63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone-

I found this site after starting the 63 squares, and I am finding I need help. The patterns seem to need correcting (interesting, as I also did the knitting version, and there were many mistakes in the patterns).

I cannot find a central location where corrections or helps are listed. Does anyone know where I can find one, or if it exists? I did find the tutorial for the trinity stitch-very helpful by the way.

I also tried searching the forums here, but didn't find anything for the 63 squares. Or, if there is a question about a particular square, do you just post to this forum?

I am working #39, and one side is getting longer, but my number of stitches are correct. Will this go away when I do the finishing?

Thank you so much for any help!

Hi mosswl--I'm just starting and have had some issues as well, mainly to do with gauge. I have found that I need to use different size hooks in order for the squares to the be same. I have also had to add/subtract edging rows in order to make the squares the correct size. Mine are ending up about 8.5 inches instead of the 7 the book calls for, and that is using a G hook.

As for a list of mistakes I haven't found one yet...Maybe someone else here will be able to point one out.

Good luck everyone with making progress!

I made 63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine to Make an Heirloom Afghan (Leisure Arts #555) several years ago but alas it was one that I gave away. It did turn out quite nice. Good luck to all.

I have gotten a couple more squares done over the weekend: #'s 26 and 12. Boy was I glad when I finally got #12 done--it seemed like it was taking forever. I don't think I'll be using that stitch for anything in the near future! I started on #34 tonight. I aim to have it done tomorrow--with the blizzard we are having I may not have to go into work tomorrow (more time for crochet!).

10.33 squares done, 52.66 to go!

• 5 weeks later...

hello linda

what a couinsidence

i wanted to revive this cal becuse i wanna use my stash for this afghan

i always use the slip stich for any kind of work that needs joining

i`m gonna use my brights for it

i`m gonna use 5 colors for the square and the yellow will be for the blocking and edging for the squares and the afghan after jioning :clap

gonna start to night

I have really enjoyed doing this afghan and learned so much from it. I just wished I had found this forum earlier to help me with some of the problems I had with some of the squares. It says in the pattern to use the slip stitch to join the squares..I just wondered if there were any alternate ways of joining them that people had found.

I have really enjoyed doing this afghan and learned so much from it. I just wished I had found this forum earlier to help me with some of the problems I had with some of the squares. It says in the pattern to use the slip stitch to join the squares..I just wondered if there were any alternate ways of joining them that people had found.

You might want to try to search it on here. under joining squares I know that there has been some threads started about different ways of joining squares.

linda

the other way i know (which i`m gonna use) wont be usefull for you

some ladeis joined the squares as they go colum by colum but you made all the squares so that wont help you

You can use sc's to join the squares as well as slip st. It'll make a ridge on whichever side you work on, which is good if you want a bit more texture. :)

Hi everyone,

Are you ladies doing the 63 squares in which the cover of the booklet has a mauve, green & aran afghan? If so, I would love to join in. I've attempted to do it several times but did not want to do it alone.

How far along are you guys?

I'll check back in later. Have a great day all!

Val, Id join you in crocheting this one. I have two 62 squares booklets (the 63 squares one that you are talking about), and the one that has all the squares done in ivory. (63 more squares) I have done 5 squares of the ivory one, but I could switch over to the other booklet if that's the one everyone else is doing. I'd probably do the afghan all in one color either way because I have a lot of Redheart Aran.

Hi, Yes, I believe that this CAl is about the 63 Easy to Crochet Pattern stitches Combine to make an Heirloom Afghan by Leisure Arts with pink, green and beige squares. I have finished my squares and am just looking at different options for joining them..Thanks everyone for all the advice..I will try a couple and see how it works. What is the best way of starting to join them ...doing in rows or columns?

It would have been great to have found this site earlier while I was making the squares.The help would have been awesome. It took me almost a year to complete all 63. I can't wait to see it finished. Linda

There are actually three books now. The original 63 squares, which this cal is using, 63 More and 63 cable squares. I have all three and am using a mixture of the squares for my ghan, which has been on hold for over a year and a half now.

well if i work 5 squaresaday it wont cause any problem

plus joining the square to the colums in the time they`re done , colum by colum it`ll take very les time :yes

i wish things go as i`m planning

I whipped stitched my together (down a few posts) I had to do it that way because some of my squares came out an awkward shape..... so I forced them into submission with some creative whipstitching :lol

Thanks Candy, That seems to be the method of choice by most people . Is that quite a sturdy join as my afghans get heavy use ? I also just learned about a weaving stitch method of joining..it gives a bit of a ridge but seems pretty strong. I like the look of the flat seem when I tried the whip stitch. I guess I should commit to one and get busy. Thanks again for any tips. Linda

Val, Id join you in crocheting this one. I have two 62 squares booklets (the 63 squares one that you are talking about), and the one that has all the squares done in ivory. (63 more squares) I have done 5 squares of the ivory one, but I could switch over to the other booklet if that's the one everyone else is doing. I'd probably do the afghan all in one color either way because I have a lot of Redheart Aran.

Sorry I haven't gotten back with you. I've been sick...and still is. I will be doing the first book. Gotta locate it. If I feel up to it, I'll look tomorrow.

There are actually three books now. The original 63 squares, which this cal is using, 63 More and 63 cable squares. I have all three and am using a mixture of the squares for my ghan, which has been on hold for over a year and a half now.

:eek:eek There's a 63 Cable Squares booklet AND I missed it?! Now I will need to go out and find it, and incorporate it into ANOTHER of these afghans! I made one a few years ago, and I loved the challenge of it.

I like the idea of joining as you go. I think i have a better chance of speedy (a year?!) completion :cheer:cheer

Last time, I had the squares sitting for 3 years, and my mom took them and joined them for me :blush

what a shame, though, that it doesn't match my decor anymore:devil :rofl

• 3 weeks later...

i`ve started mine today hoping to make a colum per day

i`ll work hard on this before i go back to school

i`m useing my 6 colors brights for the squares and i`ll use the yellow to make the edging and blocking

i`ll post picture of each colum i finish

i`m starting from the left side colums :yay

Archived