63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Completed #37 and it actually came out right, yay. #38 is going to take some practice I think. I ended up with 2 extra stitches on the 3rd row...so will have to frog it and figure out where I went wrong. Too late now, will have to try and get to it tomorrow.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I initially signed up to this site when I saw the Wooleater and was going to join the crochetalong for that blanket, but although I still love the look of it I really didn't enjoy doing the actual pattern, so decided to ditch the idea and start something else.

Well - I came across mention of this afghan recently and ordered the book (which should have arrived today but hasn’t) and I would like to join this crochetalong if I'm not too late? I couldn't believe how long this CA has been running! Did most people finish their afghans? I've read through until page 100 which has taken me ages, and disappointingly most of the links are now dead, so I can't see all the squares, colours, finishes.

I'm in the UK but am familiar with the stitch differences, although I learnt the hard way - something I made came out totally the wrong size on the first attempt!

I have found Donna's Thumbnails Gallery, which I just know is going to be a terrific help when I need guidance on hook sizes and what the squares 'should' look like, also her very detailed explanation of the Trinity Stitch, and I think Square 8 where she's given useful info. Are there any other squares that others found particularly troublesome?

I am planning to use the colours in the book in DK which is the nearest to US worsted weight I think? I do hope there are others still doing this afghan?

(Going back to page 100 now to continue reading:)

Update:

Well my book didn't arrive today - really upset 'cos I had my weekend planned to devote to squares. Also had a rethink on colours - I'm still using the soft green but the pink is more of a muted, soft plum and instead of ecru I've bought a very pale silvery grey.

:hi, Sandy!

:welcome to Crochetville!

This is one of my "everlasting" WIPs that I really would like to finish! Mine is deep plum and ?? I have 10 squares done in that color, and am deciding if i will use a second color or not. I have also made this 'ghan in Navy, Cadet blue, and Ecru.

The squares, the book says, are 7" @ 25 sc. I am doing mine bigger than that.

At least you can work out your gauge:wink:D

Let us know when your book arrives, ok?

Thanks for the welcome LeaAnne, and I've had a little practise run with a 7" square in SC - came out dead on 7" with a 5mm (H) hook, so I think my DK yarn will work just fine.

Question about joining as you go. Somewhere I have seen a method of doing this whereby the last row of the square can be joined to the next square's last round, but NOT using the traditional granny square stitch (the clusters). The end result looked incredibly neat and quite solid, not lacy.

I have hunted through all my 'saved for future info' links, trawled through countless video instructions and web pages but I cannot find it. So frustrating! Does this strike a chord with anybody?

Sorry to butt in, but I saw that you are looking for a join-as-you-go method that's not the usually granny square type. Have you tried flat-braid joining? The method I use can be found at http://www.yarncrazy.blogspot.com. There is a link toward the bottom right side of the page, called "afghan joining hints." It is a pdf and has step by step instructions and photos to help guide you. For some reason, I can't attach a link, but I hope this helps. :hug

Sorry to butt in, but I saw that you are looking for a join-as-you-go method that's not the usually granny square type. Have you tried flat-braid joining? The method I use can be found at http://www.yarncrazy.blogspot.com. There is a link toward the bottom right side of the page, called "afghan joining hints." It is a pdf and has step by step instructions and photos to help guide you. For some reason, I can't attach a link, but I hope this helps. :hug

Thank you very much Stacy. This is not the one I remember but it looks really nice, and I'll certainly give it a try.:)

Whoo hoo! My book's arrived. It all looks a bit daunting now, but I shall be making a determined effort.

I have just realised that this crochet-along has actually be going for years! I wonder how many have actually completed the afghan, how many are still plodding on, and how many have just given up?

I do hope somebody else is also going to be joining me - I do far better with moral support:)

I'm still here! Because this one is for me, I'd put it aside to concentrate on other projects for a long time, but now it's time for me to work on it again.

How many squares have you done? There are one or two I don't think I'm too keen on but will wait to see how they look when completed. Are you ready to start again?

Whoo hoo! My book's arrived. It all looks a bit daunting now, but I shall be making a determined effort.

I have just realised that this crochet-along has actually be going for years! I wonder how many have actually completed the afghan, how many are still plodding on, and how many have just given up?

I do hope somebody else is also going to be joining me - I do far better with moral support:)

I completed one several years ago. It was tough, but the final product was worth it! :c9

If you're having difficulties, I found that if I either googled the square name or searched on the 'Ville, I managed to find someone who had figured out the solution to that particular issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm up to my 12th square. Not doing them in any particular order - just as the mood takes me really. If I'm watching something on TV which demands attention then I go for an 'easy' square. Anything a bit complicated I save for when I'm listening to the radio.

Surely someone out there is still working on this piece - or am I doomed to solitary :crocheting?

Hi Guys

I made this a few years ago .the biggest challenge I had was getting all the squares to be the right size .

change hook sizes if you need to , and also, you may have to adjust the edging on a few , like the ones that turn out a little small, just add an extra round of edging . it won't hurt anything and will make them easier to join size-wise .

Good luck , and have fun !

Hi Guys

I made this a few years ago .the biggest challenge I had was getting all the squares to be the right size .

change hook sizes if you need to , and also, you may have to adjust the edging on a few , like the ones that turn out a little small, just add an extra round of edging . it won't hurt anything and will make them easier to join size-wise .

Good luck , and have fun !

I found, in some instances, I had to add a few more rows to a pattern for a square to make it tall enough.

I haven't counted my squares again yet but have done a fair few. I've variously used some 4 different hook sizes so far, a G, 7 (4.5mm), H, I and J; also adding an additional row of edging in a couple of cases to get them as near as possible to the same size. No wonder this afghan takes so long - each square can be started many times until it's right!

Just a general question - is a size 7 hook available in the US? It appears to fall between the G and the H at 4.5mm. I wonder why "they" didn't allow for the addition of this size when standardising hook sizes? `

hello there

ive came by in here several times and never completed it so i think ill be a good one and do it it with you guys and wish to finish it as soon as possible

ill join squares colum by colum to feel the progress moving :yes

so im gonna use (cream - rose pink - soft sage) hope the finished afghan will look so good in the end

sooooo ill look for my book i dont remember where did ive put it then ill start crocheting :clap

see ya tomorrow gtg get some sleep as i have to go to work tomorrow :(

tighty nighty girls

Archived