Interweave Crochet Winter 2007

siminsc

My 2 cents worth: I love Interweave Crochet. I do not like when a magazine that is suppose to be devoted to crochet runs patterns that are mostly knit. I knit, if I wanted a knitting pattern I would buy a magazine devoted to , gee, knitting. I don't mind a crochet mag that has crocheted doilies, afghans, or other things that I will not make..they are all crocheted in a mag devoted to crochet. Knitting patterns should be excluded....getting off of soapbox now.

My 2 cents worth: I love Interweave Crochet. I do not like when a magazine that is suppose to be devoted to crochet runs patterns that are mostly knit. I knit, if I wanted a knitting pattern I would buy a magazine devoted to , gee, knitting. I don't mind a crochet mag that has crocheted doilies, afghans, or other things that I will not make..they are all crocheted in a mag devoted to crochet. Knitting patterns should be excluded....getting off of soapbox now.

See I could understand this if it was a pattern for a pair of knitted socks, or a completly knitted sweater. Or if there was an article for a new knitting technique. However what we are talking about is one pattern for a sweater that is mostly crocheted. I think that certainly belongs in a crochet magazine.

It would make sense that there should have been an alternative pattern for people who can't knit to crochet the front and back of the sweater instead of knitting it.

However I don't see where this is anything to get this upset over when this is a really good magazine. There are a lot of good patterns in the magazine, and all together it's an awesome magazine. Sure it has room to grow, but even in that it's a lot better then the other crochet magazines that are out there.

IMO

I don't have a LYS besides Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Walmart......and I havn't seen any of that ever.

What does that yarn cost???

Where can you get it??

mgf~:yay

I found it on Ebay for a pretty good price but I don't recall the name of the seller.

Kim

This may sound very "snooty" but Interweave Crochet started out as an ALL crochet magazine, that is one of the things that really made me over joyed with it. I am a very avid knitter and I am not against knitting at all. To my knowledge, there really isn't alot of crochet in knitting magazines, single crochet is used for edgings and to finish off and again to me that hardly compares to crochet as a whole. I just don't think knitting belongs in an all crochet magazine, just my opinion. I guess I was just assuming that it would continue to be all crochet......Ok I'm going to confess I AM A STINGY CROCHET JUNKIE....Whew got that out of my system. :)

"However what we are talking about is one pattern for a sweater that is mostly crocheted. I think that certainly belongs in a crochet magazine."

The entire body of the sweater is knitted, the sleeves and collar are not. That does not make it a "mostly crocheted" garment.

So maybe I'm being picky, but I'll stand by what I said before: If I wanted to buy a mag with knitted articles, even one, I would buy a mag devoted to knittting. I'd feel the exact same way if I were an advid knitter, and found crochet articles in m knitting mag.

[quote name=faedragon;1067334

The entire body of the sweater is knitted' date=' the sleeves and collar are not. That does not make it a "mostly crocheted" garment.

So maybe I'm being picky, but I'll stand by what I said before: If I wanted to buy a mag with knitted articles, even one, I would buy a mag devoted to knittting. I'd feel the exact same way if I were an advid knitter, and found crochet articles in m knitting mag.[/quote]

Faedragon, I totally agree with you! I was at Borders today and there were at least 10 knitting magazines and only 3 crochet magazines. When I buy a crochet magazine I expect it to have all crochet patterns. It would be different, in my opinion, if there were just as many magazines for crocheters but there isn't!

Kim

I can see the dilemma some of you are in: you don't knit. Either do I, so it's frustrating to see something in a crochet mag with knitting. If I was tempted to make that garment, I'd try replacing it with tunisian crochet in a comparable stitch, following the recommended gauge. You get the look of knitting without all the frustration of working with two needles.

To make it easier, you could get some large newsprint paper (manilla drawing paper sold in a large pad and found in most art stores) and measure and cut out a garment according to the schematic in the magazine. Make sure to choose the correct size for you. As you're working up your tunisian crochet (to replace the knitting), compare it against the paper version to see if it's the correct size. Then, pick up the directions are the knitted portion is complete.

I can see the dilemma some of you are in: you don't knit. Either do I, so it's frustrating to see something in a crochet mag with knitting. If I was tempted to make that garment, I'd try replacing it with tunisian crochet in a comparable stitch, following the recommended gauge. You get the look of knitting without all the frustration of working with two needles.

To make it easier, you could get some large newsprint paper (manilla drawing paper sold in a large pad and found in most art stores) and measure and cut out a garment according to the schematic in the magazine. Make sure to choose the correct size for you. As you're working up your tunisian crochet (to replace the knitting), compare it against the paper version to see if it's the correct size. Then, pick up the directions are the knitted portion is complete.

