stitch plastic canvas, I don't sew or embroider, an don't think I ever could, I just don't get the same joy out of sewing that I do from any of my other craft hobbies. Right now crochet is my main habit. I do occasionally throw in a dishcloth, but mostly crochet.

Ohhhhhh, I'm Bi-Crafty? LOLOL I have crocheted for 31 years now. Knitted the summer I was 6, never picked it up again until about 3 years ago. Consider myself proficient in both. I enjoy the differences in each. When I want a quick fix tho, I crochet. Even, lets say a scarf, I can whip out in no time; whereas knitting it will take much longer. At first, knitting was awkward; definitely harder for me to learn than crocheting...but with practice, now I really do enjoy it.

Currently I'm only a crocheter. I've been tempted a time or two to learn to knit, there are some things it just does better. But, with my schedule and my usual lack of coordination, I just haven't given it a go. Maybe some day... maybe not.

Actually, I do sew fairly well in a technical sense, my mom is the real talent there as a tailor and seamstress. I'm not very good at altering patterns, she can withouth blinking. She can do the most amazing math to get measurements to come out right but ask her 4/2 some days and she comes up blank! :lol she knows more than she thinks!

I crochet and picked it up very quickly. I taught myself to crochet and I am trying to learn to Knit. I went to a friends house this morning for help after making several very poor attempts at Knitting myself. Now that she has shown me a few different ways I think I finally found one that works for me and am well on my way to a dishcloth. I stilll prefer Crochet but really want to be albe to do both.

I've crocheted since I was a little girl, but after numerous tries to learn knitting FINALLY succeeded in learning with Debbie Stoller's first book. I have a couple of other books that both insist on English style knitting being the first thing to learn, then when you were good at it you could try continental. With Stoller's book, I just started with continental and it all fell into place like magic!

I generally have one project in each going at the same time. They're both so different and I love each!

But if I have a project that needs to be finished ASAP (like, in a day or two) I will always turn to crochet :). It works up SO much faster for me!

I just can't seem to master the knack of knitting. My mum has tried to teach me a couple of times (she also taught me to crochet), but I kept losing stitches and got frustrated with how slow it was.

I much prefer crocheting! :crocheting I feel like I can experiment more with crochet and I love how you can start a project and be done in a day or two.

Maybe one day I'll attempt knitting again, but in the meantime I have so much more to explore in the crocheting world. I haven't even delved into felting, dyeing or tunisian crochet yet and the list goes on!

I knit and crochet. I've been able to knit since my mom taught me as a child, but never really found it very fun. I think its slow and tedious in comparison to crocheting, which i learned about 3 yrs ago. I also am a fast-paced person, which means i make mistakes. I don't mind in crochet so much because its so much easier to go back and correct a mistake in crochet! However, knitting is beautiful... there's much appeal to the look of knitted itesm, that's why I don't give it up all together!

I learned to knit in 5th grade. (That was back when the earth was new :-)

Asked a great Aunt to teach me to crochet when I was about 12. She used thread, a tiny hook, and worked really fast. So I couldn't get it then. Taught myself later on. I also spin.

I've made a few hooked rugs on a burlap backing, embroidery, have done some counted cross stitch, but crochet and knit are my favorites. Never learned to tat, but I have a shuttle.

Multi-crafter,

Alice

I learned to knit and crochet as a child, but really don't remember who taught me or when. I know my grandmother did a lot of crocheting. I may have learned how to knit as a girl scout.. not sure. I do know that I knit continental style so it probably was my grandmother who taught me that as well.

I really just don't like to knit. Partly because I'm an instant gratification type of person, and knitting takes too long. I find crocheting very relaxing. I like patterns that are relatively repetitive, rather than something that I have to look at a pattern or chart for each row.

Joan

I guess I never realy thought about it just that way, but I guess I am a multi-crafter. I learned to crochet at age 5, taught myself to knit somewhere along the line, (it takes too long to finish something, so I prefer to crochet) took sewing in school, and kept up with it and expanded it into quilting some 15 years ago, and also do some needle tatting, (but rarely). Once I got the bigger needle, and tatted with yarn, it was much easier. Some day I'd like to do a cardigan-jacket tatted with yarn. All in all, crochet is my favorite. Lolly

Archived