What is your favorite way to....

attach squares? I'm working on my first granny square afghan.. So far I have about 10 black and 10 white squares done. I've been reading up on the different ways to join them, but I was wondering what is the easiest way and which ways do you prefer??

If I'm working with all the same color, I like to whipstitch, but I haven't yet found a way to attach different colored sqaures that I like. I need to find one, soon, though. I have an afghan in pink and white for my neice that I need to have done before I go to Oklahoma for vacation.

This is my favorite, since any method is going to show you might as well make it show-y. Also, joining as you go is great.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

For different colored squares, I bring them together by edging them with the same color as the joining color.

This is my favorite, since any method is going to show you might as well make it show-y. Also, joining as you go is great.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

For different colored squares, I bring them together by edging them with the same color as the joining color.

I second this one! :manyheart

My own oppinion is: don't. :lol

I don't have the patience to do it right so it never looks good.

I envy those who do.

When I do have to join, I will often sc or slip stitch them together, just because whip stitching is a pain to me. It creates an edge, but that's OK. For squares that are all black and all white, I'd pick one or the other and join them all with that. Or maybe a third, highlight color. :shrug

I prefer to whip them. I got to thinking about what you have to do to put granny's together on day and starting leaving a really end on the squares. Then I use that end to whip the squares together in strips........less weaving that way. Then I whip the strips together the regular way.. IF you really think about it, you don't leave a long end on the squares that will be the last square in the strip because (of course) you won't have to whip anything.

Might sound weird but I like it.......it worked great for the LumberJack afghan too......I hate having to deal with long lengths of yarn.

I think the flat braid might look really good for black and white squares--the 2 colors will intertwine.

Leaving a tail to whipstitch is also something I have done, one less end to weave in.

I really like flat braid, but it isn't always the look I want. I guess I really don't mind whipstitching, and sometimes it is what looks best.

In all honesty it depends on what I am looking for. To me a slip stitch or sc is quick and easy, but if you don't want the ridge a whipstitch is just as fast and easy for me. I've never done a flat braid. I have done a mattress stitch once on a small blanket, but it is very time consuming(don't have that much patience).

sooo...... is everyone saying that if you sl st or sc the squares together you will always get a ridge?

i have squares that i need to put together too. and i was gonna post this question when i got closer to needing to put them together. but you beat me to it. i reaaly don't want to have to use a needle to put them together it just seems that much harder. but the penguin squares i did for mia seemed to puff out! and i did not want that to happen again! hmmmm!

sooo...... is everyone saying that if you sl st or sc the squares together you will always get a ridge?

i have squares that i need to put together too. and i was gonna post this question when i got closer to needing to put them together. but you beat me to it. i reaaly don't want to have to use a needle to put them together it just seems that much harder. but the penguin squares i did for mia seemed to puff out! and i did not want that to happen again! hmmmm!

Yes, that is correct. If you sl st or sc the squares together you will always get a ridge!

If you border the squares all in the same color I don't think the slip stitch looks as bad with the ridge. It kind of blends in. I just used that to help piece together a very colorful granny and yes there is a ridge but it goes so much faster than sewing for me so I just accepted it and think of it as part of it's charm.

I prefer whipstitch in the same color as the border and can secure the stitching with a long hidden "tail" going in 2 directions. I haven't put together motifs of differing colors, however. I don't know what I'd do in that circumstance.

I've yet to do an afghan where I have to crochet the squares together, so may not be the best to respond to this. However, w/ that said, I have been thinking of doing a baby gift for some friends w/ squares and, in the most basic of prelimary ideas, was thinking of a way to join w/ sc's that may be easy (or not, but is a thought).

Here goes: (and I don't know if others have done this so hope it's not an infringement)

basically, it's alternate the sides. (I'm going to presume ea square is the same pattern just for this). You have the 2 squares to join. You sc in 1 sp on 1 square. THEN! you sc in the corresponding sp on the OTHER 1. sc in the NEXT sp on the 1st 1 and then on the 2nd 1. working across the squares by alternating like that. at the end of the 2 squares, I would not f.o. after just joing 2 squares, I would do a whole row as this (and I did see this referred to on Krystals daisy ghan blog and thread where you do a whole row of squares (as in

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

Join 1 and 5, keep going w/ 2 and 6, keep going etc. Then go down w/ 1 and 2, 5 and 6, etc. f.o and then do 2 and 3, 6 and 7, etc )

I have a ways to go before I can try this theory out, but, at least in my warped mind, I think it would work ok. and maybe keep it from having the ridge I've seen mentioned on here... :think :think

Sandy

Archived