Lighted crochet hook

I love mine.... I have used it at outdoor concerts, the movie theater (which my husband and kids were horrified!) in my own home while everyone is watching a movie with the lights outs.. possibilities are endless! It does give off more light than you would think. They are pretty cheap to at least give it a try! Go ahead!!!

You know most of the time I don't even light mine. I just love the way the hook glides through the yarn! :)

The one thing I don't like about the lighted hooks is that you kind of have to look straight at the LED (the light source) inside the hook which is really bad so I rarely use mine. Looking straight at an LED for extended periods of time will do a lot of damage to your eyes after a while due to short wavelength radiation (same reason you shouldn't look straight at laser pointers).

I am prone to migraines from bright or flashing lights and you wouldn't think this would be bright enough to bother it, but lordy, did it ever. I would love to get rid of the one I have!!!!

I love mine. I am beginning toh ave trouble seeing the stitches with dark colors and this is a great tool. I used mine alot at camp this summer to crochet without getting eaten alive by the bugs no light no bugs. It is also great fo car rides and yes i even took mine to the movie theater.

I am prone to migraines from bright or flashing lights and you wouldn't think this would be bright enough to bother it, but lordy, did it ever. I would love to get rid of the one I have!!!!

That is the very same reason that I don't use the light often. Bright light gives me halo vision with my migraines too. It is a very bright light. I wish it was more of a soft "reading" light but it's bright enough to use as a flashlight lol! I do use it sometimes at night especially when I am working with a dark blue or black yarn. I just try not to use it for long. I can handle about 20-30 min & then I turn it off. Still a very neat hook for crocheting at night. I love the handle more than the light though. To the OP, it does light up your stitches, even though the hook is moving. It's probably similar to someone shining a flashlight for you. The light is moving "with" your hook. That can be a little distracting but does allow you to see the stitches.

I have one - and when I use it, I kind of point it away from my eyes, so that the tip lights the crochet. The end of it is brighter than the length, and the tip is really too bright to look at directly. But it lights up the crochet really well. I just have to adjust the way I'm holding my work in order to use it.

My lys put them on sale half price awhile back, so I bought several. I'm going to get them in my stocking!

I have an H and I lighted hook and I love them. I do agree they are a bit too bright but at times that is an advantage as well when I want to read in bed on hubby's nights off and he's sleeping. As for it being too bright while crocheting, I've been wondering if a coloured see-through nail polish would take off some of the brightness without ruining the hook. Haven't tried it yet though. I've also been wondering if the hooks are detachable so I could get a bunch of the hooks and a bunch of the knitting needles and instantly have all the afghan hook sizes I need/want.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I like the hooks but don't like the lights. They're too bright for me. However, they are great for checking cats' and dogs' ears for ear problems.

I never thought of that! Our cocker spaniel always has ear infections. :hook

I have an H and I lighted hook and I love them. I do agree they are a bit too bright but at times that is an advantage as well when I want to read in bed on hubby's nights off and he's sleeping. As for it being too bright while crocheting, I've been wondering if a coloured see-through nail polish would take off some of the brightness without ruining the hook. Haven't tried it yet though. I've also been wondering if the hooks are detachable so I could get a bunch of the hooks and a bunch of the knitting needles and instantly have all the afghan hook sizes I need/want.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I think the acetone in the nail polish would make the plastic melt or get sticky. I used a black permanent marker to put a dot on the very point. It cuts out the glare very well but does wear off after a while. I only use the lighted hook on very dark colors like navy or black.

Sheryl

Yeah, I use mine for a flashlight too! I know I saw an RAOK wish list of someone who wanted one. Can't remember who, you'll have to search the lists if you want to give one away!

Tiffylu in Group 19 is asking for one.

http://crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64733&page=2

I like them. In fact, I like them better than the aluminum hooks, and I use them, even when I don't need the light.. They're great for when DH wants to watch TV with the lights out. I have three hooks, a "F," "H" and "K." The gauge seem to be a little bigger than the normal aluminum hooks, so it's like having "G," "I" and "L" hooks. I want the entire set now.

My husband bought me a set of 9 (c-k) for Christmas and they just arrived yesterday. Yipee!:clap I sure hope I like them though. Would be an awful waste of $ if I didn't. Though I have LOTS of hooks I don't ever use, I just like collecting. ;)

I love mine! They are great for dark color yarns. When siting outside watching the High School Football Games-[daughter in the marching band] i can see what i am doing. While watching TV do not get yelled at to turn off the lights! In the car at dusk thru darkness they are fantastic! Mine seemed to need new batteries fast!:cheer

I bought one when I was working on my nephew's graduation afghan. It was camo yarn and I did all the camo squares--then had dark sage to edge with. I about went blind working with all that dark yarn! Not only edging but post stitches and all.....

I bought the lighted hook and it worked like a charm. If it is too bright maybe you could be really cool and crochet with dark glasses on? lol :badidea

Zac's afghan.....he loved it!!!!

zac1.jpg

:hug,

Lorry

I'm with the camp that isn't too crazy about them...I ordered 3 from Joanne's a few weeks ago and was really excited about trying them as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I agree the light is too bright, it hurts my eyes and all I can see is the light, I can't really see the yarn.

It may be just me, however, as I am developing cataracts, according to my optometrist, and will have to have surgery eventually. One of the side effects, according to the doc, is extreme light sensitivity (explains my night blindness), so they may work better for someone who has better (younger :P) eyes.

I also have a thing about using plastic hooks, I've never found one I like & I should have taken that into mind before ordering them. Nevertheless, I am going to try them a few more times before gifting them to someone.

Elvee, that afghan is amazing. I actually have that pattern and made the same afghan for my daughter about 10 years ago. It was a pattern I got out of a magazine that is no longer in publication. Crochet with Red Heart? or something like that. I have almost all the issues ever published but am too lazy right now to go look for them. Is that where you found your pattern or is it available somewhere else? The afghan I made for my Dd was with the RHSS variagated Mexicana (?) I think and black. I've never seen another one. Yours is just beautiful, I love the green and camo together. I've always wondered what one would look like in another colorway and now I know! It was the first time I had ever followed a pattern and what a learning experience!

Well, didn't mean to write a book, but there ya go...

Katie

Archived