Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

I had picked up some Caron Pizazz Deep Woods ribbon yarn at Real Deals on Jan 25th to use to make a bag for my sister as a birthday gift. Last night I decided to swatch it a bit and was it ever nice. I don't mean just nice, I mean gorgeous nice.

The label stated to use an M hook with 2 strands, and since I intended to use 1 strand of ribbon and 1 strand of dark green ww, I figured I'd try it. Once I got it going, and got used to how wide this ribbon is, hence the big hook, I noticed how really attractive this swatch was starting to look.

If I make this into a bag for my sister (she's thinking totebag) I will be swamped with people wanting me to make them one. I just know it. You know how you just know it sometimes? Uh-huh.

So I asked her if she'd go back and pick up more for me, because she was out running errands. OK. So she came back with, how do I say this, um ... OK fine, 39 more. But there's only 28 yards on a ball, and this is, I'm really not joking, gorgeous. I've never liked the ribbon yarns much in the past, but this one is a keeper.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Our local Real Deals got in more Jiffy in the teal / dark blue mix. This is actually very nice, but I have a lot of it now, so I'm passing it up.

I know this is hard to believe, but instead of buying more yarn, I started cleaning out the big closet where much of my yarn lives. I'm not getting RID of it, no, no, no! I'm cleaning, rebagging in clear bags, and reorganizing the way it is all put back in. There's been a lot of wasted space I intend to use. And now I'll have a better visual on things.

I had that feel I should get over to the dollar store, so my sister and I went to our favorite Real Deals last night, and they've got a new shipment in.

For those who want the very mohair look but it's really not mohair, there were big substantial skeins of I don't know what (I should have paid closer attention) in a butterscotch type color. I wasn't getting any, so I didn't read the label. But they weren't the little squinchy skeins.

Also new was:

White baby yarn with the sparkle in it.

White baby yarn with various bright colors interspersed throughout it.

A teal, dark blue, black, gray, and purple mix in Jiffy.

Lion brand Chunky USA in Lavender. I bought some of this. I already have some in what I thought was purple. I'll get it out ~ If they're different great, and if they're the same I'll have enough to make a blanket! I have some very pretty yellow in the same chunky.

Red Heart Plush in Light Teal. This is GORGEOUS. It's worsted weight in 6 oz skeins. I bought a lot. After dinner at my sister's, I started swatching the plush immediately because I've never worked with it before. I love it! Almost as much as I love chenille. OMG, at $1 a skein, I can hardly believe it. This is going to be personal yarn, and made into something wearable because it's so soft.

Red Heart Plush in Light Teal. This is GORGEOUS. It's worsted weight in 6 oz skeins. I bought a lot. After dinner at my sister's, I started swatching the plush immediately because I've never worked with it before. I love it! Almost as much as I love chenille. OMG, at $1 a skein, I can hardly believe it. This is going to be personal yarn, and made into something wearable because it's so soft.

I have that! I'm using it with Bernat's 'Soft Boucle' for a belted cardigan. In the 'Carnival' colorway. The teal is a perfect foil! The pieces come out so soft and fluffy, hehe.

It's nice to hear from someone who has worked with this plush! This stuff is so nice! Where have I been?

The $ store had some bright pink/red not long ago, but I didn't care for it. When I saw this aqua color (it says light teal) it just stopped me. It's so classy looking and soft. The problem with very soft though, is how will it work up? That's why I wanted to swatch it right away.

I usually do my swatches like this: Ch a dozen sts. Sc for 3 or 4 rows. Change to hdc and do that for 3 or 4 rows. Change to dc and do that for 3 or 4 rows. Now do a shell st across the top and down one side. I like to do a shell that is * 5 dc in one st, sk 2 sts, sc in one st, sk 2 sts. Repeat from * across.

I really love the plush in sc and in the shell. The hdc was OK. I didn't care for the dc as much, but I would use it if I really had to. Overall, I know I'll adore using this yarn no matter what I make with it. And the color is superb.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa we don;t have that store here, thats a awesome deal on it i love that yarn is very nice especially love the teal color:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:huglucky duck

I had that feel I should get over to the dollar store, so my sister and I went to our favorite Real Deals last night, and they've got a new shipment in.

For those who want the very mohair look but it's really not mohair, there were big substantial skeins of I don't know what (I should have paid closer attention) in a butterscotch type color. I wasn't getting any, so I didn't read the label. But they weren't the little squinchy skeins.

Also new was:

White baby yarn with the sparkle in it.

White baby yarn with various bright colors interspersed throughout it.

A teal, dark blue, black, gray, and purple mix in Jiffy.

Lion brand Chunky USA in Lavender. I bought some of this. I already have some in what I thought was purple. I'll get it out ~ If they're different great, and if they're the same I'll have enough to make a blanket! I have some very pretty yellow in the same chunky.

