Pencil or knife?

Knife holder here. My mom and grandmother held it this way too. I hold my yarn between my index and second finger. My mom wraps it around her pinkie but it seems to make me crochet too tight if i do that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knife here and I hold my yarn between my index and middle fingers.

I have a friend that crochets pencil style and it's odd to me. She brings her work to the hook and rarely moves her hook at all, it just looks like so much work to me when I move my hook and not my work--KWIM??

I'm not sure but my right index finger has a bump on it from my crochet hook. I hold my yarn crooked in my left index finger. I had to get out my latest sock to see how I did it! I don't usually think about it I just do it.

I actually hold it similar to how I hold a knitting needle...maybe because I retaught myself knitting about 6 months before I taught myself to crochet...I don't hold my hook like anyone else I know, but it works great for me.:hook

me too! hey, I thought I was the only person to hold it like a knitting needle! it works ok for me too! the only problem I had was whilst trying to load up the large knitting needle while trying to master broomstick lace! :hook

This is gonna sound kinda wierd, but....

during those years when I wasn't crocheting, I grew skilled at using.....chopsticks.

I've realized that how I hold my hook now resembles most how I hold those, than how I hold a pencil! Go figure.

Works for me. And I think I'm a faster crocheter than I used to be. ('course that could be because I gave up on granny squares!).

What puzzles me: I used to could use afghan and cro-hooks. I tried once a month or so ago, and couldn't do a dozen stitches without my hand cramping up badly.

oh well.

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that it also resembles holding chopsticks. That's how I hold my hook, yes like a pencil and when I'm tired, I tried the knife style for variation then go back to the pencil style.

Just curios. do crocheters also good in holding/using chopsticks? Well, I am. :D:yay And if that's true, do Chinese and Japanese people better in crocheting? I don't think so. :think

I hold the hook like a pencil. I've tried using it like a knife (someone mentioned the coming pain in the long run, which also I get when crocheting long hours) but could get anything out of it.

The yarn I run over my index finger, then from in between the index and middle fingers into my fist.

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that it also resembles holding chopsticks. That's how I hold my hook, yes like a pencil and when I'm tired, I tried the knife style for variation then go back to the pencil style.

Just curios. do crocheters also good in holding/using chopsticks? Well, I am. :D:yay And if that's true, do Chinese and Japanese people better in crocheting? I don't think so. :think

I have seen some STUNNINGLY AMAZING things created by Asian women. One of my favorite crocheters is Asian. She does those adorable "foody" scarves...her online name is "TwinkieChan."

Knife here, the yarn between the first and second finger of the left hand.

My mother used to wind the yarn around her fingers somehow, I think around her little finger and then up to her index finger and around her pointer. She used to get so mad at me, because I could not get the hang of that. Has anyone else seen that?

Sounds sort of how I hold my yarn. Betwee my pinky and ring fingers across my palm then through my middle and pointer finger then over the top of the pointer...confused yet? :D

I hold mine like a knife.

Knife.

As for yarn? I'm totally inconsistent. Depending on the weight of the yarn/thread and how tightly I'm trying to crochet, I can wind up with some pretty elaborate wrapping schemes, lol.

My mother used to wind the yarn around her fingers somehow, I think around her little finger and then up to her index finger and around her pointer. She used to get so mad at me, because I could not get the hang of that. Has anyone else seen that?

Yes, I do that. Most crocheters and knitters I've ever seen do that as well! (I do the knife hold, BTW)

Knife here for how I hold the hook.

The lady who helped me learn to read a pattern wrapped the yarn around her pinkie then under the middle two fingers and over the pointer finger. Most of the time all I do is tighten the yarn on the pinkie and feel like I'm cutting it off! So I came up with just going under the middle two fingers and over the pointer finger. If I'm crocheting with thread I use an yarn thimble on my index finger to help with the tension and keep the thread from cutting into my finger.

a lot of Asians don't really hold their chopsticks the correct way!! :P

i am Asian btw

I'm a right-handed knife. I actually hold the hook between my pinkie and the heel of my palm, directing the tip with index finger and thumb.

My yarn is wrapped around the pinkie of my left hand, then over my index finger.

I've tried the pencil method, but feel like a klutz. I occasionally try it again, but I'm still a klutz with that method.

I finally paid attention to how I hold my hook. It's the knife way. Maybe i should switch to pencil since if I crochet for long periods of time my palm starts to get a bit sore with the butt of the hook rubbing up against it and at times stabbing it.

For yarn I wrap it around my pinkie then under the next two and over my pointer. I tried another way once but this seems to be the only way I can control tension and use my left hand to hold my project.

I finally paid attention to how I hold my hook. It's the knife way. Maybe i should switch to pencil since if I crochet for long periods of time my palm starts to get a bit sore with the butt of the hook rubbing up against it and at times stabbing it.

That is the prob I am having too.

One thing I've noticed using the 'pencil/chopstick' method: the free end of my hook is bobbing and weaving and dancing all over the place. I'm actually holding the hook about midway, between my thumb and index finger, and movement is largely controlled by my middle finger (hence the chopstick method I mentioned earlier). My hand and wrist move some, and my arm hardly at all. When I try using the knife method, I wind up moving my arm and wrist a bunch more. For me, it's better to let the free end of the hook do all the solo dancing it wants, as my hand/wrist/arm do not have to move it around with the rest of my hand. [not sure if I'm making a lot of sense here]. In other words, using the 'knife' method, I have to move my arm and wrist a bunch more to accomodate the movements of the non-business end of the hook.

Oh, the yarn: wrapped around my pinkie, above the ring finger, below the middle finger, over the index finger.

Ruth

I use the knife hold or I've also called it the toothbrush hold lol I just can't seem to get the tension right with a pencil hold, I wrap the yarn around my left ring finger and up around my index, I don't think any way is right, it's just how comfortable you are with it.

I hold it knife style, but as it says in the SNB Happy Hooker book.....there is no right way or wrong way....you are going to repeat your stitches hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of times...you might as well be comfortable and use whatever works best for you!

I hold my hook as a knife, and my yarn between my index and middle finger, because I learned knitting before crochetting.

Archived