What to teach next?

*****************Update and edit: **********************************************

I've been asked (begged, by all the kids who took this class before...they are so cute!) to teach another 6-week term of crochet, and we're calling it "Advanced Crochet" with a pre-requisite of having mastered the basic stitches. I've planned out four weeks so far and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for the other two weeks? Here's what I have so far:

Week 1: "fancy" stitches--bobble, popcorn, shell, picot, cluster, puff, v-stitch, front and back post

Week 2: Ripples

Week 3: Granny squares/other squares

Week 4: Filet

I've asked all the kids for suggestions, and the above are what everyone is interested in learning. One of them also wants to learn tapestry, so that is a possiblity for another week. I would love to hear any additional input any of you have! The classes are 40 minutes long.

I am nearing the end of a 12-week crochet class that I'm teaching to a bunch of kids at a homeschool co-op every Tuesday afternoon. Next week is our last week. I have a brilliant 12-year-old boy in there (a couple of weeks ago he invented his own crocheted chessboard AND a complete set of chess pieces, all crocheted!!) and he wants to be challenged.

Now, bear in mind, none of these kids had ever picked up a crochet hook before September. Currently, about 4 of them are really excelling, and the rest are either halfway there or straggling along still as mostly beginners. The last couple of weeks, since everyone is at a different level, I've just provided patterns and help as needed, asking them often individually what they want to learn. I don't feel like I can teach one advanced technique if everyone is at such different levels.

But this boy doesn't feel like class is "class" unless he's learning something new. He doesn't have any particular requests about what to learn, just wants to be challenged. Do you have any ideas for me to make his last class experience a good one? He's already very good at all the basic stitches, crocheting in the round and ovals and triangles, sewing things together, making amigurumi, changing colors, and granny squares. He's also done front and back post double and triple, and we go over all the main pattern abbreviations and international symbols every week.

Thanks if you have any ideas for me!

What about having him write out a pattern that he makes up or the pattern for his chess board/set.

if he is going to be this creative, it would be good for him to learn to tell others how to do what he does. There are certain crochet protocols that readers expect - with some leeway- and it would be nice if he could get some of that down.

You may have discovered the next Kaffe Fasset

Challenge him with a graph pattern. Let him decide if he wants to do it in afghan stitch or sc. If he decides afghan, then there is an entire lesson. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for all the ideas. Darski, who is Kaffe Fasset? Now you've got me curious. :D

I've thought about the Crochet Garden hat. I'm definitely going to be printing off a copy for one of the girls in the class, since she loves cables as much as I do. I'll get him one, too. Tunisian is a good idea--I hadn't thought of that. I know the beginning afghan stitch and not any more so far, but that's a good place to start. I can also show him bobbles and popcorns I suppose, though he's good enough now and we've gone over the abbreviations and symbols so much that I think he can understand how to read most patterns and figure them out on his own.

He did already write me down the pattern for his chessboard. I was so amazed when I saw it that I asked him for the pattern and he sat right down and spent ten minutes writing it out.

These kids are really amazing. I couldn't have dreamed up a better group to teach. It's been a great experience.

while it's semi simple amigurimi can be challenging. with sewing the pieces together. there are tons of really cute things to make. or talk to him about freeform crocheting. that might pique his interest. he sounds like an amazing crocheter.

Sounds like you have a genius with the hook on your hands...All that since September!? Wow!! Another thought would be to have him try a sweater. If that wouldn't be too long of a process. That might be slightly more complex, especially if you add a picture to the front. (or cables, or some other technique) There's a ton of sweater patterns online, I'd think there should be something to suit his fancy...Admittedly, for guys sweaters, there's very little "fit" involved, but it could introduce concepts such as ease, and give him another direction to explore.

Thread might be another option...

just my :2c

Have you tried all kinds of yarn - the slubbed yarns, furs, ribbon and shoelace? Maybe felting, and what to do with felted pieces? (I'm thinking of what I would have wanted to continue with when my dad taught me at that age.)

The Male crocheter seem to pick up the art of crocheting very fast. My nephew who is new to crocheting is also so taken with crocheting that he crochets better than me. His main object to crochet is hats. Like the newsboy caps that is so famous now to wear. What about getting him to crochet one of those. Just a thought:manyheart

• 3 months later...

I've added an update and request for additional topics...thanks so much if you have any more ideas for me!

You could challenge him to design his own sweater. Put in different requirements and design elements for him to meet.

You could also introduce him to the art of Irish lace. That's always a great challenge.

I like the idea of free-form...combining that w/ Irish lace techniques, remembering that there are no rules--that's the hard part. Teach him to think outside the box of geometrics and get into organic shapes. He's at the age where boys start to enjoy that stuff.

What else is he interested in? You could challenge him to make a backgammon board, or a hammock--Solomon's knot would be good for that--or work more with the color wheel. Oh! There's a UK site that sells patterns for knit and crochet blankets, as well as quilts. One of the pattern packs they offer is about Sudoku quilts. You could challenge him with color experimentation and math at the same time by having him design a Sudoku afghan using whatever type of square pattern he chooses. Or it doesn't have to be color but could be texture or stitch experimentation. Give him 9 stitch patterns to learn and have him rearrange them in different orders according to Sudoku rules. Hmmm...I'm going to have write down that idea! It would make a great chalenge for when my kids home school!

Archived