Are you bi-crafty?

Add me to the list.

I've been crocheting, seriously for 5 years now. But learned when I was really young. I'm in the process of teaching myself to knit. I can do the basics, I just need to get the desire to do it. For some reason I was silly and sold all my needles. So I had to re-buy them and they should come in the mail today. I'm also teaching myself to do some sewing. But I'm impatient and want things done fast, so we'll see. I did get some cotton batting for christmas, so I think I'll make a quilt with it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet and knit. I enjoy doing both, although I lean more towards liking crochet better, probably because I'm much better at it than knitting. Also, I have tendonitis, so I like to alternate between the two so that I don't have too much arm strain (both seem to use different muscles).

I do both. I find knitting Continental style is easiest for me, since I'm holding the working yarn in my left hand, just as I do for crochet.

I think it is useful to do both. I think some things look better crocheted, and some things look better knitted, and I like being able to get whatever effect I want.

I'm equally good at both....but I often crochet things just because it is so much faster. In my opinion, only someone with a LOT of time on their hands, or someone who didn't know how to crochet, would knit an afghan rather than crochet it!

I used to be bi-crafty, but I can't do any hand-sewing any more due to wrist problems. Thank goodness I can still crochet! Learned to knit long ago, but have never touched it since I learned to crochet in high school...in fact I have a knitting needle tied to reinforce the top branch of the Christmas tree to support the topper ornament :lol

I crochet and knit. I've been knitting a few more years than crocheting, but crocheting came way faster. I had problems with some of it at first, but once I got it, it was way faster. I agree that certain projects are better suited to knitting, and others to crochet. For example, a Fair Isle sweater is definitely a knit project, but a blanket is definitely for crocheting. I can't even stand to think about trying to knit a blanket.

When I just want to do one or the other to relax, I always go to crocheting because it seems less stressful.

I learned to knit before I learned to crochet. Crochet is my favorite!! Once crochet entered the picture, knitting went by the wayside. I did try to make Mom a pair of socks last year, but couldn't get past turning the heel. If I could learn to do that, I would like to knit socks once in awhile.

Also tole painting/decorative painting for about 2 years.

Beth

I learned to knit before I learned to crochet. Crochet is my favorite!! Once crochet entered the picture, knitting went by the wayside. I did try to make Mom a pair of socks last year, but couldn't get past turning the heel. If I could learn to do that, I would like to knit socks once in awhile.

Also tole painting/decorative painting for about 2 years.

Beth

I can sympathize with heel issues. My first pair of socks caused many tears. http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html has a fantastic tutorial for knit socks. Socks are one of those things that I like knit. I've only made slipper socks, though. I'm about to try sock weight yarn - we'll see how that goes. I do like how crocheting is easier to double for slipper socks, though.

I do both, but prefer and consider myself more proficient at crochet. I tend to drop stitches and mess up in knitting. I've knitted dishcloths, scarves, and caps in the round. I prefer to knit guys' caps for the stretchiness. At the moment I'm knitting a basic sweater, but we'll see how that turns out. I have a lousy track record with wearables in general (other than caps/scarves).

I do both and love to knit and crochet. Some things should just be knit and others crocheted. Also some fibers should be used for knit and others crochet. I found that some things are better in one or the other. But I really love to work with fiber of any kind.

I'm multi-crafty (cross-stitch, embroidery, sew, bead, bake, crochet) but I can't knit for the life of me. My dad taught me to crochet in about a month, my mom tried over and over to teach me to knit and I still can't even cast on correctly.

I actually learned on the internet. My mother is a wonderful crocheter (sp?) and I still have the afghan she gave me over 20 years ago. There were plenty of sites that had videos, so I sat at my computer with my hook and ball of yarn and the rest is history.

I did the same thing with knitting, quilting and beading. I LOVE THE INTERNET!

