Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

In Portsmouth/Chesapeake,VA area: Roses in Churchland has Lion Suede & others (back near the rugs). Big Lots had some Paton's Be Mine--haven't checked downtown Suffolk store. Dollar Tree in Churchland had Lion Baby Soft plus alot of ribbon and fluff yarns. DT did have some Lion jamie a few weeks ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been checking my local Dollar Trees, no new yarn, one only has Bernat Disco and some other fluffy yarns that I already have. My best deals the last few days were TLC Essentials at Michaels on clearance for $1.50 each. Will keep checking the Dollar stores though, eventually they get different ones in.

LI Roe

• 2 weeks later...

My darling hubby spoils me tooooo much! We stopped by our Dollar tree today, I was hoping that *maybe* they might have some leftover Incredible.

In the bins, I found some lovely Patons Glittallic -- got the 20 skeins I could find. Then when we were checking out, the manager told us she'd just gotten some more yarn in if I wanted to take a look. She pulled out an entire big box full of 6-skein bags of Glittallic and Silverlash in several different colors, also an entire case of Bernat Matrix in several colors. I was trying to decide what to get & hubby asks her to count the bags, and then tells her we'd just take both boxes.

Ended up with over 200 skeins/balls total. He spoils me so bad - I end up feeling so guilty, it's not like we're well-off to spend this kind of money - but he just tells me to think of how much it would have cost if we'd spent normal retail on it....

I have several bags of the Glittallic in the prettiest lavender color - I wonder how it would work for a sweater or something like that?

ferretlady:

I'm happy for your good fortune, your husband is definitely generous and totally understanding!

Back in May I got some of the same types of yarn at a local Dollar Tree and I was thrilled too. I used some of that lovely "lavender" Glittallic as an edging on a shawl I made for my daughter and it was easy to work with, I actually liked very much how it felt sliding through my fingers, I hope to be able to use the rest in something really nice.:hook I think it would be great in a sweater, vest, shrug or shawl, would love to see what you make with it!

I also got one single skein of light blue Glittallic and 4 in a lovely pastel pink, also Silverlash in same and other 2 colors, it appears they've all been discontinued because they no longer appear at the Paton's website whereas back in May they were both still featured there so let's consider ourselves blessed! I can't wait to use them but haven't found a pattern or developed an idea to put them to good use (any suggestions would be appreciated!).

I got 4 skeins of B. Matrix in "Network Naturals" at another dollar store, when I crocheted a sample I thought it would look good in a vest. Last week I bought 5 of "Web Wines" to use in a purse but had nothing to pair it with so two days ago I went back to Walmart and bought 2 skeins of #10 Black thread to experiment using crocheting with the NN and 2 of #3 Warm Rose for the WW, I would've prefered #5 thread but Walmart only had those like 3 colors. With these last ones I began making the base of a purse but I needed to unravel but was too sleepy and left it for the next day but then I found a horrible tangled mess inside the bag so I had to frog the whole thing so I could pass the ends through the tangles and get rid of them faster. I'm not a fast crocheter as it is and working with those 2 yarns, which makes it easier than trying to use Matrix by itself, was going very slooow, then the tangles made me regret buying this yarn. But I'm not going to let it go to waste so I'll try again, maybe with a bigger hook because the fabric was looking pretty good.

My darling hubby spoils me tooooo much! We stopped by our Dollar tree today, I was hoping that *maybe* they might have some leftover Incredible.

In the bins, I found some lovely Patons Glittallic -- got the 20 skeins I could find. Then when we were checking out, the manager told us she'd just gotten some more yarn in if I wanted to take a look. She pulled out an entire big box full of 6-skein bags of Glittallic and Silverlash in several different colors, also an entire case of Bernat Matrix in several colors. I was trying to decide what to get & hubby asks her to count the bags, and then tells her we'd just take both boxes.