That's an excellent suggestion!!

Thanks!

Kim

Ladies, ladies, you're making me look bad! When there was an out and out blast on Knitting Daily when they posted an all-crochet column this fall, I posted a note saying that I didn't know any crocheters who reacted so strongly if knit was included with crochet. I guess I was wrong. (Don't flame me! :eek) If we want more fashionable styles, and if we want updated techniques using these gorgeous now yarns (which IMHO haven't really been as fully explored by crochet designers as they could be, although certainly some are trying, including many of our designers here on the 'Ville), than we have to convert some of the knitting designers to the crochet world. That will happen as IP, which really has offered a popular and polished venue for knitwear, entices designers with IC. That designer probably told her designing friends she had a pattern published in that IC; some may have picked up the magazine for the first time just to see it. Some may be intrigued by what they see, enough to try their own hand at designing something in crochet.

Personally, if I never see a tissue box cover pattern again, I'd be happy. But that certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a magazine or book that I wanted, even if it has a tissue box cover pattern in it. And I know other people love them, so I'm glad someone is designing them for those that like them. But what I really want are fresh, fashionable crochet clothing patterns using the newest types of yarn, and I think we can get that by luring some knitters over from the dark side (just a joke, I like to both crochet and knit) and showing them the versatility, ease, and beauty of crocheting and what it offers them. JMHO, as always. Patty

When I saw the knit/crochet sweater, my first thought was "hurmph, I don't want to knit that" (I can knit, I just don't really like to). But then I got to thinking about it, and I came up with this: Take a big ol' wool sweater from the thrift store, felt it to size, cut off the sleeves and neckline, and then add the crochet on from there. See, everybody wins!:cheer

I'm not thrilled when I see a pattern I like and then find out it's partly knitted (I don't knit at all). But then I got to thinking of other ways of using the pattern too - you could repurpose an old sweater, or even a interlock-knit top. You could find a pattern for a crocheted pullover with the same body style, but use the sleeves and collar from the magazine pattern. It's a design challenge and a learning experience!

Personally, if I never see a tissue box cover pattern again, I'd be happy. But that certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a magazine or book that I wanted, even if it has a tissue box cover pattern in it

There will always be alot of patterns in crochet mags that I don't like & would never make. I still buy the magazine if thereare a few I do like. To me it's just not the same as including a pattern for a different craft in it. Kind of like when Crochet with Heart magazine went out of business they sent me a cross stitch magazine to finish my subscription :think

To me it's just not the same as including a pattern for a different craft in it.

Ah, now I understand the difference. I don't see knitting as a different craft. To me, they are both ways to use yarn, so they are just two sides of the same coin. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. The medium is the more important thing to me, not the way you get to the final product.

Patty

....Received the Interweave winter mag and subscription for a year as a christmas present...Delighted!

....The infinity wrap is on my TO DO for 2008...:crocheting

To me it's just not the same as including a pattern for a different craft in it.

Ah, now I understand the difference. I don't see knitting as a different craft. To me, they are both ways to use yarn, so they are just two sides of the same coin. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. The medium is the more important thing to me, not the way you get to the final product.

Patty

While I do think of crochet and knitting as two different crafts, I think this is a really good point about using the same medium.

This issue of the magazine also has bags that are decorated with needle-felting and cross-stitch, two new crafts that some of us might choose to learn.

If we want crochet to be more appreciated in the world of fiber arts, I think we need to have appreciation for all the crafts that make up that world.

Well I certainly don't recall ever saying I don't like or appreciate knitting. I just can't figure out how to do it. The other things you speak off like needle felting or cross stitching can be left off those patterns without losing too much. If you left the knitting out of the pattern in question you'd have no sweater :lol

I have read some really good points here on this subject and honestly I do think that crochet should be enough to show off what can be done. As someone who has taught both knitting and crochet I can safely say my students either LOVE knit or crochet only and not alot of them will learn the other once they have learned one, but if anyone else teaches please chime in here as this is just my expierence. I don't think you need to add knit to crochet or crochet to knit in order to "show off" it's potential. I will be highly disappointed if Interweave Crochet continues this trend. Honestly I don't think this will make anyone want to learn how to knit, it may make them adapt the design on their own in crochet. This has been tried many times over the years and to date, it never catches on. Yes I agree that in the past Interweave Crochet raised the bar so to speak for crochet and I guess what I am trying to say is that in order to keep that bar up there it should remain all crochet :)

