Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

I'm a bit jealous. There are not Real Deals in Texas-at least not my part of Texas. I'm definately going to check out Dollar Tree, Everythings a Dollar and Dollar General, though! Thanks for the tip. lashayvz

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WalMarts in my area of Texas seem to be slimming down their yarn supplies, too. It is so frustrating. I live in a small town, so Wal-Mart is it. If I want a bigger selection I have to make a trip to Lubbock, which is about 45 minutes away. Not undoable-but expensive what with gas prices and being on a budget! lashayvz

Just got 7 skeins of "prestige" and 3 balls of "incredible" for a total of $10 at Big Lots and several skeins at the Tuesday Morning sale. Then Walmart had some Softee Chunky for $1.67 and some RH holiday for $1.97.

OK..IT'S OFFICIAL....KAMIKAZEMOMMY NOW HAS A "STASH"!!!!:yay :yay :yay

:clap:yay:clap:yay:clap

A word of caution: when yarn is left alone together for too long, it starts to multiply :yes

Your stash will continue to grow now! Have fun :D

I was so happy to read this posts and all the replies!!! I am a Dollar Tree and Ocean State Job Lot gal - I check them weekly. I don't know if you saw my other post but I found Moonlight Mohair in lots of colors at OSJL for just $2 - this same exact yarn by Lion is at our Michael's and JoAnn's for $8.99 a ball!!! I really was happy as the Potato Chip Pattern Scarf I wanted to make called for that yarn and it turned out great!

I did find the Baby Jamie yarn too at Dollar Tree - but our Dollar Trees like to put out lots of fur and ribbon -so you have to check often to get the few skeins of regular yarn they stock.

I wish we had a better Dollar Store -but for now even spending 2 dollars at Ocean State for great yarn is a good thing right????;)

Happy hunting ladies!

Well Dawn The Real Deals $1.00 store in Norwich Rocks... I love it and every time i go there i come home broke...

We are moving to Sherburne and you know I will be at Real Deals lots hunting down the yarns... I will have to pay more attention next time i go to check out the Soft Baby Yarn cause I will want to stack on that kind I want to start to make baby sets to sell once I'm in my new 1980's victorian home in Sherburne...

Ladies the dollar trees also rock with all them lovely yarns I use the fun fur for my tunisian stitch graph ghans.. It gives them a lovely soft touch as a trim..

Yeah ~ Shuttlebuggy GO! $2 for mohair is great!

When I figured I got about $800 worth of yarn this past year for $200, that was by buying at the dollar stores and comparing to what I would have spent at a place like Walmart. That's not even taking into account the prices at actual yarn shops!

As long as it's good yarn, I say go for the bargains.

Real Deal

Wish I could find just some of the yarn ya'll are finding, but aside from some Pebbles yarns and a yucky brown eyelash, that's all right now. However, if you should find some nice yarns, Dollar Tree used to have a place on their website about how you could order items they had in stock in boxes of 12 or so, if you had the upc# and I think they'd even ship to the store for pickup!

Yes Lilly, I love that store too. I'm in there usually every other week or so. I even found some Lustersheen in there once and some RHSS. I occasionally have to intentionally avoid that store. I was in there this morning and got a couple of skeins of Moda Dea Cheerio and I made a little earflap hat out of it this afternoon. I have to say it's awfully cute.

BTW, let me know when you get settled and we can meet for some coffee or chinese. :)

Our Dollar General doesn't carry yarn ever but I did get all of the wool that our Tuesday Morning had. I really had to dig through a lot of junk yarn to find all of the wool balls but I got em. Now what to make out of the tannish pumpkin colour ones?

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

:clap OK ~ Another Dollar Store Haul! TLC Cotton Plus in 3.5 oz ww skeins. I don't want to get up and go count them. Maybe 15, in gold.

Also, Luster Sheen in 4 oz sport weight skeins. 20 in tan, 6 in turquoise, and 6 in coral. If they'd had more turquoise, I'd have bought a lot because it's really pretty. :cheer All at $1 a skein!!!

Real Deal :hook

I don't remember ever seeing any yarn of any type in any of our dollar stores. We have Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree.

I've never seen any here, either. :no

Another Dollar Store update!!!! Gosh this type of "hunting" is fun eh???

Well I survived my first flight! I actually got the courage to look out the window after way up in the air...it was so pretty and looked like a topographical map - or a patchwork quilt - especially crossing over PA.

So yesterday we had time and went out to dinner with dd and after had time to shop and there was a Dollar Tree we checked out but just fun fur and ribbon yarn there. We did not have time for the other Dollar Store - I had never heard of it before and it looked real small. So no luck there - but I will keep my eyes and ears open once home again.

