Interweave Crochet Winter 2007

siminsc

Yes that is a nice pattern and it doesn't look overly difficult. I do have a complaint about the issue, it has another pattern that you must knit and than add a little crochet again. This really bugs me as this is a CROCHET magazine and not a knit and crochet magazine. I do have a subscription but I'm not so sure I will renew, maybe I am just a crabby patty today :( but really they don't really have any competition out there as it seems most of the crochet magazines have gone out of business. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

We are going to start that one after the New year~:crocheting

A friend of mine and I are going to get together and hook a bit...we both loved this pattern. Not going to use the same yarn though~wool in Texas?? Not!

mgf~:yay

Yes that is a nice pattern and it doesn't look overly difficult. I do have a complaint about the issue, it has another pattern that you must knit and than add a little crochet again. This really bugs me as this is a CROCHET magazine and not a knit and crochet magazine. I do have a subscription but I'm not so sure I will renew, maybe I am just a crabby patty today :( but really they don't really have any competition out there as it seems most of the crochet magazines have gone out of business. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

Over at Knitting Daily they were complaining about the knitting magazines that had a crochet pattern in them. ;)

I really like that one. I think bringing the best of both crafts together is a good idea. I know an old Family Circle Easy Crochet had a few of knit and crochet items too (as a special item) and I thought they looked rather snazzy too. :)

Ah, well, not every pattern is something we will all make. :)

I don't understand this sentiment. I highly doubt I will find the patience to crochet a doily, but I won't stop buying a magazine because they include a pattern for one. How is this any different?

There are a lot of us who crochet and knit, just like there are a lot of people who crochet with thread.

I could understand the complaint if there wasn't any crochet involved with the pattern, but being upset because the pattern for this sweater calls for you to knit the body and then crochet the sleeves.....

I just don't understand it. How can we as crocheters expect Knitters to not look "down" on us if we do the same thing to knit projects.

I don't understand this sentiment. I highly doubt I will find the patience to crochet a doily, but I won't stop buying a magazine because they include a pattern for one. How is this any different?

There are a lot of us who crochet and knit, just like there are a lot of people who crochet with thread.

I could understand the complaint if there wasn't any crochet involved with the pattern, but being upset because the pattern for this sweater calls for you to knit the body and then crochet the sleeves.....

I just don't understand it. How can we as crocheters expect Knitters to not look "down" on us if we do the same thing to knit projects.

This is just my 2 cents but it does annoy me when I purchase a CROCHET magazine and as I'm browsing through the patterns I see something cool, something I would really love to make and then when I start reading the pattern, then and only then do I realize it required both knitting and crocheting. It's just like a big tease in my opinion! It's not that I'm looking down at knitting, it's just that I'm unable to do it at this point in my life and when I've got a crochet mag in my hand, I should be able to make anything in that magazine. It's not fair to see something that I want to make and know that I can't make it... Does that make sense?

(Can't I act like a spoiled brat at any point in my life anymore?) LOL

I have to agree with Mandi and Harvestar on the patterns combining knitting and crochet. One such pattern per issue doesn't bother me at all--I have liked the look of the ones Interweave Crochet had lately. I don't knit, but am thinking of learning, so I might just make those one day. I haven't seen a crochet magazine or book yet with patterns that I thought I would ever make all of, so a knit/crochet piece is no different to me than a crochet pattern I have no immediate plans to make. Back in the 80s there were a number of crochet patterns that had knitted ribbing at the neck, cuffs, and bottom, so this is nothing new.

I do agree it is frustrating to buy a mag for a pattern then later find that there is a roadblock to making it, but that can happen for a lot of reasons with crocheted items too.

I am looking forward to seeing lots of pics here of the Infinity Wrap!

This is just my 2 cents but it does annoy me when I purchase a CROCHET magazine and as I'm browsing through the patterns I see something cool, something I would really love to make and then when I start reading the pattern, then and only then do I realize it required both knitting and crocheting. It's just like a big tease in my opinion! It's not that I'm looking down at knitting, it's just that I'm unable to do it at this point in my life and when I've got a crochet mag in my hand, I should be able to make anything in that magazine. It's not fair to see something that I want to make and know that I can't make it... Does that make sense?

It makes complete sense to me.

I agree, it's a matter of frustration rather than looking down on it.

And yes there is a difference between having a doily (or whatever you won't make now) and something knitted if you don't knit. I can always change my mind about the doily. ;)

I think if they are going to put something in there that has a part that is knit~it would be nice if the put a alternative crochet way too~

I am one of those that only know how to crochet~so making an item that is crochet and knit for me is out of the question.

mgf~ :yay

I think if they are going to put something in there that has a part that is knit~it would be nice if the put a alternative crochet way too~

I am one of those that only know how to crochet~so making an item that is crochet and knit for me is out of the question.