Ended up with over 200 skeins/balls total. He spoils me so bad - I end up feeling so guilty, it's not like we're well-off to spend this kind of money - but he just tells me to think of how much it would have cost if we'd spent normal retail on it....

I have several bags of the Glittallic in the prettiest lavender color - I wonder how it would work for a sweater or something like that?

It took all my self-discipline to resist grabbing some of the new yarn & starting *something* with it tonight! But I had several small projects in the works sitting there already, so I'm finishing them first - while looking at patterns & trying to get some ideas for the new yarn! That Glittallic is so soft & nice - I can't wait to find just the "perfect" project to make with it!

I'm currently finishing up several market bags made with Lion Brand Incredible - I thought I might try one of those with the Matrix as well. It is narrower than the Incredible so maybe I'll double it up with something else?

I'd love to see the shawl you did - is there a photo of it posted somewhere?

I stopped in Real Deals and there were a couple new yarns up on the shelves. One was Moda Dea Cheerio in a dark purplish-red. I didn't look at the color name and I should have. It was quite pretty.

The other was Red Heart Super Saver in Fiesta Jewel. This is worsted weight in mixed variegated heather colors. This is the third time I've seen this particular yarn in this store, so I am already well stocked with it.

Ooooh, lucky you!!! I love Cheerio! We don't have a Real Deals here - but luckily, every once in a great while, Hobby Lobby will have the Cheerio on sale for 99cents, so I'll try to grab a handful if I can. It's one of my favorite yarns.

I'd love to see the shawl you did - is there a photo of it posted somewhere?

I thought I'd had pictures taken of it but I didn't, my son's the one who owns the digital camera and I just asked him to take some pictures this weekend, then I'll have to open a Photobucket account or something because I do want to keep pictures of what I make, then I'll let you know when they're ready. :)

Unfortunately the Dollar Trees by me have hit a plateau. Either there is no yarn at all or the one that has yarn is a mess (yarn is all tangled up and not in full skeins, kinda like an animal has dragged it around). I'm hoping they clean up their act and get some more in but with these stores, it is usually a hit or miss situation. But when they do get it in, there can be some great buys.

LI Roe

LI, do you have a different Dollar Tree in your area you could try? We have two Dollar Trees here & they're as different as night & day. The one we like & go to is always kept neat as a pin, the yarn is super-tidy & not allowed to get into a mess. The manager there obviously takes pride in her store & it shows throughout the entire store. I've seen her going along & making sure things were put back in place that customers had knocked out of place & I've even seen her remove yarn from the bins that had started to unravel & make a mess, so that the bin would stay nice

Now, the *other* DT in our area is absolutely awful -- the whole store always has a rather unkempt feeling to it, merchandise scattered out of place, and the yarn there is almost always a tangled jumble. We never go to that store anymore & stick to the "good" one.

Hi Ferretlady,

Yes, there are three within a 3 to 4 mile radius from me and one by my moms in a neighboring county, about 12 miles from my house. I check them all, always on the lookout for more yarn (like I need more, LOL). Just lately, they haven't had any but that doesn't mean they won't get any in. I noticed the other day none of them had been carrying the saltine crackers I get for my mom, then all of a sudden three of the four stores I went to stocked them again. So I just have to be patient, (patient, what is that, LOL).

The Big Lots by me has had yarn but again, nothing lately. I just wait and then pounce on it when it is there.

LI Roe

I found 2 skeins of Patons Pooch Yarn at my Dollar Tree Store - I was hoping they would have more colors or at least 2 more skeins but that was it - 2.

Here is the description I found and pic to show you what the texture is - it is like thin yarn with bobbles or little pompoms on it. My color is not listed there - it is green, blue and yellow - a bright combo.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...questid=854337

What should I consider making with it???? Any ideas??? I knew it usually goes for about $6 - $7 a skein and figured for a dollar it was worth solving the mystery of what to make ;) by running it by you all....thanks!

I stopped in Real Deals for some birthday cards and wrap, and had to check the yarn, of course.

