Is this an acceptable gift idea?

I have to go to a holiday party next week and there will be a gift exchange. The group is all women and we are expected to bring a $20 gift. I would really like to MAKE something instead of having to buy something but don't know what would be equivalent to $20. My first thought was a neck pillow, maybe with a $10 gas card. Or I could do several dish cloth/sponges/potholders.... I have a TON of worsted cotton that I bought to make gifts with and would love to use what I already have.

What price do I put on crocheted items? Thoughts?

Sara

I think the neck pillow with the gas card is a great idea. Also, what about a quick scarf and hat set? I agree, it's hard to put a price on something you put a lot of hard work into.

I guess you could do it the same as selling. Everyone says to double or triple the amount of supplies, plus your "hourly wage" which should be a fair wage.

Checking the Selling Crochet section here, they have I Need Some Advice! which has Hat/Scarf set and some say $20. Depending on yarn, stitches and time involved.

So I think that would be sufficient. Most of us crocheters don't take into consideration what it's worth because we're so good at it:hook and it seems too easy for us. And the cost of material is so inexpensive, but when added with time and talent, it is worth more.

If you have cotton WW, do a bunch of cotton clothes. They can use them for dishclothes, washclothes, just general cleaning up. Put about 3- 5 or so in a nice basket. Maybe include a bottle of liquid soap. Add a pretty ribbon. Nothing too much, $10 for the extras, and the dishclothes add up to $20.

Debbi

I have to go to a holiday party next week and there will be a gift exchange. The group is all women and we are expected to bring a $20 gift. I would really like to MAKE something instead of having to buy something but don't know what would be equivalent to $20. My first thought was a neck pillow, maybe with a $10 gas card. Or I could do several dish cloth/sponges/potholders.... I have a TON of worsted cotton that I bought to make gifts with and would love to use what I already have.

What price do I put on crocheted items? Thoughts?

Sara

What about 2 or 3 crocheted washcloths, a chenille bath scrubbie and include some soaps or lotions. I made 3 different washcloths from the Lion Brand site that worked up pretty fast. Here's one of them.

My gift was well received. If you add up the approximate cost for the yarn (between $1-2 for a 50g ball) and top up the difference with the soaps and lotions, you'll really get more bang for your 20 bucks.

I put my stuff in a basket, covered the whole thing with clear plastic and tied a raffia bow.

Afterwards I saw something similar at the Body Shop and couldn't believe what they were charging.....

Just a thought...

Cheryl.

I love Cheryl's idea! That's one of the few things that I think almost everyone would love! Nowadays it's hard to give a crocheted gift without someone being rude and thinking you were trying to be "cheap" and getting out of spending money by making a gift instead of buying one. Many people don't appreciate the time and effort our crocheted gifts really are and may take the wrong approach, but a kind of bath and both gift basked with crocheted washcloths and scrubbies and such is a fantasic idea!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!!!!!!!!!

I am always preaching this, so if you have heard it before, Sorry. It is "eye candy". Wash cloths-great! Roll them up to look like roses. Put in a basket, as was suggested. Lotion and a candle add a nice touch. Fluffy bath scrubber looks good, too. Covered with wrap and a bow on top-elegant. Go for visual. Clunk! Off my soap box.

Glenda

I'm loving these basket ideas...and dollar trees are so full of goodies right about now. :):yes

:bang why didn't I stop today?! I was practically next door! :bang

Another thought...(I'm doing this for sibs) Some of those mini flavored coffee grounds samplers ($1 ea at walmart, right close to the whole beans section), some hot cocoa single serving packs, a pkg of ghirardelli (or other) chocolates, and some coasters...course, could also add mugs, if you find the right ones...and again, a nice little basket...

I just might have to make 2 sets of baskets now :)

I agree with Glenda that your presentation is going to make or break your gift. WE all know you spent time and love on your present, but not everyone does. Glam it up so that it looks special. Humble dishcloths in coordinating colors can look splendid tied with a beautiful ribbon or artfully arranged in the right sized box. I am assuming from your party description that the gifts will be given out by a drawing so you can't find out ahead of time what color preferences might be. Consider a natural theme with creamy white dish or bath cloths, color-coordinated soaps or gels and raffia decorations on a basket. Look at the picture with the Lion Brand pattern that Cheryl suggested. Very elegant stuff there in Lion cottons.

I've done "Cocoa Party" baskets - Mugs, cocoa packets, cookies or biscuits, and a fabric square (about 36") with a crocheted edging as a table topper. Buying the items at the dollar store means I can make it for about $15 or $20, depending on the basket.

I'm loving these ideas...it's getting me thinking too...

Enjoy making the gift, whichever you choose, and I'm sure it will be appreciated. If you go with any of the ideas on this thread, including yours!, you will be fine!

I like the gift basket with bath products idea. I think that most women like that sort of thing. Add some beautiful crocheted washcloths and arrange it nicely, and that will be a lovely gift.

I was astounded by what one person said about how people think the homemade gift is cheap. Do people really feel that way? When I taught school, I used to always make a homemade afghan when someone was having a baby, and the recipient always seemed to like it. Even my husband would rather have me make him something rather than buy him something. But, I guess not all people appreciate how much time something like a crocheted gift can take.

I also think the gift basket of bath stuff is a nice idea - but I would suggest adding unscented (or at least very lightly scented) bath products. I've gotten gift baskets like that before and always have to regift the perfumey body wash and such.

The hat and scarf set is also a nice idea if you don't want to go out and buy anything extra. Or maybe a purse/bag?

Archived