Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

Well, I dropped in at my favorite $ store and there's nothing new right now. They did recently receive more of some yarns I already have, plus there's still lots of novelty yarns.

I have started working with some of the chenille I bought, and I love it! It's taking me a bit to get used to it because it doesn't stretch at all. It's kind of like working with cotton except the stitches aren't as precise.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was bummed yesterday. All my dollar trees have have a ton of Jamie in white, well now they have none and I wanted some for a christening gown. I know it's a discountinued item so the chance of them getting more in is slim!! Knew I should have bought it when I first saw it....

I've been to 3 dollar trees in my area and all they have had was fun fur and very little lion brand boucle...

Yesterday I went to a big one about 45 mins away and they only had the fun fur i was so bummed:(

V-Hooked ~ I was totally shocked at first to find out that some dollar stores carry "normal" yarn. It's not like having a local yarn store, where I can walk in and just choose everything I want on the spot, but the savings is so-o-o-o-o worth it. All skeins are $1 each.

I have a nice medium purple chunky I bought there oh, maybe a year ago. Now they recently had the same type of yarn in a beautiful yellow. I bought some of that. I know this yarn comes in a number of colors, so I just wait and watch.

Baby yarns came in, in numerous different colors, from Lion Brand at first, and recently these huge skeins from Red Heart. I have a great collection of these now.

The chenille yarn is to die for. I have a lot, LOT of it in red, black, dark purple, and Paris Print. When I recently started working on a small bag to test it (my version of swatching sort of), I love it, love it, love it.

And the worsted weight I've bought there ~ there's no point in naming it all. It's all brand name and in perfect condition.

If someone wants to put all this in a $ store, I'm glad and very thankful to reap the benefits. Until now, I've always paid full price, unless Walmart had a sale. I'm very appreciative of the low prices.

OK ladies,

These are pics of 3 purses I made with Moda Dea Cache yarn bought from a $1.05 store. It shows 2 different colors. The large bag is 2 different colors, and the small bags are 1 color each. I wish that I had a pic of the bag I made with the pink color, it was prettier. Ignore the blue bag, was made of regular wal-mart prices caron ss. Pics are clickable

th_100_3849.jpg

th_100_3846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the local $ store has plenty, but nothing new. The worsted weights and chunkies I already have, and I really don't want the others. There's nothing specific for Christmas. I have to go back over that way on Monday, so I'll check again.

Thanks for the dollar store update.

Maxi Dollar is near me (I posted it before).

They often have Moda Dea and Red Heart yarns.I check in there from time to time- sometimes they seem to keep getting more of the same old thing.

I don;t have time to check other dollar stores except on a random basis.

Well, I didn't make it to the dollar store on Monday, but I did go Wednesday, and there's nothing new.

I did find though, at Walmart, Red Heart Holiday yarn ~ 3.5 oz skeins for $1.97. We're probably not going to find a better buy on that. The Holiday yarn at the Walmart here is not back with the regular yarn or on display at the ends of the aisles. I only found it because I nearly walked in it at the entrance to the craft section, down on the floor. If you are looking for some, you may need to check all over your craft department.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new, nothing new. I've been to my favorite $ store twice since I last posted and all the baby, worsted weight, Jiffy and chunky yarns are gone. The same novelty yarns are still there and some really icky thread cones.

This seems to be the way it goes ~ feast or famine. Oh well, there will be more.

I was in a couple of my Dollar Tree stores and none of them had yarn right now. Think they are concentrating on Christmas. Hopefully, after the holidays, they will stock up on some nice yarn.

LI Roe

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are so lucky to find yarn in these places... I have a real hard time finding it so cheap, anywhere! Our dollar stores are small, cluttered and don't stock any yarn. There may be some small specialty shops that have it, but they are out of the way, tucked way back in some tiny shopping center I never go to. Tyler is growing every day, but they don't cater to the crafters much. I looked in both Big Lots before Christmas... the few skeins they had were awful colors and I would never use them.

I do so wish we had more choice. Wal Mart carries about as much yarn as Michael's does here... but they run out and don't restock. Or it's discontinued.

I did just check my local $ store where I usually find yarn but they are really, really low on all the yarns. There is still nothing new either. I'm not worried ~ I've bought a mountain of yarn there this past year and I'm very grateful to have been able to do so. There will always be more yarn, so I just wait and watch. In the meantime, I have a number of projects going out of my stash.

OMG! Eeeeeeeee! See! As soon as I stopped worrying about it, my $ store has new yarn! My sister and I were out running errands a few hours ago, and I just had that feel I should stop in there. I am so glad I did.