They had in some new big, fat chenille ~ The Lion Brand Thick & Quick in a seafoam green and in turquoise. The seafoam color is a beautiful, calming shade, but I already have a lot of it. The turquoise is pretty lively and I didn't ever see it before, so I did pick up some of it.

I was thinking the turquoise yarn seemed awfully bright, so I surprised myself when I realized I was wearing a T shirt almost the exact same shade as the yarn, and I love the T shirt! Well, it goes to show me ... duh.

• 5 weeks later...

I've stopped in Real Deals a couple more times since the last time I posted, but didn't see anything different.

Now I was there yesterday afternoon and there were 2 new yarns.

This store has had a batch of Red Heart Macaroon in Salt and Pepper for months. It's black and white with long strings hanging off the main yarn. It has that look like you made it into a tote bag then left it unattended with someone's cats that used it as a scratching post.

I really think I should be a yarn reviewer.

Anyway, that's the first thing I thought when I saw this Macaroon. Apparently, everyone else thought that or perhaps worse, because no one has bought it. So there it is. I thought maybe I should take pity on it, buy a skein, and crochet some macaroon cookies. I haven't though.

So now more Macaroon has arrived. Who knew it came in more colors? The new ones are Aquarius, a turquoise with turquoise strings and ~ Fuchsia, actually a more medium pink with white strings.

I looked at them, said "Uh-huh, uh-huh" and couldn't imagine what to make them into. They really look like those marshmallow snowball cocoanut cake things. Really. But they are very soft and appealing if you don't look at them. Very nice and soft.

• 1 month later...

its true its true!!!!

i just finished the day/night lion brand cape in incredible -- you know the $7 a ball ribbon yarn -- well our local dollar tree had over 100 balls of incredible for $1 each! i bought 45 balls--the checkout lady thought i was nuts!!

my son says i look like a medival wizard--i made the cape and hood in the varigated blues and black. i love it love it love it.

keep an eye out--the stock keeps changing. this week it is fun fur on sale

can anyine say "fuzzy pillows?!?"

happy shopping!!!

karen

ooooohhh, i plan lots if stuff for my incredible. want to make the choo choo tank top out of the autumn leaves incredible (have to figure out how to mak it big lady size), and i haverainbow colors i want to make another night to day cape. my daughter wants a shawl and i will make alot of scaves for gifts

whew!!! we'll see what i have left when i get this much done!!

\karen

ok, well, it looks like i will be visiting our dollar stores here in amarillo, tx.

i sure never thought of looking there either. i go in to get certain things and hardly

ever look around everywhere. will now. i have gotton my yarn mostly from HL (which i just went a few days ago and found a wonderful bulky yarn (yarn bee "luscious") that they had clearenced down to 59 cents (yes, i said 59 cents), reg price $5.88. they have quite a wonderful selection of clearnced yarn from 23 cents to 1.99 (i definitly stocked up). none of the yarn was less than $5 (reg price)

i did have the same question at first - what am i going to do with all of it? but like my husband keeps telling me "buy as much as you want - you will always figure out what to make". (he of course, loves all my projects).

when i get better aquainted with this site and posting my pictures and patterns - i will start showing!

love what i have seen so far!!

In Christ,

Debbie

Yikes! Never turn down money for yarn!

I stopped in Real Deals and I am stumped. They continuously carry this boucle' that is orange, purple, green and I don't know, something. I think it's hideous, but it sells. They fill up the shelves again and it sells again. The thing is I never, ever see a scarf, hat, sweater, purse or anything made with this yarn. Not an afghan, placemat, or legwarmer. What are people doing with it?

In the meantime, they did have something new in. Threads. 2 of them were double strands of #10 thread wound together, which it said = #3 thread. This was in oranges and in greens. Both were very bright.

The others were the thicker, heavier crochet cotton (like kitchen cotton) but none were in solid colors. All of them were in variegated colors that changed every 1/2" or so. There were quite a few different color combinations. None of them were Christmas colors.

Archived