63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has to... :D Now I am having a hard time not getting I think 12 to be straight LOL...I will have to start over and make sure to count each row...at least for a while :) I skipped and started on the afghan square and granny square.

I think this afghan is more fun when you skip around... at least it was when I made it a few years ago. The one I made doesn't match anymore, so here I am, back again!

I didn't get any :crocheting done this weekend, but I have HIGH HOPES for the week :yes:devil

I was busy getting ready for the DSHS home inspection this weekend so not much got done. A little during my insomnia, but not much considering I tried one square twice then decided to do a different one because I was tired of it not turning out right :) I need to get some more yarn, I didnt get enough (I am only doing the squares two colors and using ecru to pur them together...I am doing blue and brown) So when we get paid again I will have to buy four more skeins.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been busy joining my squares and haven't checked the forum for awhile. I had terrible trouble with square #8 too.....I got help and made a change to the pattern and it worked perfect...here is what I did...on Row 4 where it says *[work FPdc(Fig.9, page 3) around the post of st below next sc.....I changed that so you do that FPdc around the post of the stitch ONE more over than the pattern says..That way the whole thing starts out right and it worked perfect ..Hope you try it again as it is really nice and working that first FPdc around one more stitch to the left made all the difference . Good luck..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok--I've decided to give this another try. I started this five years ago when this CAL first began. I gave up and started again, maybe 3 or four times. I could never get the gauge right! The squares were never the same size, and it drove me crazy, so I would put it in the closet. I've been crocheting for decades, and the fact that I couldn't get it right, well, let's just say this pattern has mocked me for the last 5 years.

So now, I have a plan. Why didn't I think of it before? I'm using a G hook for all the squares. I chain the amount the pattern says, but I measure after the first row, and cut off the extra chains after I reach 7 inches. This way, they will all be the same size. I crochet very loosely, so I always have more chains.

Always before, I would crochet a few rows, then measure. Most of the time the squares were too big, so I would start over with a different size hook. Over and over and over... you can imagine I got frustrated very quickly. But my new way of doing things seems to be working, for the first 2 squares, anyway.

Right now I am just crocheting in white. I will choose the other 2 colors tomorrow.:yay

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here. I chose colors-RH white, ILTY limelight and some bright red in ILTY. These are "Mountain Dew" colors, as my husband says. The afghan will be for him. I've done about 25 squares. I skip around because I can't buy the yarn all at once. I'll do as many of one skein as I can, then buy another skein, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this afghan a while ago. It was challenging, but worth it!

One tip I'd give...I found that in order to keep the correct gauge, I had to vary the hook size from square to square...

I did this afghan a while ago. It was challenging, but worth it!

One tip I'd give...I found that in order to keep the correct gauge, I had to vary the hook size from square to square...

I've had to do that as well. I am using the same brand of yarn for all 3 colors, but each color seems to be different thicknesses which also is making a difference in which hooks I use. Plus some of the patterns just seem to work up smaller or bigger even when my tension and everything is consistent.

The squares aren't coming up perfectly the same size, but they seem to be within 1/4" of each other and I think they will look quite fine. I may have to add an extra round of SC's when I combine them, but that's fine.

Well, I have my book and my yarn time to get started.......

Woohoo! :cheer What colors are you doing? Mine is from Bernat Super Value... Medium Navy, Medium Sea Green and Honey... blue, green, brown =)

Finished square 30 last night and started #31. Making good progress so far. Hopefully I can maintain my focus and not get distracted by some new project!! :yes

Woohoo! :cheer What colors are you doing? Mine is from Bernat Super Value... Medium Navy, Medium Sea Green and Honey... blue, green, brown =)

My colors are brown, beige and orange..I am thinking about changing the colors...unsure though..I will post a picture and then you can tell me what you think..

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Square #37, not liking this square very much and starting to get distracted looking at other patterns again. Hopefully I can get these squares done quickly so I can finally see this pretty afghan on my bed. It's just such a huge project!

Archived