I totally agree! I think Knitting is cool but I so don't have that skill! Perhaps one day, but perhaps not! Meanwhile, I too think that an all-crochet version should be included in a crochet magazine! Or at least provide it at the Web site as Interweave already does for other patterns!

Okay, just to be devil's advocate here, why doesn't seeing a beautiful sweater you love challenge you to pick up needles and learn to knit? That's what spurred me. And why would the designer, who purposefully chose to contrast knit and crochet portions on the same item, supply an all crochet version of that same pattern? Single crocheting or Tunisian knitting the body of the sweater in question would not provide the contrast and create the vision the designer was aiming for in his/her creation. And it's only one item in the entire magazine. Let it either inspire you to make your own all-crochet version or learn to knit. The glass is half full! Just MHO, remember.... Patty

Okay, just to be devil's advocate here, why doesn't seeing a beautiful sweater you love challenge you to pick up needles and learn to knit? That's what spurred me. And why would the designer, who purposefully chose to contrast knit and crochet portions on the same item, supply an all crochet version of that same pattern? Single crocheting or Tunisian knitting the body of the sweater in question would not provide the contrast and create the vision the designer was aiming for in his/her creation. And it's only one item in the entire magazine. Let it either inspire you to make your own all-crochet version or learn to knit. The glass is half full! Just MHO, remember.... Patty

That was my thought too...

My thing is that it is one pattern out of a whole magazine. It's not like there are 5 or 6 things in there that are knit/crochet. So why not just overlook the one pattern that you aren't interested in. I'm not interested in making doilies, but I wouldn't get upset if there was one in a magazine I bought. Just because I can't/won't make it doesn't mean that no one should.

Honestly where else are those of us who do both crafts supposed to go to get patterns that combine the two?

It's just getting silly if there ends up having to be a Interweave Knits, Interweave Crochet , and Interweave Knits/Crochet.

Can't we all just get along?? lol

As far as this issue was concerned there were a few things I saw I might want to make. But I wish there was some way I could cut the sweaters and stuff down to fit my dd. I don't see me every making crocheting a top for myself, but I woud love to for my dd. I guess I just need to figure it out for myself.

I think they should leave the combo patterns as freebies on their website. I can't get the hang of knitting I would love to but can't figure it out . When I see a pattern I like alot & then see that it's part knitted it's upsetting. It would be like buying diet sodas & getting one regular soda in it . Or going to a movie & they speak another language through part of it with no subtitles :lol

I think they should leave the combo patterns as freebies on their website. I can't get the hang of knitting I would love to but can't figure it out . When I see a pattern I like alot & then see that it's part knitted it's upsetting. It would be like buying diet sodas & getting one regular soda in it . Or going to a movie & they speak another language through part of it with no subtitles :lol

I completely agree with this! My brain just can't figure out knitting and I too would be frustrated with something like this happening. When I pick up a pattern book that says "knit and crochet" on the front of it, I fully expect there to be both kinds of patterns in there, although not necessarily in the same pattern (but that wouldn't surprise me). However, if it is a CROCHET magazine, sneaking in a knit pattern would peeve me a bit.

Sara

I think the best aspect of Interweave Crochet is that I can learn from it...it shows me new things. If I ever do learn to knit I will be glad to have those combo designs. i think somebody already said, if we think it's cool when a crochet design shows up in a knitting mag, why isn't a knitted element in a crochet mag cool as well? :hook

I've started the Infinity wrap and it seems quite easy. It's making up really quickly too!

Jo

So which yarn did you decide to work yours up in???

I don't want wool~as it don't get that cold here in West Texas......Searching for ideas!!

When I saw the knit/crochet sweater, my first thought was "hurmph, I don't want to knit that" (I can knit, I just don't really like to). But then I got to thinking about it, and I came up with this: Take a big ol' wool sweater from the thrift store, felt it to size, cut off the sleeves and neckline, and then add the crochet on from there. See, everybody wins!:cheer

So which yarn did you decide to work yours up in???

I don't want wool~as it don't get that cold here in West Texas......Searching for ideas!!

Hi,

I went with the Plymouth Boku as in the published pattern (though I chose a different colour as I'm not really a pink person!) It's fantastic yarn and I'm really pleased with it.

Hi,

I went with the Plymouth Boku as in the published pattern (though I chose a different colour as I'm not really a pink person!) It's fantastic yarn and I'm really pleased with it.

I was going to order the same yarn! What color are you doing yours in?

Kim

Archived