Magic Ball Granny

mamarose22

Here is a WIP of my magic ball granny that I am making for the Linus Organization. I save all scrap yarn pieces that are about 18" or longer and make these large grannies. It's a shame to waste them. I have made quite a few afghans this way.

100_0617.jpg

I never would have thought to do that with a magic ball. I have about three or four started, but they are all the same colors... I should do one like that. Thanks for sharing that idea.

Tina

Super cool, but what about the knots? How do you work those in? It would take me forever to tie those dang things together, and then I'd start obsessing over making sure the right colors were next to each other... I just use leftover small lengths to tie the tags to the Project Linus blankets my mom and I make. I'd love to see a photo of this completed! Patty

Re: my magic ball granny, when I have a bunch of scraps, I start tying them together using square knots. When I have a ball that's a few inches in diameter then I start crocheting. I work over the knots, twisting and turning the ends as I work over them so they shouldn't be able to loosen up, and add more as I go along. Currently I have 2 completed ones in the trunk of my car. The organization I belong to will start meeting the 2nd week in September, and I will turn them in for donation then. I also make other afghans, but this is what I do with scraps that aren't big enough to make a full granny square.

This would be a great way to practice the Russian join. Which is basically the same as splicing rope only much smaller! This is a really great idea the magic ball that is thanks. Your square is really pretty.

There is a link somewhere on making rectangular grannies, but I can't find it. Perhaps one of our readers might be kind enough to supply it. However I devised my own method. Being that I usually work with worsted yarns, that's what I use for these scrap-ghans and I use a "J" hook. You can use whatever hook is appropriate for the type of yarn you are working with. I always forget how many stitches I start with, so I usually make a chain larger than what I need and then rip out the excess stitches, backwards. I Start with about 13 or 14 chains. Then do dc in the 4th ch from hook, dc in the same place. (3dc) ch 2, 3dc in the same place, ch2, 3 dc in the same place (corner made). ch1 sk 2 ch, 3dc in the next ch, ch1 sk 2ch 3dc in the next ch. ch1,sk 2ch, make (3dc, ch 2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc) in the next ch. another corner made. ch1 turn to the other side of the beginning ch. sk2 st and do 3dc innext st,continue pattern to the corner, join and then start a new row working it just like a regular granny. If I have any excess chains on the starting row, I rip it out backward. I hope this is clear enough.

What a wonderful way to use up small lengths of yarn. I must try this out as it would be such a relief from projects where I feel every move is planned out so rigidly! I also did not know that Project Linus accepted crocheted blankets...I thought it was only quilts...off to google about that and also about the Russian joining methond. Your afghan is going to be really nice and thanks for the idea!:hook

Archived