Quick! Baby Shower in less than a week--need quick gift ideas

I just found out this morning that the friend of a friend is hosting a baby shower for our friend next week. So, I have this week and weekend to come up with something quickly. I know she likes handmade things and she crochets herself but she doesn't do anything more than granny square afghans.

Does anyone have any ideas for her or the baby?

I made some washcloths out of Cotton Tots for a baby shower where I didn't have much time to make something. The mom loved them (she said a lot of washcloths she finds in the store just aren't that soft). I included some baby wash and lotion for her.

Edge some fleece with a beautiful border. It makes a very nice gift. Or an IOU for the crocheted baby whatever of her choice. Show her some patterns and let her pick out what she wants and the colors she would like. :hook

Baby booties (Bev's easy thumb botties - very easy)

Hat (Bev's EAsy Round Baby Hat - link to a very easy pattern you can whip up quick)

Washclothes

I edged a large dishcloth for a friend. One round. Used a soft baby yarn. For a burp cloth, maybe.

Marathon Baby Blanket - she said this took her 8 hours to make... opps this is granny squares... but maybe she would love one from you just like hers.

I can't find it, but there's another baby afghan, using 2 strands, done in about 3 1/2 hours. It's yellow with bobbles and was in the 2006 Crochet a day calendar...

What about a blanket made with a big hook and thick yarn like Baby Clouds? I don't have any patterns off the top of my head, but it should be easy to come up with your own stripe pattern, or use a pretty stitch.

If you find a nice doily pattern, you can make a great afghan with chunky yarn and a K hook...Try the Plate Doily. I've made quite a few of these and they only took about 4 hours--just sc and ch all the way through in one continuous spiral. Or, try a PK doily pattern with Caron SS or Bernat Super Value (I think they're both comparable in softness, IMO). Also, the Skipping Stones Afghan by Priscilla Hewitt is a quick one, as well. It's a double-stranded made with an N hook, and you don't have to make the largest size...I'd go to about 48" (4 ft.) in the color(s) of your choice. I'm making one right now for my dd for her 2nd b-day in Taupe and Light Rose, and it's very cute.

Booties are fast, and you can probably find some great patterns for bonnets/hats/caps on CPC. Good luck! Let us know what you choose to do.

The BICO from Crochet Me is super fast to make, too.

I'll second a round ripple made with Baby Clouds - I did one and it took about two evenings solid work to make.

Or, print out a pattern, buy some yarn, wrap it up and tell her you'll make it after the shower.

Or, print out a pattern, buy some yarn, wrap it up and tell her you'll make it after the shower.

I was thinking of something like that too.

You could start the pattern. Take it to the shower, if you can work on it there, show it to her (and how much time it takes, then she'll appreciate it) and then finish it and deliver it later.

Just thought of something else. At another baby shower i went to, someone gave crochet edgings to baby socks. They added beads to them, but you wouldn't have to do that.

Also you could get flanel or fabric and crochet around the edgings. Very quick to do.

Debbi

I'll 2nd the BICO with matching hat and booties in colors she likes if you know what they might be... I am going to a shower tonight with a purple BICO for one co-worker and a black with white speck for another and am planning a red and blue for the next for their college colors.

Baby booties (Bev's easy thumb botties - very easy)

Hat (Bev's EAsy Round Baby Hat - link to a very easy pattern you can whip up quick)

Washclothes

I edged a large dishcloth for a friend. One round. Used a soft baby yarn. For a burp cloth, maybe.

Marathon Baby Blanket - she said this took her 8 hours to make... opps this is granny squares... but maybe she would love one from you just like hers.

I can't find it, but there's another baby afghan, using 2 strands, done in about 3 1/2 hours. It's yellow with bobbles and was in the 2006 Crochet a day calendar...

its also on crochet pattern central

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

I've made a couple of these. They all turned out beautiful and didn't take too long to make. Its my go to baby blanket pattern when I need something quick!:)

its also on crochet pattern central

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

I've made a couple of these. They all turned out beautiful and didn't take too long to make. Its my go to baby blanket pattern when I need something quick!:)

Thank you!

I looked on the other crochet link site.

http://www.myhq.com/public/c/r/crochetpoet/

And couldn't see it. :devil

Debbi

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I'm going to use a few for my friend and for my SIL who's due in a few months.

For my friend, I'm doing a V-Stitch baby blanket, a teddy bear and if I have time, I'm going to do up some washcloths and a few other little things and put them all in a basket. DH is going to be gone all weekend so I'll have a bit of extra time to crochet.

Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas. I will probably use some of them very soon. I'll post pics of the items and basket when it's all done.

Archived