Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

Ladies and Gentlemen ~ I am REALLY serious here ~ haunt your dollar stores for yarn. I never thought I'd be saying such a thing, but almost every bit of my considerable stash has been bought for $1 a skein.

Right now, Real Deals, my favorite dollar store, has been carrying lots of Moda Dea in numerous colors.

I just bought every skein they had of Red Heart Soft Baby in Pastel Fruits. This is a baby sport weight in 6 oz skeins (not 1 3/4 oz). I started working with it and it's wonderful. I think I bought about 25 skeins and I'm glad I did.

The dollar stores aren't yarn stores, so they get what they get, but keep checking back with them. My store will get in some icky stuff for a while, then some really nice ones show up again.

I was able to get 2 types of Lion Brand Incredible Ribbon yarn. One is rainbow colors and the other is various shades of blue. They are beautiful. If they hadn't been $1 a ball, I'd never have even looked at them because the purchase would have been too much of a luxury.

I've bought worsted weight acrylics, rug yarn, chenille, Jiffy bulky weight, Thick & Quick super bulky weight, baby yarns ~ all in Lion Brand and Red Heart. I even went for some balls of Aunt Lydia's Denim in red. Normally I'm not good with thread, but I thought I could use 2 or 3 strands of Aunt Lydia's and maybe we'd get along.

The Dollar Tree sometimes has ribbon yarns and threads. I asked the manager about regular yarns. Nope, never get them in. :no

Of course, the dollar stores don't have hand dyed wools and such, but who would expect them to? With what I have bought there, I've been able to get 3 - 4 - 5 times the yarn I would have otherwise! It's such a great feel!

If I can buy a skein for $1 in Real Deals, and the same item is in Walmart for $2.49. H-m-m-m. And the same item is on the Net for $2.99 plus shipping, am I going to sit here and say "Well, I can't get it at the dollar store because that's too low class a place to shop."?

:yay I just wanted to share with all of you that I am finding lots of great yarn at dollar stores. You probably can too. After the prices I've paid all my life, it's nice to get a break. Now you know how I picked my user name for Crochetville.

Real Deal :hook

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:clap :clap Thank u for the info...you are soooooo right, I found Lion Boucle for 1.00 each with fall colors and made a openweave scarf/shawl (its posted)....thank u again I didnt know they get new stuff in, so I am heading back today!!!:clap :clap

I have looked down here (near Myrtle Beach, SC) and I have not found any yet either. Now, I have not been to every Dollar-type store (:rofl ), but when I have asked, my response is a "no" followed by a puzzled "Why would we sell yarn?" look. I'm not sure why some of us are being deprived (:cry), but I'm happy for those of you guys who are finding these great deals (:hook)!

I even sent a "Why?" e-mail to Dollar Tree corporate, but I never received a rely. :think

You're right. There are a few Dollar Tree stores by me and also by where my mom lives in a neighboring county and I have found lots of Lion Brand and Bernat and Patons yarn for just a dollar.

As a retired widow, I am always looking for the best buys. My motto is to get the most I can for the least amount of money and the dollar and discount stores help quite a bit.

I have seen the same yarn down the road at AC Moore for full price. When I told the girl at AC Moore, she said most likely the yarns may be discontinued and that is why they are selling them at the dollar stores. Sometimes I have seen the same yarn on sale there but for much more than a dollar.

And if you see something you like and have the money, grab it while you can. It may not be there the next time.

Happy shopping!!!!

LI Roe

OOOOH, I have a Real Deals too and it's my favorite place to buy yarn. I also got the Soft Baby a while ago and I just love, love, love that yarn! I'll have to go look today to see if they have anymore now.

The Dollar Tree stores here in central New York state have had yarn for quite sometime. I have been buying the fun fur for my hedgehogs (see them in the knitting section). Last time I was in the stores they had a bunch of the lion boucle yarns in solids and multi colored...

I found a ton of fun fur there. 5 different colors. And some ribbon yarn. We have a Dollar Tree and Family Dollar (although I haven't seen any in that one). They had an aisle shelf devoted to the yarn. I haven't looked lately but need to go to a grocery store near it so I am definately stopping off tonight. Last year I found Lion Boucle and found 2 skines makes a great scarf for a gift (and a great price too).

Debbi

Okay, I may just die. Mostly what I see is Fun Fur and Fancy Fur (no offense) but I'm sick of fur! Sure, I'm a yarnaholic! I still buy some anyway. LOL! But, what am I supposed to do with it?

Once I found like 2 skeins of boucle. This was to die for. I did find some more at Joann's for 97 cents. I'm on the hunt for more boucle! I was mad! Smiley's had a sale that just ended for boucle 99 cents each. But, I really didn't want the minimum $40 of it.

I also found some (I think) LB baby yarn in mint green (but I havent seen it since).

Help me, I'm drowning in yarn overload.

Fun fur makes great scarfs or boarders. I did a great colorful scraf last year for me and I knew my friend would want one so I started one for her anyway and gave it to her as a gift.

I did some Pygmy puffs too (free pattern here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59705 ) with the fun fur I got from the dollar store. That's why I was so glad they had it!

Debbi

When I first saw the dollar store yarn, it was pretty yukky. Some gray stuff that I could tell would split, a mustard yellow that was putrifying and white. That was it for months. They would just cut the tops off the boxes and leave them on the floor. Half the time I couldn't find the yarn because the boxes were on the floor and other stuff was piled on top of them.

