Freecycle rocks!

yarn008.jpg

I put an add in the local freecycle for anyone wanting to donate yarn. I got this wonderfully generous lady to donate all her yarn. She use to knit, but has since given it up. 3 bags full of yarn were given to me.

I plan on using it to make stuff for local charities and some online ones as well.

My freecycle says you have to at least put something up before you ask for something. I so badly want to ask for yarn! But I don't really have anything to give. I suppose I could find something. Very cool though!

swimmeet024.jpg

Yet another generous person donated some yarn to me. I have one question to those who wash yarn. I think the second bag of yarn I recieved came from a smokers house. THe yarn smells pretty bad. How can I wash it without ruining it. I don't want to crochet with it the way it is.

You might try putting a skein or two (without the labels of course :D ) into a small mesh laundry bag and wash it on the gentle cycle or by hand. The bag would help to keep it wound to prevent tangles. Most skeins are loose enough to allow the soap and water to penetrate to the center.

Hand washing would take more time, but would have the advantage of allowing you to gently squeeze the yarn to make sure the detergent penetrates and that it is completely rinced. Good luck.

What is this 'Freecycle' that I keep reading about? Is it a neighborhood thing or an internet thing? :think

Freecycle is a program online that allows you to hookup with local people and freecycle things that you no longer need.

http://www.freecycle.org

Check it out. I joined the local one here and I have received some great things from people around my area. It'a ll free. Thre are no charges for anything you find on there. Most freecycles operate with the understanding that whatever you want, you pick up on your own. It's a great thing to join.

oooh I have some old pantyhose...THANKS! I also have a few mesh bags that I could make a bigger load with..... Yay, now I can get that yucky smoke smell out of the yarn and get started on my projects.

NOw I shouldn't dry them in the dryer right? I should air dry?

Archived