Wow, Wow, Wow

In case some of you haven't figured it out, I live in a very small town, and we do not have a local yarn store, nor hobby lobby, or michaels. Our Joanne's is a joke as far as the yarn is concerned. A very very small area. Our wal-mart doesn't keep things in stock, and there fore I never see 1/4 of what you all are talking about.

I was out of town this week, (Grand Rapids, MI) (see off topic conversation), and I had the opportunity to wander around a Hobby Lobby. Oh my god, the yarn there is incredible. I wandered up and down the aisles over and over again, touching, and looking, and drooling. I even smelled some of the yarns!:rofl

All of these different types of yarns that you all have been talking about, and doing projects with, I FINALLY GOT TO SEE THEM! They are incredible! I couldn't buy anything, but I sure did dream alot, and wish alot! It was almost like entering a different world for me!

I saw sock yarn, and just about everything else. That place is great! The next trip I make out of town, I will be taking some stash money with me!!!!!!!!

I was so envious of you that live in a big town, and have the opportunity to shop, or to even just look at all of these fantastic fibers!

:manyheart

Funny. I live in a rather LARGE city with no yarn store! We have a Walmart, but it's limited in what it stocks. I need one little 1.75 oz skein of Caron Cuddlesoft yarn and I have no idea where to get it. My husband and I have tossed around ideas about opening our own business, and I think we should open a yarn store! There's always ladies perusing the aisle in Walmart when I go, and they looked as unimpressed as I feel. :angry

I have the same problem. Live in a major metro city (Miami/Miami Beach) and there is only 1 LYS and it just opened about a month ago. The nearest LYS are at least 45 mins away and 1 is a Walmart with very limited stock. No Joann's, Rag Shop, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin or anything like that. Big Lots here doesn't carry any yarn and even our Michael's (another 45mins) doesn't carry that wide a variety and it's 45 min from here as well. I have yet to see LB's Fishermans Wool or any 100% wool for that matter. The Walmart carries the very basics, mainly Red Heart (which I'm allergic to). I've been discussing with my hubby opening a yarn/craft store also. But may wait until we move to the Florida Keys. I get most of my yarns online. :knit

Good for you! I'm glad you finally got to see some. It's fun isn't it?

Even in Atlanta I have to go to five different stores to see or buy most of it because each one only carries certain stuff or half the stuff. Our yarn store is at least 20 minutes from me and it's real expensive stuff and caters to knitting. I'd like to open a store closer to me as well. lol

how fun for you! i noticed you just received some homespun as a raok... does your walmart carry this?

i live in a town of about quarter-a-million, we have a VERY TINY yarn store that i discovered by accident... the biggest hobby lobby you can imagine, joann's super store, michaels and 5 walmart super centers...... the only thing - they all carry the exact same yarns.... nothing spectacular :(

(but hubby is trying to get through the red tape of starting a LYS for me in a historical district - Route66....... :D)

I too live in a small area. When I got to go to Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago, I was THRILLED!!! I think I touched everything TWICE! LOL I didnt go nuts and spend like mad, I was there for one reason only, and they were out! LOL

Im hoping when we get our Superwalmart it will be a little better yarn selection.

The Super Walmart near me actually seems to have a better selection every time I go in there--they've cut back on some of their Red Heart colors (which isn't necessarily a good thing LOL because I wanted to a particular color, but now can only get that color 60 miles away so had to rethink what color to use), but they've been adding a lot of nicer yarns, Bernat, Lion Brand, I think some Paton's, too. Also I really want to try some of that RH Casual Cotton--it feels really nice and comes in great colors. (There's an older walmart on the other side of town that has as much room for yarn but not as much selection--they've got the place all in a mess right now though because they're renovating it into a super walmart.)

Anyone else seen this at a Walmart? I went in there a couple of weeks ago wanting to buy a ball of RH Tiki. Couldn't find it anywhere even though I thought I'd seen it there before. I finally found it displayed in a cardboard box on the lower of the two shelves below counter-level at the cutting counter! Like they were trying to hide the stuff :lol I guess they're bringing in enough yarns that they're having trouble finding room for it all...

I know there are several decent yarns stores in mid-MI...

I feel spoiled, LOL, I live in the "Metro Detroit" area and have about 7 LYS's within a 15 mintues drive... a few MIchael's and JAs... no Hobby Lobbys... but the LYS's more than make up for it, LOL!

LYS is local yarn store--the independent stores that sell the harder to find / pricier yarns that the chain stores don't carry. I don't have any around here, though I got to visit one a couple of months ago and had a lot of fun petting all the yarn.

I can't afford expensive yarn either (though recently I was able to make a couple of splurges with money I was given for my birthday), so I hope my Walmart doesn't take away too much of the Red Heart stock, but it makes me happy to see them getting some of the fancier things in so that I can try them out here and there when I can spare a little cash :c9

Our wal-mart here has a pretty good selection of yarn, they carry caron and bernet and they have the new stuff that they make the scarves and things out of, but I cant work with that.