Well, I learned to crochet about a year ago and just recently took a knitting class. I was very slow at knitting and needed some time to devote to practice...but then decided that I should just use my time and energy to perfect my crochet skills. Some day I will knit, just not know :)

I do both knit and crochet but mainly I crochet. I have knit Christmas stockings, dishcloths, a keyhole scarf, a baby afghan and several round afghans. My knitting is very slow. I am a self taught knitter and I don't really know how to hold my thread to speed up. :rolleyes I like to knit, but if push came to shove, crochet would be my choice.:wink

I actually learned on the internet. My mother is a wonderful crocheter (sp?) and I still have the afghan she gave me over 20 years ago. There were plenty of sites that had videos, so I sat at my computer with my hook and ball of yarn and the rest is history.

I did the same thing with knitting, quilting and beading. I LOVE THE INTERNET!

I learned to shuttle-tat from the Internet.

I learned to knit as a child from my mother, but knitted only sporadically throughout my teenage years and adulthood. I taught myself to crochet a couple of years ago, and got totally hooked (pan intended), which brought me back to knitting and all kinds of other crafts (sewing, cross-stitch, quilting, tatting, etc.).

For me, knitting is as easy as crocheting, but that's just because I have knitted a fair amount. If you want to "get" knitting, find a knit pattern you love and just have to make. There are lots of great free patterns out there (check out knitty.com or Berroco.com, for example). That'll motivate you to keep at it, and it'll become as natural to you as crocheting. But if knitting just doesn't appeal to you, there are so many wonderful crochet patterns, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what feels right!

Well, I have decided that this is the year I finally learn to knit. I have crocheted forever and am very happy with it except for the fact that my gram, mom and sister all knit well..and I feel like odd man out! lol:blush

I AM the only lefty in the group as well.

I tried a bit this past weekend and find that I knit better right handed...odd...:eek

Has anyone ever tried those programs that convert knit to crochet?:think

I have seen so many beautiful felted patterns that are knit and I would love to do them in crochet.

I also have a book on tunisian crochet...but have yet to really give it a whole hearted try.

So many yards of yarn and so little time!

ellen

I crochet, and sew, do some embroidery, cross stitch and needlepoint. Have tried to knit many times... just too clumsy. I know the basics, but just don't "take" to it as easily as some do.

I found a lovely pattern for a sweater... so I am buying the yarn needed and will let my s.i.l. knit if for me. In turn, I will crochet her an afghan, if she is agreeable. She taught herself to knit recently, knows how to crochet, but says it hurts her hands, and I'm just the opposite. First thing she made was a sweater... turned out beautiful!

I guess I could be called "multi-crafty." My favorite craft is crochet but I do some counted cross stitch and have made quite a few quilts. I love to hand-quilt, it is so relaxing, but does take a lot of time to accomplish anything. I've never gotten the hang of machine-quilting. I am determined this year to learn how to knit, just so I can make myself some dishcloths!!!. I took a 2 hr learn to knit class last fall, and was so embarrassed. At the end of the class, I had managed to cast on and knit 1 row, and it looked so wonky! It was so much harder than I had thought it would be, but I have bought some books and with the help of the internet and my 'Ville pals, I am determined!!!

Katie :hook

I swear, sometimes I have such a one-track mind, it's awful. When I first responded to this thread, it never dawned on me that there ARE other crafts in life besides crocheting and knitting! :lol I've been reading about all that everyone here does, and it reminded me that, while crochet is, far and away, my very favorite craft, I also enjoy counted cross stitch but it has been about three years since I have even thought about doing it. I've got every color of floss that DMC makes, but I've just been so into crochet lately that instead of thinking about counted cross stitch when I see the floss, instead my mind wanders toward "hmm, I wonder what I can crochet with that?". Like I said - one-track mind. :lol

Elle

One of my friends was trying to teach me to knit and I found it hard to do.

to me crochet is much more easier. I was aslo trying to teach said friend to crochet and she had a hard time with it, she couldn't get her finger right. I think that it all depends on how bad you want to learn either one.

I've been crocheting for 20ish years now, and just started learning to knit a couple of months ago. It's very, very different but I'm enjoying it. I don't think, though, that anything will replace crochet as my first and true love. :hook

I tried knitting but just couldn't seem to keep my yarn tension even, so things always ended up looking a bit wonky :( One day when I have more time (and patience haha) I may give it another shot.

Archived