A Lil Yarn

Okay, how much yarn do you say one should purchase when they do not have a particular project in mind, but they just loooove the yarn?

My girlfriend, "Short Stuff Lil Bit" says 1,000 yards. YIKES!

I asked her this after purchasing two hanks (at the time didn't even know what a "hank" was) and thought I had something. Duh. :no

I agree about the "cost" thing. Sometimes I simply fall in love with a yarn and have to have at least one skein, which doesn't lend itself to many projects. I think there is a book out that gives estimated amounts of yarn needed for all sorts of projects using different kinds of fiber. As I recall I saw it advertised on Maggie's Crochet and wish I had bought it. Maybe I'll revisit that site.....looking around to see if hubby is watching....I think I might be able to SQUEEZE a little out of the budget for ONE MORE CROCHET BOOK!!!!! (...kicking newest stack under the computer table....).

I agree about the "cost" thing. Sometimes I simply fall in love with a yarn and have to have at least one skein, which doesn't lend itself to many projects. I think there is a book out that gives estimated amounts of yarn needed for all sorts of projects using different kinds of fiber. As I recall I saw it advertised on Maggie's Crochet and wish I had bought it. Maybe I'll revisit that site.....looking around to see if hubby is watching....I think I might be able to SQUEEZE a little out of the budget for ONE MORE CROCHET BOOK!!!!! (...kicking newest stack under the computer table....).

Hey, why not try Amazon? It might be way less 'spensive there. That's where I got 99% of the books I want and sometimes for as little as $2.

In part it depends on the type of yarn, and in geneneral what you would use it for ~ like I look at something and think "Wouldn't that make a gorgeous sweater" or "Oh, that would go with the green I have at home for an afghan." In these cases, I would make sure to buy 9 or 10 skeins minumum.

When new colors come out and I like quite a few of them, I'll buy a skein of each for general use. I add them to the ones I already have because I like to make multi-stripe items and rainbow items.

If I see something I really like, I buy 9 or 10 skeins minimum.

If I see something I love, I buy 20 skeins minimum. I've bought 40 when it's being discontinued.

I buy in specific numbers if it is to match up with ones I already have, like a certain variegated I already bought. I found a plum to go with it. Now I'm looking for a certain blue to go with it also.

With a new yarn, I buy a single skien and make a simple sc scarf, to see how it works up, how it feels as I use it...

If I like it I'll think of what pattern I want to use it for, and then search out the pattern. I'll buy three or four skeins more than the pattern calls for, just in case of accidents.

The scarves (if I don't need the yarn for the project) go to charity.

I've been guilty of buying skeins of yarn and end up not having enough...then go back and it has been discontinued. But if I have a particular project in mind, I make sure to buy a little more than I need. I don't normally just buy yarn on a whim, but I have done that once or twice. Right now I have some beautiful chenille and can't decide what to make with it. Might need to run out and buy several more skeins, but it is fairly new so I think I can find it with no problem.

I usually get 3. (OCD thing???) I just picked up 5 the other day with a project in mind but I don't know how much to use. I had picked up 3 but the further I got away from the isle the more I thought I would need more. I bought 3 of the 3 colors I used for the Superman graphghan I made and didn't use close that amount. I use my "leftovers" for amis.

I ususally buy 10-20 skeins if I really love the color. Its been a few months since I have bought yarn. really don't need any. I'm crocheting :hookon seval projects at the moment,, so busy with that right now. The next yarn :yarnI am buying is the Earth - n - Sky. and lots of it. I love the colors in it.

Archived