How do you organize your WIP's?

first, I have to agree with several of the replies with "hahahaha" - I have totes, many totes, that at any given time will have a WIP inside...since I like the doll clothes, I can easily have all of the supplies for each item in separate totes. I do have a main tote, in which I also carry needles for sewing, snaps, a few beads...stuff like that so I can do some finishing work if the mood moves me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those plastic dresser-type things too. I have a large one with 5 drawers and 2 smaller ones. I have crafts other than yarn so I only have 2 large drawers to use for my yarn....simply not enough space, so it is for unused skeins. I also have a large bucket that has some used skeins in it but I was told that DH wants that back so there isn't much in there anymore. I have plastic totes in plastic totes... But as far as organization . . . lately the bag that the yarn comes home in is the storage "container" it stays in. I have a mountain in the corner right now.

lately the bag that the yarn comes home in is the storage "container" it stays in. I have a mountain in the corner right now.

What, are you trying to say that's not organized?? The bag I bring it home in becomes the project bag! lol

My FIL made us some storage cabinets a few years ago. The skinny one was to be dedicated to crocheting, (I told my self) (I'ts about 18 x 12 x 5 feet high) and the wide one (double the width, same depth and height) gets all the other crafty stuff like DH xstitch, fabric, glue, misc whosits, kids paint (only they're not allowed to use it w/o permission) etc etc.

so what happens? I now have a skinny cabinet full, and a big blue tote box/bin full of skeins, stuff, you name it. And since I've been here, my stash has grown...:hug to all enablers!...:rofl of course, if I organized it all, my yarns and threads would all fit, and have room...especially if I was brave enough to get rid of the craft stuff I save, but don't ever seem to use! :lol

Oh, how do I organize my WIPs? well, I have 3 around my seat, plus books and hooks and misc on the magazine table. And a small bag that's on standby anytime I go out (thread, tiny hooks, etc) One biggish one is in a papertype gift bag. One is in a pink tote bag I found at a yard sale for $1 and the last is in a "flat" bag I made. Accessories, books, scissors, needles and case, etc, are in a small basket on the mag table beside me. As is my cuppa :tea I guess you could call it organized...

Organize??? :haha

Well, my WIPs are organized, anyway. I keep three bags with WIPs, plus everything I need in them -- that way, I'm not scrambling for a tape measure, scissors, etc.

My yarn stash is hopeless...it's in plastic bins under three beds, in boxes, and in the closet. My goal in life is to go on a yarn diet, but every time I plan to, I find yet one more pattern that I just HAVE to make...:lol

I am an organized person so all my WIP's are in little piles on the work table I got at an thrift store. It's an old library table from the 1950's and it's perfect for laying out the pattern, hook and yarn I need. The table is in the TV room so every time I walk past it I'm reminded of what I need to work on next! :clap

What do I do with the WIP's and yarn I don't want to walk past? LOL, I stuff them in a closet of course! :devil

Kim

I keep my WIP's in 2.5 gallon ziplocs and put them inside either a basket next to my recliner or a big tote bag I have in the dining room. I don't really carry my WIP's outside of the house, but keep just a small ball of cotton and hook in my purse. If I get bored stuck somewhere, I can just whip up a dishcloth or can cozy.

My problem lately seems to be getting things finished, I'm jumping from one thing to another. I have about 5 WIP's going now and getting ready to start another. :hook

I use the plastic zipper bags that sheets and curtains come in for my wips unless they are too big like my parent's afghan which I'm almost finished with!!!! I generally have a big pile on top of the TV and also on top of the curio cabinet in the living room so my 19 month old doesn't get into everything. Every few days I bring it all back upstairs so the living room looks clean and then just bring down one project at a time to work on until they all end up back down here, lol.

I have my WIPs in a list on my computer. I rotate them and work a different project each week unless I have something I'm trying to get done for a deadline.

Most of my WIPs are in my car. I like to have something with me at all times, just in case. Also, am I the only one who crochets at red lights?

The rest of my WIPs are spread out between the couch in the den, my bedroom and the pool table in the basement.

Most of my WIPs are in my car. I like to have something with me at all times, just in case. Also, am I the only one who crochets at red lights?

Nope, I do that too. I have finished 2 dishcloths just by crocheting at red lights. I have LONG red lights to and from work.

Nope, I do that too. I have finished 2 dishcloths just by crocheting at red lights. I have LONG red lights to and from work.

I finished a baby afghan and hat mainly by crocheting at red lights. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I too have to deal with long red lights and it keeps me from being frustrated at sitting in traffic. I'm almost disappointed sometimes when the light turns green. :)

I've gotten some rather strange looks from people in the car next to me when the can see what I'm doing. I just smile, and keep hookin' :lol:lol

One lady even told me (through our open windows) that it was a great idea, and she was going to start doing that since she sits in traffic so much.

Tracyleigh , ebay! What a great idea! I had forgotten all about ebay for yarn! woo hoo! I'm off to search ebay, hehe

Chocchip, The brown paper bags are an EXCELLENT idea! They are cheap, you can get a bunch for, like, $1 - and they do the job!

PogoJr, at the red light!!! WOW, I thought I was bad for being in the minority that take the WIP's with me everywhere... don't know if our red lights are long enough here! hehe But it's worth a try!!! HA ! :clap

More than one WIP at a time would drive me to drink! I am a one huge project at a time kinda girl. Just the thought of more than one unfinished project would give me insomnia! OCD? Ya think!! :lol

I have a plastic bin that I keep the WIPs I am not currently doing in, they are in plastic bags in the bin. I have 3 other bins with yarn in them and a large empty zippered bag (I think from a slip cover) that my scraps and balls are in. My WIP and WIM patterns are in a binder on my desk. each in their own page protector, so when I want to travel with them (or put them back in the original binder, 14 of them last count) I just take the whole page in the protector. I now travel with a crocheted 8 pocket tote I made or a canvas tote I embellished, but I used to put them in an empty store plastic bag before.

I have the crochet messenger tote as one of my WIMs, so I will have 2 big totes. I use the canvas tote for the thread projects because I don't want fuzz from the crochet totes getting on the thread.

I used to only have one or two WIPs, but since I joined the Ville, I have Cals, charity projects, gifts and my own stuff all going on at once. This place is a bad influrence on me, :yes:lol:lol.

I am a tote bag girl. I LOVE them!!! I found this really cute one that holds pictures on the side and bought two of them. I can only handle 2 or 3 WIP's at a time, maximum. I keep everything in the tote so I can grab and go. I have a hook case and my scissors are in there along with my joining needles. I don't do things that I have to gauge - cause I'm not that good, and well,, ew - so I only need scissors, needles, and my hooks. I do want to get another pair of scissors so I can just leave them in the totes.

As far as my stash, it is small compared to most - I am sooo jealous - but I have three 58QT Sterilite plastic totes stacked in the living room - right beside the stationary bike, lol - full of yarn, patterns I want to try but I'm too chicken, plastic canvas, knitting stuff (I failed miserably) and ideas scratched on lots of loose paper. I am a much better crocheter in my own head.

Archived