Well I certainly don't recall ever saying I don't like or appreciate knitting. I just can't figure out how to do it. The other things you speak off like needle felting or cross stitching can be left off those patterns without losing too much. If you left the knitting out of the pattern in question you'd have no sweater :lol

I didn't mean to say I thought anybody didn't appreciate knitting:) I am definitely with you on not being a knitter. I learned a tiny bit about it back in the 70s, and now I keep thinking maybe I will try again to learn, but haven't done so yet. I guess I don't want to stop crocheting to make time for learning to knit:lol

I've seen a couple of recent issues of Vogue Knitting, and they had articles about crochet, which I think is pretty cool. So I also think it is cool that there are combined projects in Interweave Crochet.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to order the same yarn! What color are you doing yours in?

Kim

I'm doing it in #10, which is greens, purple, and a little bit of orange - very autumny colours. Am having a **** of a time getting it to lie flat, though!

I'm doing it in #10, which is greens, purple, and a little bit of orange - very autumny colours. Am having a **** of a time getting it to lie flat, though!

Do you mean getting the spiral areas to lay flat or the whole thing? I'm wondering if after it's finished and blocked it will smooth out? I was going to get my yarn this weekend...do you think it's because of the yarn or the pattern? I really want to make that pattern!

Kim

Do you mean getting the spiral areas to lay flat or the whole thing? I'm wondering if after it's finished and blocked it will smooth out? I was going to get my yarn this weekend...do you think it's because of the yarn or the pattern? I really want to make that pattern!

Kim

It's not the spiral motifs, it's the sides of the wrap that join the motif together. I've frogged several times, been really careful with tension, etc., but it's still bulging like crazy. I'm hoping that some vigorous blocking will sort it out. I've only done one side so far, so I'm going to pin that to my blocking board and test it out. I'll see if I can pin it flat (without actually blocking it). I'd quite like to check this out before I embark on the 2nd side!

Jo

It's not the spiral motifs, it's the sides of the wrap that join the motif together. I've frogged several times, been really careful with tension, etc., but it's still bulging like crazy. I'm hoping that some vigorous blocking will sort it out. I've only done one side so far, so I'm going to pin that to my blocking board and test it out. I'll see if I can pin it flat (without actually blocking it). I'd quite like to check this out before I embark on the 2nd side!

Jo

Could you let me know how it works out? I'd like to know before I start mine! Hope you can figure out how to get it flat.:think

Thanks!!

Kim

Could you let me know how it works out? I'd like to know before I start mine! Hope you can figure out how to get it flat.:think

Thanks!!

Kim

I pinned it out and it laid flat! Also, there's a crocheter on Ravelry who's been having exactly the same problem as me. She contacted Kristin Omdahl (the designer) via Ravelry and she said that the finished wrap needs a very vigorous blocking and then all will be well. Let us know how you get on with yours!

I pinned it out and it laid flat! Also, there's a crocheter on Ravelry who's been having exactly the same problem as me. She contacted Kristin Omdahl (the designer) via Ravelry and she said that the finished wrap needs a very vigorous blocking and then all will be well. Let us know how you get on with yours!

Thanks so much for the info!! I'll get started on mine this weekend.:yay

Post pics of yours when you can, I'd love to see it!

Kim

The infinity wrap is on my to do list. The yarn is on order from my LYS and I hope to get it in next week some time. I'm using the yarn suggested but in a different colorway. I'm sure glad to know it needs a good blocking so I don't worry when it puckers.

So far the infinity wrap is the only thing I really want to make from that issue. I liked the looks of the knit/crochet sweater but it really wouldn't be flattering in me. The other crocheted sweater was too frilly looking for me as well. I like the stitch in the bodice and it's shaping but not the ruffles so I might try and make it sans the ruffles.

The mens and boys sweaters were nice and might make one for my son eventually and maybe one for my dh.

The infinity wrap is on my to do list. The yarn is on order from my LYS and I hope to get it in next week some time. I'm using the yarn suggested but in a different colorway. I'm sure glad to know it needs a good blocking so I don't worry when it puckers.

So far the infinity wrap is the only thing I really want to make from that issue. I liked the looks of the knit/crochet sweater but it really wouldn't be flattering in me. The other crocheted sweater was too frilly looking for me as well. I like the stitch in the bodice and it's shaping but not the ruffles so I might try and make it sans the ruffles.

The mens and boys sweaters were nice and might make one for my son eventually and maybe one for my dh.

I'd really like to make the Flowers For Eryn Wrap. I think it's gorgeous with the motif in the back and along the edges.

Kim

Archived