I am very thankful to have this $ store nearby because we have no JoAnn's, no Michaels, no Hobby Lobby and no A.C. Moore's.

Three out of the four Dollar Trees that I have been to (haven't gotten to the last one yet) still have nothing new. Though one had a small, new shipment of Incredible and Fun Fur but that was about a small shelf worth. Big Lots had RedHeart Kooky in three colors, and then some baby teri in Bernat and Patons Brillant (think it was that) and some other soft terry type yarn but I passed on that. Hoping they get more worsted or plus in. This one gets a shipment Tuesdays and Thursdays.

LI Roe

Just returned with Lion Fun Fur.

My daughter loves anything blue and soft. She had me put some on a cap for her last month. She likes stuffed animals; I may try using some on the mane of a unicorn for her.

On a previous trip to that store I got the Incredible just to try it ( hey, only a dollar per unit, right?) I tried the Far Point Topper in Amazing Lace by Doris Chan. It was fun because it is so different.

They still had that Lion yarn with the fur and the color knobs. I put it in a scrap afghan last fall. It added interest and texture, but it isn't something I'd use very much.

It's nice to hear from someone who has worked with this plush! This stuff is so nice!

I made a simple shawl once with it. I loved the softness and the color (I used a kind of raspberry/maroon color) but in the process of making it discovered the yarn itself is kind of weak, easily broken. I would not use it for anything that would get a lot of hard wear or tugging, YMMV. Other than that it's yummy! What are you making with your pretty teal?

the big lots here hasn't had any yarn in the last two weeks, and the only thing I found at the dollar store was fun fur and I have plenty of that. There is a real deals in Lexington, I may have to check it out next time I am there.

I have 3 skeins of of rh plush in navy, but didn't know how it would work or or even what to do with it. Maybe I will try to find a use for it when I finish the ghan I am working on.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked my $ store on Saturday night (the 15th) just before closing, and there was a great big empty space on the yarn shelves. I could see new merchandise was being put out, so I asked if they'd gotten any new yarn in this shipment. The woman told me they wouldn't know until they opened all the pallets.

On my way out, the young woman at the register stopped me to have a chat for a couple minutes. She knows I buy a lot of yarn there and asked if I'd bring in some of my crochet work to show them. She said she's interested in seeing what I do with all that yarn!

Wow Real Deal:

Thats great that you can now go and take some of your crocheted things over to the lady maybe you get some sales..

I love to sell some of my works and what i do is carry some cards with my info on it incase some one sees me crocheting and ask i give them my card in case they ever need something...

Even if you donlt sell your hand made goods its a good thing you got some one that is interested in seeing what you make...

I checked my $ store on Saturday night (the 15th) just before closing, and there was a great big empty space on the yarn shelves. I could see new merchandise was being put out, so I asked if they'd gotten any new yarn in this shipment. The woman told me they wouldn't know until they opened all the pallets.

On my way out, the young woman at the register stopped me to have a chat for a couple minutes. She knows I buy a lot of yarn there and asked if I'd bring in some of my crochet work to show them. She said she's interested in seeing what I do with all that yarn!

I did stop back at the $ store. They didn't have any new yarn in the current shipment. I took a couple projects to show the women and said "See, I really do make things with all the yarn I buy here!" They don't crochet so they thought these were pretty nice.

I showed them a large tote I just finished, made with double strands of Jiffy in fuchsia. I edged the top with white, and made a big floppy flower for the front with the fuchsia and the white.

I also showed them a shawl I am still making in rows of 5 dc shells, using all Red Heart yarn in dark plum, fiesta glade, teal and hunter green. It was nice to show them an item that's coming out very pretty from ordinary yarn.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister stopped in twice at Real Deals since the last time I checked there. She checked yesterday. No new yarn still. Actually, no yarn shipments at all in over a month. Bummer.

There has been absolutely no new yarn at any of the Dollar Trees that I have been to lately. And nothing really good either at Big Lots.

Maybe soon.

LI Roe

Well, the stores made a liar out of me, LOL. Stopped at a couple of Dollar Trees and also Big Lots on my way home from my moms house today and they both got shipments but nothing that I didn't already have or really wanted. Mostly Bernat Disco, Matrix, different types of Patons, Glitter something or other and Lion Brand Boucle. I actually passed on all of them, oh no, take my temperature.

A few years ago Big Lots had tons of RedHeart Soft in some really nice colors and I bought out what they had. Never got it again.

LI Roe

I went by our Real Deals in Norwich yesterday and Nothing either actually lots of the shelves are empty just waiting arrival of yarn...

Maybe next time I go there might be some.

Archived