Thanks for telling me what LYS stands for.:lol

I have the same problem. Live in a major metro city (Miami/Miami Beach) and there is only 1 LYS and it just opened about a month ago. The nearest LYS are at least 45 mins away and 1 is a Walmart with very limited stock. No Joann's, Rag Shop, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin or anything like that. Big Lots here doesn't carry any yarn and even our Michael's (another 45mins) doesn't carry that wide a variety and it's 45 min from here as well. I have yet to see LB's Fishermans Wool or any 100% wool for that matter. The Walmart carries the very basics, mainly Red Heart (which I'm allergic to). I've been discussing with my hubby opening a yarn/craft store also. But may wait until we move to the Florida Keys. I get most of my yarns online. :knit

I'm in SW Dade, Kendall area. I've got a RagShop, regular walmart, Michaels within about fives miles of me. A little further is a JoAnn's. nearest SuperWalmart is in Homestead. I did try to find a LYS but the nearest was N Miami Beach or somewhere near Cutler Ridge. I hear ya though on travel time. 15 miles away but takes 45 minutes to get to. GRRR! Mmm, the Keys. Almost ended up living there and teaching, but ended up in Miami instead.

I live in a small town. We just got a Walmart a bit over a year ago. Was I SOOO glad to see it and all the yarn they carry! We had to drive about an hour to get to a Michael's or Walmart before. We do have a LYS, but it is sooo expensive and she gears more towards knitting stuff anywhooo....Don't like it there.

Mistiaggi....you have Elegant Stitches near you then! I am so envious.

http://www.elegant-stitches.com/index.cfm?PageID=602&SectionID=600

This is an awesome store and the owner/staff are so helpful. I've made the trip down there several times. You should check it out, you won't be disappointed! :knit

Mistiaggi....you have Elegant Stitches near you then! I am so envious.

http://www.elegant-stitches.com/index.cfm?PageID=602&SectionID=600

This is an awesome store and the owner/staff are so helpful. I've made the trip down there several times. You should check it out, you won't be disappointed! :knit

Ooh that is close! I'll have to drop in. There's a scrapbook store nearby that also! Hehehe! Thanks, I didn't know that one was there.

hi that would drive me nuts not being able to get good yarn. i like to experiment with different kinds and is always nice to find someting, it feeds my addiction. i am a yarn -aholic i admit it,:lol :lol :lol :lol thank god for the internet though!!!!! and e-bay, must feed the yarn addiction!!!!:lol :lol :lol:yay :yay vicki

I'm stuck in a tiny town and have no transportation, so I depend on the internet and the local thrifts for my yarn. Luckily, we have three thrift stores, and I recycle yarn from sweaters, so most of my yarn is dirt cheap, if you don't count the labor. Most of my online yarn shopping is at Herrschner's. Their sale dept. is fabulous, but you have to visit often to get the good stuff. http://www.herrschners.com/default.aspx

I don't think it matters what size city you live in. I live in Chicago, and, while we have a dozen or so really expensive LYS (there's a beautiful one in the next block), I can't afford to buy yarn there. Michael's just doesn't have a good selection where I live; Hobby Lobby is great, but it's 45 minutes. Do you have Hancock Fabrics? They've started stocking LB and had a great sale on LB acrylic a while back.

I buy yarn online. I also buy yarn at Aunt Mary's Yarns in Rochelle, IL. It's a yarn mill outlet store. She sells Caron, LB, some Plymouth, and just regular acrylic at deep discounts. She also has LB Fun Fur by the pound, but be forewarned: It's in tangled skeins. But because it's tangled, you get a great price. (Not worth it to me, but...) If you live in Illinois/southern Wis., this is the place to go. You can also order from her online at http://www.auntmarysyarns.com. She doesn't advertise everything that's in her store on her site, so if you don't see what you want, call her (phone number on her web page).

She sells Homespun mill ends by the pound for about $8. Acrylic is something like 20 cents per ounce. My mom and I go to her store and walk out with garbage bags full of yarn. If you live anywhere near there, it's worth a trip.

Note: I am not Aunt Mary, nor do I benefit in any way from recommending her shop. She doesn't even know me. Nice lady, though, and will order anything she doesn't have.

I live in a rather large city, but the yarn selection in this town is horrible. I do have a JoAnn store within walking distance though, so I check in frequently to see if they've actually stocked their shelves (happens once in a blue moon). I prefer to drive across town to the better, larger craft stores. I grew up in the city so driving 20 minutes is a fun little trip across town.

I do most of my shopping online though. I do research for a project, picking out the best yarn that I can afford at that time at the best price.

as i have said before, i buy RH from a lady at a flea market for 20 cents/ounce. i don't usually look for yarn anywhere else because i am happy to get it at the flea market. but since i have been on this board, i have heard ya'll talk about yarns i have never heard of. today i went to our Michael's and i couldn't believe all the different yarns. it took all i could do to control myself :drool:blush i will have to definitly have to go back when i have the money! by the way, went to our Jo-Ann's, and it sucked! no selection what so ever.

Archived