Also some yarn would be up front and some was in the back. My sister pointed out to one of the workers that if the yarn was in one spot, we could see it better and they would have more sales. So the yarn was all put in one corner in the back ~ it worked so well, they've now put up shelves!

When this same store put out Jiffy in dark blue and in teal, my sister and I couldn't believe our eyes. We thought it must be a mistake. We even asked if they were sure this was only $1. There it was, boxes of it, at $1 a skein! Now what does that tell you about the profit being made on yarn?

So I go in every couple weeks and see what's new. There's a lot on the shelves that isn't moving because apparently nobody wants it, even at $1 a skein. Most of them are ladder, eyelash, etc. in wild colors. I can't do anything with a red/purple/orange/green combo.

I bought a lot of Baby Jamie there this year. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's being discontinued. When I found the purple, then the red chenille, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Why was it there? Off-season colors.

Oh the wonderful shawls it will make!

I would check every dollar store you can find. Ask if they have yarn or usually get any in. If not, check with the next store. And when you do find yarn in one of them, ABSOLUTELY keep going back, because they do get new inventory regularly.

Real Deal

:cheerJust got back from the Dollar Tree...they just put out Bernat yarn all types....and more Lion Boucle fall colors, (that sells for 4.89 and up at michaels)....YEAH...you were right, I asked the store people and they get shipments each week with different kinds,not all stores get the same yarn so you have to search if you can... ..good luck to all on your hunt, thats part of the fun yes???? :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Dollar stores in the Cleveland, OH area have yarn also. Usually just fun fur and some novelty stuff. I keep checking thou - hoping for some good yarn.

I use some fun fur in the middle of a round ripple ghan I am making and I think it is cute. Hold it with another color in the ghan and it goes good. Otherwise, I make simple scarves with it. Not my favorite, but have it and need to use it.

I think Saturday calls for a trip to the yarn - I mean Dollar store.

And don't forget Big Lots too! We have two Dollar Trees near us -- one had their yarns neatly sorted in an area with some other craft supplies --- the other store had some in one bin in the middle of all sorts of other merchandise - and then two aisles over, there was another bin with some other types. so you just have to look around - they might not be in a very 'sensible' place.

OH, I wish I could find some of the Lion Boucle!!! But I've gotten tons of fun fur & fancy fur, Jamie baby, Incredible ribbon yarn, and verious Patons at our Dollar Trees.

Our Dollar General definately does not have any - I carefully scoured every aisle with no luck. But Big Lots has $1 yarns most of the time - our store hasn't gotten any new ones yet, but I keep watching!

You are SOOOO right, I got 4 skeins of red heart symphony at the dollar store...you're talking like $3.99 a skein at Michaels...IF they have it!!!!

I wish I had gotten to the store earlier, because I would have definitely got more! It varies from store to store though...this particular store seems to get a very nice suppy...so I have started frequenting it.

Of course the downside is that I'm just buying yarn because its a deal...now I have alot of yarn with no projects in mind.:think

WooHoo! I went to a store called Roses today. It has been around for a long time, and I'm suprised it still exists. Anyway, they had a huge bin of Lion Brand (LB) Boucle!! There were only three colors, but boy, I hit the motherload! Only $1 each. There was also some LB Suede in three colors. Not sure what to do with that, but I got it anyway!

Makes me wonder if LB is going under or something, pretty much every time I see yarn for $1 it's LB. I probably got about $100 worth of boucle for $20!! I'm dying over here.

Tomorrow I'm off to check the Dollar Tree. There's one big DT near me, and hopefully they have something good. My DT's don't seem to get anything but fur and ribbon.

The Dollar Tree in my part of Maine often has yarn in stock. I bought about 20 skeins of LB Baby Soft in a spring green color (although some of the lables listed the color as black). The mistakes in the label may be why they are on sale here. My Dollar Tree also had lots of fun and fancy fur plus quite a bit of ribbon yarn. I only bought the baby soft. I check on a regular basis and they haven't had as much as they did the one time I tried to buy all the green baby soft skeins :lol

A thread after my own heart!

I'm on a serious budget right now, so any yarn I get needs to be cheap...er inexpensive! I haunt my Dollar Tree (nothing yet), Big Lots(varies, but I got some FunFur for my girls) and Ocean State Job Lots (WOW lots of Lion yarns, all kinds, mostly fall colors, $2 bucks each) and Ocean State is primarily in New England, but they keep popping up so it could be elsewhere eventually.

I'm with all of you on the bigger yarn places; bit expensive, and unless you hit a sale or have a coupon, the wools are out of reach. I did notice that WalMarts here in Massachusetts appear to be getting rid of their yarn areas. I live near the New Hampshire border, and the store there hasn't touched that area. I'm hoping this doesn't mean elimination, just re-organization!

Anne

OK ~ Now you see why I am so insistent you check the dollar stores! I have probabably spent, I'll guess $200 this past year, maybe a little less. That same yarn, SAME YARN would have been, at Walmart, in the vicinity of $800. Think that one over.

Real Deal

Just got 7 skeins of "prestige" and 3 balls of "incredible" for a total of $10 at Big Lots and several skeins at the Tuesday Morning sale. Then Walmart had some Softee Chunky for $1.67 and some RH holiday for $1.97.

OK..IT'S OFFICIAL....KAMIKAZEMOMMY NOW HAS A "STASH"!!!!:yay :yay :yay

Archived