:D

I have looked down here (near Myrtle Beach, SC) and I have not found any yet either. Now, I have not been to every Dollar-type store (:rofl ), but when I have asked, my response is a "no" followed by a puzzled "Why would we sell yarn?" look. I'm not sure why some of us are being deprived (:cry), but I'm happy for those of you guys who are finding these great deals (:hook)!

I even sent a "Why?" e-mail to Dollar Tree corporate, but I never received a rely. :think

I recently bought about a dozen balls of fun fur and boucle yarn at the Dollar Tree in Myrtle Beach near Colonial Mall (across the highway, next to the new Golden Corral restaurant.)

Ah-haaaa! On Saturday, Sept. 29th, my sister surprised me with 10 skeins from the dollar store! Red Heart Super Saver in Fiesta Jewel and I love it! I will say, it is a little rough, so I'm hoping that'll come out in the wash. It's usually caused by dye, and this is a multi-color heathery type. I'm going to make my new shrug with it.

Real Deal

I am crying, really crying. Where is my post? I put a post here on monday and now it's gone. There was nothing offensive in it. It was just about the beautiful chenille I just got. Why would my post disappear?

Real Deal

Thank you streams45. I feel a little better. I have had so many problems here since Crochetville changed servers. I couldn't get back on until Sunday at 4 am. Then it kept logging me out before I could post. Then I couldn't send any pm's at all. Today as I left one thread a little before noon, suddenly every every single thread was "unavailable." Sometimes half pages come up. Sigh.

No good yarn in your dollar stores? Oh, I'm sorry. There's quite a few dollar stores around here, but only 2 actually have all items for $1. The one that is closest to me is the one that has been having the great yarn this year. They also have yarn they can't give away. THAT stuff they ought to put in a sidewalk sale and pay people to take.

It was a surprise to me that this dollar store began to have some nice yarn. It used to have yukified yarn only, then I saw some Baby Jamie, then some more in other colors. Then some Red Heart ww in plum. Then chenille and suede. My sister and I couldn't believe it!

They seem to switch back and forth between the yukky stuff and ones I like. When they put out Jiffy which is bulky weight, I was stunned. Skeins and skeins of dark blue and teal, plus a dark blue / teal mix. All at $1 each. Well, o-o-o-o-e-e-e-e-e.

So that's why I now tell people to haunt your dollar stores, or other stores that sell for $1 and sometimes less, like Big Lots. When I feel more up to it, I'll rewrite my missing post.

Real Deal

Ok ~ I can sort of rewrite my post from last Monday. I don't know if I'll remember everything here, but I'll try.

My sister and I went to Big Lots in the next town over and Real Deals right here. Big Lots had a huge bin filled about waist high, and before we got up close, it looked great. Very colorful and pretty, but we could see we'd be "diving" for yarn. Up close, I was disappointed. There was a lot of fur, feathers, boa, ladder, boucle' and off brand ww. The boucle' did have a couple gorgeous colors, but I don't like to work with it. There was quite a bit of ribbon, but we couldn't find any matching dye lots. The ww said it was from China, and like someone asked in another thread "Do we have to worry about what's in the coloring?" I don't know and I'm not taking a chance. So, we left there empty handed.

At the dollar store, o-o-o-e-e-e-e! Chenille. In black. Have you ever seen chenille in black? It looks like black velvet. And right next to it was chenille in Paris Print. This is turquoise, dark purples and a little black. At home I already have skeins of plain dark purple chenille. I can see these 3 colors together. So I picked up a lot of skeins in both the black and the Paris Print. They are to swoon over, so to speak, and at $1 a skein I would have emptied my bank account for them. Luckily, I didn't have to do that.

I'm thinking this over: a floor length gown. Probably sleeveless. Just falling from the shoulders. And I'm tall ~ 5'10" before shoes. Oh, it would look so elegant. Probably weigh a ton. Well, I'll see. I'll keep thinking for now.

In the meantime, if you ever see black chenille, grab some. It makes nice little evening bags.

That's all for now ~ Real Deal

More nice yarn from the dollar store.

I was just taking a quick run through the dollar store and I didn't see anything on the shelves I wanted. More Moda Dea was put up. There's tons of it, and no one's buying it.

I walked a couple aisles down before turning toward the front to leave and nearly crashed into some large boxes on the floor. When I looked at them as I was swerving my cart ~ e-e-e-e-e-k, it was yarn! Yarn I liked.

Into my cart went a pretty yellow chunky by Lion Brand and then Red Heart Super Savers in Dark Plum. 20 each. Nice, very nice.

Real Deal

Archived