This kind of annoys me...

The 'trendy' issue. Or maybe it's just this area. But i'm noticing it online as well.

It seems like knitting is the 'trendy' thing. The local B & N that i went to yesterday has pllenty of knitting books, about 6 shelves of them, but i counted 5 crochet books. I asked about crochet books, i was told they can be ordered online and be shipped to my home or the store, that they don't keep that many crochet books because "they're not a popular thing" (i'm not buying that :thair ). But THEN i was promptly directed to an large table display of even MORE knitting books, and then the lightbulb finally went on, and i realized the the salesperson maybe thought they were the same thing. Not their fault, they didn't know, a lot of people don't. But perhaps a table of crochet books would be a nice idea?

Anyway, the knitting books were geared toward the college age crowd, with a huge variety of different knitting subjects. But the crochet books were...thread. Nothing wrong with thread crochet, it's not my bag, but it annoys me that i KNOW there are various crochet books, just like the knitting books. It would be nice to be able look through a book before purchasing, instead of trying to guess online if a book has what i want.

And it would be nice if books were available at the store for more reasons than popularity.:(

Alright, i feel better now...

I understand where you are coming from :( When I am out of town for any reason, and have the time, I like to check out yarn shops, and almost always they are geared to knitters. I was in Columbia,Missouri last year to watch my grandson play baseball in the Show_Me Games. There was a little shopping center behind our hotel and there was a yarn shop there. I was so excited!! Well.... I went in, and there was not one book, not even a pattern leaflet that had anything to do with crochet. The name of the store did not indicate it was all about knitting either. WhenI asked the lady about crochet patterns, she seemed almost offended:think I will admit she had some beautiful yarns, but I wouldn't have bought any just because of her attitude.

There is room in this world for crocheters and knitters, I don't know why some people cop such an attitude when it comes to crocheting:angry

If I was a little younger, and a little richer :lol I would open a small yarn store and it would be geared to crocheters only:manyheart

I agree with the snobbiness about knitting, our library has no crochet books per se but a bunch of knitting ones. To get the Stitch n B____ book they had to send it from another one in the system.

Also I find the large stores like Joann's and Hobby Lobby have a lot of crocheting books and free pamphlets for us. There is a Bead and Yasrn store near me and they carry nothing associated with crochet I have never been back.

I understand where you are coming from :( When I am out of town for any reason, and have the time, I like to check out yarn shops, and almost always they are geared to knitters. I was in Columbia,Missouri last year to watch my grandson play baseball in the Show_Me Games. There was a little shopping center behind our hotel and there was a yarn shop there. I was so excited!! Well.... I went in, and there was not one book, not even a pattern leaflet that had anything to do with crochet. The name of the store did not indicate it was all about knitting either. WhenI asked the lady about crochet patterns, she seemed almost offended:think I will admit she had some beautiful yarns, but I wouldn't have bought any just because of her attitude.

There is room in this world for crocheters and knitters, I don't know why some people cop such an attitude when it comes to crocheting:angry

If I was a little younger, and a little richer :lol I would open a small yarn store and it would be geared to crocheters only:manyheart

I live in Columbia, and went to that store not long ago. They now have a shelf of crochet books, but that's about all. While I was standing there in a top I had crocheted the owner asked if I knitted. I said no I crochet. They offer knitting classes but only give lessons on crochet by request. Yep I'm not going back there

Also I find the large stores like Joann's and Hobby Lobby have a lot of crocheting books and free pamphlets for us.

I find this to be true, I hardly ever see knitting pamphlets at these stores. and the book selection is amazing. I think with BN and other big stores is that there aren't that many books persay, there are a lot of leaflets and leisure arts type books then actual books.

I use to work at a LYS where we had a large section of crochet books. They didn't sell! I heard more complaints about the cost of the patterns and books for crochet than I ever heard about knitting books/patterns and the prices were usually less for crochet! The bottom line is that a business has to be able to make a profit in order to stay in business so they're going to stock what sells!

The closest JoAnn's is a little over an hour north of here. I hope to find one to go to while on vacation though.

I agree with the sense that saying 'crochet' is offensive to some people. You'd think the common bonds at least could be the yarn, and possibly charitable contributions.

I have told my husband for years that if I win Lottery I want to open A Crochet and yarn store and tuck only 3 or 4 books of knitting in the far back corner like they do for crochet.