They had TLC Essentials 6 oz worsted weight acrylic skeins ~ in Cherry Red and in Light Plum. I got 20 of each.

Then, I've never seen this before ~ Mainstays 7 oz worsted weight acrylic skeins in True Navy. I know these are supposed to be sold at Walmart, but they've never been at this Walmart. They are in bags of 3 that have never been opened. I got 4 bags.

And, Red Heart Grande' 6 oz super bulky acrylic skeins in Navy. This stuff is very soft! It was nearly sold out already. I bought the remaining 13 skeins.

I am so ecstatic I can hardly contain myself tonight! 2 of these yarns will go with projects I am working on now and 2 for ones I have planned.

I have Christmas gift yarn too, so I am set for the Winter. It was so-o-o-o cold out there tonight. It must be in the teens or lower. It's fridged. I'm going to keep crocheting that's for sure!

Dang! I just tried to talk my hubby (who conveniently took today off) into going to Cortland, but he wouldn't go. I guess I'll just have to check my Real Deals in Norwich and see if they got any new yarn in. Thanks for the heads up!

:clap I'm happy to report my Real Deals has the TLC, the Mainstays, and the Red Heart Grande. They also had some Red Heart Baby and Red Heart Plush. I bought was I could, but hubby was with me, so I had to behave. Now I have to figure out how to sneak back and get some more for my stash. :devil

Oh Dawn ~ You got the same yarn in at your store! Yippee! I was shocked, just shocked, because this store was down to nothing. Then Voila!

I was like a kid in a candy store too. There was so much I did like this time, and I wasn't going to let it get away. This is how you build a stash. At a $1 a skein, come on hubbies. Give it up. This is good yarn I would pay 2, 3 and 4 times the price for at other stores. Sometimes more.

I forgot ~ this store had the Red Heart Baby and Plush too. Because there was so much else I liked, I passed them up. I am sitting here now in the middle of so many skeins, it's comical. I don't ever put yarn away immediately because I like to look at it and keep thinking up new things I can make and I want to reread the spec's on the labels.

Then I have to compare the new yarns with the ones I already have, to see what goes with what ~ what goes with my variegateds, what will look good together in a tweeded look, what about stripes, what fits in my rainbow work?

I'm already relegating some of this new yarn to projects: The red is perfect for rainbows. The light plum goes with one of my Spring variegateds. The navy for a cat bed. The navy Grande' maybe a rug.

This is exactly why you haunt your dollar stores!

Joyce

Hey guys! I sounds like you made out like bandits!!!

I wish we had a Real Deals dollar store near us - all we have is a Dollar Tree and Ocean State Job Lot - they get yarn but the OSJL is always more than a dollar - only fun fur is marked to a dollar.

And Dawn there is a "Norwich" named town in CT too!

Oh Shuttlebuggy ~ I am still so excited about this huge batch of yarn! The other $ stores around here don't carry yarn, or have only ribbon and occasionally novelty yarns. Real Deals is the only one that ever has "normal" yarn, but it's anybody's guess what they might get in, and when. The employees say they are not informed about what they will receive.

I was just thinking about making some bright red slipper socks with some of the TLC. I'm sitting here right now in red, plaid, flannel pj bottoms and a red insulated top. Some red slipper socks would be great with them.

I'm just learning how to make socks right now because my sister kept saying she wanted to learn how to knit socks. I told her to put her needles where her mouth was and get ready for a "Sock Off." I told her to go ahead and knit a pair, and I would crochet a pair, and we'll see who is done first. Ha, ha, ha! There's a reason I don't knit! Drop a stitch, pick up a stitch, rip out, count, count, count. I hate it.

I'm doing toe up socks in worsted weight acrylic, so they'll be like boot socks, or slipper socks. I'm doing both at the same time so they'll come out the same ~ 2 or 3 rounds on one, then the same on the other. I'm on round 22 and they fit great so far.

She's doing cuff down socks in worsted weight wool-ease and is working one sock. She is still on the cuff. I'm horrible ~ I keep teasing her by saying "There's a reason I don't knit. I'm going to win. I'll have 2 pairs done by the time you finish those!"

I am probably the world's slowest knitter. I don't think I could knit a sweater between now and the end of eternity. I'm not that way with crochet. Go figure.

I am so thankful for this bounty of yarn. When I think of all the years and years of having to scrounge together a little bit of money to get some yarn, and now when my budget isn't that excrutiatingly tight, here it is at $1 a skein. It amazes me!

Archived