Washcloths

Yep, they're usable! :D If you make them out of cotton they're not only washable, but they soften up as you abuse them.

I have a serious love affair with Peaches & Creme, myself...:manyheart

Just a quick clarification, do you mean washcloths (bathroom) or dishcloths (kitchen)? Of course both are available but my little pea brain just went straight to the kitchen... :sigh it's that workaday world, plain vanilla life rising again. :wlol

I have to admit that there are some great colours happening out there now. I have access to Bernat's Handicrafter Cotton and the colours just call your name as you walk by. Major additions to the petting zoo at WM. :llama :llama :ducky

i refuse to buy dishcloths , cleaning cloths or bathing cloths I make them and I use Bernat Handicrafter cotton. I am addicted to the stuff!!! my bathing and dishclothes become my cleaning clothes and when they are discusting and worn out I tossem'

I have made them for gifts and everybody wants more:hook

I make dishcloths and washcloths. I make them all sizes and use different stitches. It is a good way to practice new stitches and patterns. I haven't bought any from a store in so long. When my daughter sees a new color of cotton that she likes in my stash, she claims it as hers for a new washcloth. My son even raided my stash and took some off to college with him.

When they get faded, they become my cleaning/scrubbing cloths.

They work up fast, don't take a lot of yarn, and work great. I highly recommend them.

I hadn't seen or heard of them before coming to the 'ville. I made some for a family reunion last summer and everyone loved them. Also the person who's house we were at had several of them in her kitchen! I now have one in my kitchen. And a potholder! I love them. I just keep forgetting to make more.

I haven't made any washcloths yet, but I have made tons of dishcloths, and I use mine everyday...even with a dishwasher. I like them because they are thicker and you can make them as big or small as you want. You can even make them out of cotton thread. My grandma swore by those. They don't wear out easily either, just alittle color fading and they don't tend to hold the "grease" after washing. They are soft and smell nice. I think the storebought ones don't wash out as well. Just throw them in the washer and then the dryer. I love mine and my aunt always puts her order in when hers need to be replaced. Way better quality then store bought. I do plan to do some washcloths too, you can't ever have too many. Peaches and Cream is my favorite yarn for this. :hug

I have a question about these...I've seen a few people making them. Are they actually usable? Or just decoration? Washable? What type of yarn would I use to make one?

I'm finding a new house to move into soon, and looking for ideas for the new house.

I started knitting the classic diamond shaped dish cloths two or three years ago and everybody loves them. My sister needed a wash cloth one morning and had to resort to one of her new dish cloths I'd made for her and fell in love with it. Now every three or four months she brings me a couple of balls of SUGAR AND CREAM to replenish her supply. I have fun experimenting with stitches and shapes and she gets squeaky clean. I love 'em too!!! Get yourself a big ball of yarn and go mad. ;>D

Wow, thanks for all the info! :) What are the dimensions of the washcloths? And can you really use the potholders? Doesn't the heat from the pot (or pan) get through too quickly?

I always make my potholders with two strands -just to be sure they are safe- and they work every time. I like making my own... it is just better is all. :wlol

I think doubling the thread would work great! I always double the design and stitch togather with a single crochet! They are the absolute best! WOW.... I can't believe I didn't think of double thread before!!! Thanks! I guess you just start making them one way and "why break it if it's not broke" but sometimes there may be an easier way to do it... like double threads! LOL lOL

I think doubling the thread would work great! I always double the design and stitch togather with a single crochet! They are the absolute best! WOW.... I can't believe I didn't think of double thread before!!! Thanks! I guess you just start making them one way and "why break it if it's not broke" but sometimes there may be an easier way to do it... like double threads! LOL lOL

I like that method because I get it done in "one" so to speak but you have to remember that you change the size as well. This is a good thing to me but other mileage may vary :wlol

I absolutely love to make these. I've made some of the decorative ones, with more "holes" in the pattern, but since my fingers slide through the holes when washing dishes and it drives me batty, I save those for use as hotmats to set things on the table. For actual dishcloths, I like Sugar and Cream and Peaches and Cream and also the Handicrafter Cotton, and I've made a few with Cottontots that are very nice -- those stay nice and soft and would be good for use on your body or face.

I also made myself several large rectangles that I use under my dish drainer in place of the plastic/rubber mat that one normally would have there. I found those mats always seemed to collect water and get a build-up of mineral deposits and so on over time. I like having an absorbent crocheted towel or mat under there instead, as I can just toss it in the wash every few days and put another pretty coloured mat there in its place.

I've also just taught myself to knit, and found that plain old garter stitch made up in a leftover partial skein of Cottontots made a really nice cloth -- the texture was just right.

I have a couple skeins of the Handicrafter cotton right now in the Christmas colours, waiting to be made into cloths for stocking stuffers. My hubby always laughs at me when he sees me making yet another cloth, but he also likes to use them, and I get requests for them from family members, so...

Lene'

I also make discloths with Sugar and Cream, I love them and give them away to my friends for their kitchen use. I like that I can have colorful, beautiful squares or round dishcloths that I made. Have fun making your dishcloths, washcloths or potholders. Potholders are now on my to do list.

:manyheart

I have not used any brands except the peaches and cream and sugar and cream but I love both. I am currently making knitted dishcloths for my inlaws by request, in garter stitch. I am also experimenting with something larger. A hooded bath towel for a new baby, in mint green and also knitted using garter stitch.

I have made washcloths with sugar and cream and cottontots. The cottontots is very soft and makes a nice washcloth. The sugar and cream seems to soften up after awhile. Mine end up different sizes--I like to try different stitches, and I have some that I made using motifs from the 200 stitch patterns for baby blankets by Jan Eaton (they are not just for baby blankets!).

I haven't made dishcloths but I have made a couple dish towels. I like how they look hanging over the oven door handle.

In regards to size...never really measured them...depends on who I am making them for. For my bff's dd I tend to do 20-30 chains with a g or h hook and do as many rows. For adults I tend to shoot for 30-45 chains and = rows. For a dishcloth I would probably do 50 chains, but I never make dishcloths. I also like to knit them, but then the cast on stitch # is different. My husband absolutely loves the crocheted washclothes (his regular washclothes now sit in a neglected pile in the cupboard).

Archived