I about went crazy on my last visit to the states especially when I went to Joann's and Michael's...they almost felt like wasted trips...it's like if I really want the latest crochet whatever, I'd do better to just order things online...even though Michael's and Joann's has crochet pattern books, I went crazy just trying to find some newish, or on the flip side, something more traditional...and of course, if I found myself in a boutique yarn shop, the emphasis is always knitting first (and it's the same way here in Germany because there is still the attitude that crochet is really for thread work and knitting is for everything else...it's not a snobbish attitude here, it's just more of a traditional attitude...)

Someone or many someone's needs to have a bricks and mortar shop that is a true representation of all things yarns...50-50 proposition with knitting and crocheting...if you're gonna have a table of knitting books, have a table of crochet books, not just have 100 books on knitting and the token 5 (or less in some cases) of crocheting...

Even when I was in Joann's and was looking at the magazines...2 were for crocheting and we know how many crochet magazines are really out there...I'd like to think that maybe there's not many crochet mags at Joann's (for example) because they are bought up so quickly because they seem to be so rare...

Thank God for the internet...

But I've even noticed on Lion Brand's newletter in the last year or so that their emphasis has been more and more knitting...there would be whole newsletters where there didn't seem to be anything related to crochet whatsoever...and before they would at least try to even things up by featuring alot of crocheting...that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

I don't know what it's gonna take, especially in the states, for all bricks and mortar stores to even up the knitting and crochet score...it doesn't have to be a competition between the two for goodness sakes...but that's what it feels like right now.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to do most of my crochet book and magazine buying and online and a good deal of my yarn buying online...

I know what you mean! The only "yarn" store here is geared towards knitting. Other than that we have JoAnn's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby. The lady that owns the little yarn shop is nice, but like I said, she is a knitter in true form. She gave me a flier about some sort of organization that donates knitted dolls. She said they would accept crochet ones too. She also has a groups on meetup.com called Knotty Knitters. In fact that's where I found most of my crochet group members. :devil So I guess I can't complain too much!

I also notice that a lot of books I want are only available overseas mainly Japan. Since amigurumi has taken a giant leap in the crochet world, those are next to impossible to find anywhere other than amazon japan, ebay or etsy. and yes if it doesn't sell they won't stock it, but if they don't stock it it doesn't have a chance to sell. Just like everything else in this world if it isn't hip or some star isn't doing it, then we are just pushed to the wayside.. The main reason knitting gained popularity was because Madonna was photographed doing it years ago, then all the "it" stars started knitting too. It then became hip and cool. So if any big named star is out there..pick up a hook and start hooking. :D

If it makes you feel any better :yes MY LYS *I own the store* is geared towards CROCHET!:hook I don't knit, I've tried and I can't stand it. So I have a few things for knit but darn it... hehe It's my store. So I'll carry "my" stuff. And my stuff happens to be crochet. I teach crochet classes and have had some people as for knitting classes, I show them both and normally they sign up for a crochet one. :devil:yay:devil

I will order knit things for people, however I have some needles and maybe 1 or 2 knit books. Everything else I carry, including finished items are crochet!:yarn:hook

And what about magazines? Border's always has tons of knitting,quilting and even sewing mags but just try to find a crocheting one! Every once and a while there will be one usually Annie's but not very often. I only buy a magazine if it has at least two patterns in it that I will make,it is why I don't subscribe. My Border's does have quite a few good crochet books though. My local library has one from the 1970's!

It irritates me too that knitting is trendy & crochet isn't. That everyone that sees me crochet calls it knitting, unless they actually crochet...even hubby still calls it knitting lol...even though I sometimes correct him.

Before I knew much about either, knitting I associated with sweaters & crochet I associated with doily's or granny square blankets. I tried crochet first & it connected. I tried knitting & it didn't.

Because it isn't the trendy craft to do though, it is still ignored by a majority of young adults, & stores follow that trend, mostly ignoring what they cannot sell. They cannot sell crochet. It's frustrating!

I keep hoping that crochet gets out there more & more so that both crafts will hold equal value. So that the stores will start stocking crochet books & magazines. And so that when someone sees us in public crocheting, they'll ask "are you crocheting or knitting?" Instead of asking what we are knitting. :think

I really feel this is an educational issue, because I think once someone TRIES crocheting, they like it, well, at least I do :lol

The real question is "How do we get the word out?"

Lily Chin was on David Letterman and crocheted a sweater for him - I think the show was in 2003 - here's a link:

http://www.nyccrochetguild.org/Articles/NL200305/LilyChinonLateNightwithDa.html

We need more coverage!

It irritates me too that knitting is trendy & crochet isn't. That everyone that sees me crochet calls it knitting, unless they actually crochet...even hubby still calls it knitting lol...even though I sometimes correct him.

Before I knew much about either, knitting I associated with sweaters & crochet I associated with doily's or granny square blankets. I tried crochet first & it connected. I tried knitting & it didn't.

Because it isn't the trendy craft to do though, it is still ignored by a majority of young adults, & stores follow that trend, mostly ignoring what they cannot sell. They cannot sell crochet. It's frustrating!

I keep hoping that crochet gets out there more & more so that both crafts will hold equal value. So that the stores will start stocking crochet books & magazines. And so that when someone sees us in public crocheting, they'll ask "are you crocheting or knitting?" Instead of asking what we are knitting. :think

You just gave me a great idea for a Tshirt!

personally i feel that it doesnt help that everyone thinks crochet=doilys and granny squares. maybe if they had some of the crochet books with the sexy clothing and young hip styles out there on that kntting table too they might sell more of them. i dont do doilies, and everyone i nmy age group learn/already knowing how to croceht probably arent either

I have to say I'm not surprised...and yet I am one of the lucky ones.

The B&N here has a bunch of crochet books, yes the knitting books outnumber them, but the crochet books they carry aren't old fashioned, they are current...trendy even. And they have a few of the crochet magazines...though you have to know when they show up in the store or you might miss them (and of course sometimes knitters like to hide them behind the knit magazines).

I also know the Pawleys Island lys has both knit and crochet and she's very friendly and open to bringing things in and looks for crochet patterns she thinks will sell/catch her crocheters eye (I was told there is a crochet group that meets there...too far for me to visit often though).

Not sure about the North Myrtle Beach lys, but she has a roomy place and does carry Interweave Crochet and other crochet books and hooks.

My ACMoore is changing up their yarn dept so its a bit crazy and mixed up, but again plenty geared towards us crocheters (one of the women who works the dept gives classes and is very knowledgable and only 'knits' on a knifty knitter loom).:yes

personally i feel that it doesnt help that everyone thinks crochet=doilys and granny squares. maybe if they had some of the crochet books with the sexy clothing and young hip styles out there on that kntting table too they might sell more of them. i dont do doilies, and everyone i nmy age group learn/already knowing how to croceht probably arent either

See, that's what i was thinking. And i don't see what would have been so bad about the same table having a mix of crochet and knitting books!:cheer

I'm lucky--here in the deep South people still treasure doilies, table runners, afghans and other handmade items as gifts from the heart that they truly are. I'm making afghans for Christmas gifts already upon request. People like crochet here.

As for LYSs, I've only been to the one in my area. They had some crochet items, but it's just hard to get there if you work outside the home. That's the issue I have--haven't gotten to go there enough to even see if they're knitting elitists! I can't afford the yarn in there anyhow . . .

I do both and respect knitting, but strongly prefer crochet. The biggest pain in knitting to me, aside from the sloooooow pace of it, is trying to fix mistakes. I got to a level of competence where I can fix the occasional dropped stitch, but sadly, most of the time, if I make one mistake, the whole project is shot. In crochet, even if I have to frog, it's one stitch at a time to deal with, so it's much easier to correct mistakes.

Of course, the exception to this is Tunisian or Crochenit, but I'm still much less likely to drop stitches in the first place because of the hook end(s) instead of the needle ends. Also, I can at least get back to a row beginning and pick up easily.

• 1 month later...

I feel the reason why tthere is more of a push towards kntting right now is becayuse of the trend. Crochet is really good for afghans, shawls and doilies as it was invented as a lace technique. Kntting produces a fabric suitable for clothes as it is less thick and bulky. You can crochet sweaters as Lily Chin has proved but they'll come out very suffocating and hot.

I also think that the kntting trend was started as a way to make those novelty yarn scarves and it's much easier to knit with novelty than it is to crochet with. I think that there needs to be more origanal patterns and ideas. I've seen so many of thoses animurigumi things and lace shawls out there it gets boring after a while

The real question is "How do we get the word out?"

Why not contact Steven Colbert?

Start a campaign. Instead of his red wrist strong braclets, make blue crocheted braclets and call it

String Strength. We'll bring awarness to the art of crochet.

On all the braclets we can have a tag saying "This is crocheted NOT knitted. Spread the word." Then well have a website called Spread the Word dot org and shed light on our cause to make crocheting an equal to knitting.

Yea yea yea, an equality issue. Give it a political spin. He's all for that stuff.

OK, I am done. I'll go back to reworking the square I was on.

I have told my husband for years that if I win Lottery I want to open A Crochet and yarn store and tuck only 3 or 4 books of knitting in the far back corner like they do for crochet.

And make sure they're not so easily accessible, where people have to bend down to get them or something.

Put the crochet books on top!!!

Archived