Plastic Bags, Video tapes, Pulltabs..OH MY!

Another question that has been on my mind! How many items can we all come up with to crochet with. Example, People use plastic bags, the video from tapes and cassettes, and now I have seen pull tabs! Let's see how many things we can come up with to use to recycle things and just to crochet something "different". Sound like a good idea?

This sounds like a CAL in the making.

Gee if it's for the environment, do you think Julie would give me a hall pass to try one new thing? :lookout

It would be tempting.

Julie Bolduc of JPF fame uses plastic containers all the time to make the neatest items.

http://www.jpfun.com/

and an example... http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/paid/114/p114096pinbasket.shtml

this is not a Free site but you can join the ygroup for a free pattern a day :yes

Dental floss...cool! It could have a minty smell! LOL

People must have used regular sewing thread. Have you all seen the ones that glow in the dark? That would make a cool egding!

Plus, the old standby...fabric strips. This is going to be a fun thread!

Darski, what a cool idea!!!

I bet if you were carefull, you could use paper strips, or paper streamers. I have no idea what for, but I'm sure you could use them. I used to 'finger chain' the packing straps used to bind cases of paper... I'm sure if you got enough of them you could make something stiff and sturdy out of them.... a basket of some sort.

How about gift ribbon? Wire (like electrical, not craft, sometimes that type of wire is cheaper at the home improvement store than the craft store), candy wrappers (LOL!), hmmm...I'll think of more 'odd' materials..

Pretty much anything that can be cut into strips and knotted together - may not make the BEST thing to crochet with, but if it's supple enough to tie together, it'll loop around a hook, even if in an ungainly way.

I once saw this lady on riply's beleive it or not make stuff out of pet hair and another episode where i guy was collecting dryer lint, can't remember if they crocheted with it though??

Okay, true confession.

I know folk who keep dryer lint and make little fire starter balls with them. They light very quickly and make free first tinder for campfires.

But to crochet with lint? I think it would have to be spun first. How much lint would it take to spin to have an amount that can be crocheted with?

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=799020#post799020

I don't think we could crochet with dryer lint. In this thread linked above, I asked if lint could be spun, and I was told that it wasn't really feasible.

~ Joy

Yeah, I've heard of people gathering their pet hair, and spinning it into wool. Just think about having a sweater made out of your cat's hair. You could pet your cat on your lap, and you wouldn't worry about cat hair showing up on your sweater, as it's in the sweater already! Wow. :) No need for those sticky roll thingies. I bet you could do the same with human hair.

Oh! I had another idea. I keep the scraps of yarn that are kinda smallish (like, you'd measure it in inches, not yards or feet, that small) and use them for stuffing in stuffed animals. The ones I make are always very small (not more than 6" tall) so you don't need much fiberfill. Besides, I can't see buying a big bag of it, just for these tiny animals. Then, I know it's washable too. Is fiberfill washable? Anyway, what else do you use for stuffing in toys? Maybe something recycled? I thought about using plastic bags for the stuffings of toys, but I don't know if that'd be very washable... Little kids love toys that crinkle (well, my 13 month old son does anyway) and so I thought a plastic bag inside might be a fun idea. Any other ideas out there?

Victoria

Yeah, I've heard of people gathering their pet hair, and spinning it into wool. Just think about having a sweater made out of your cat's hair.

Yeah, and I'd sneeze all day!

I thought about using plastic bags for the stuffings of toys, but I don't know if that'd be very washable... Little kids love toys that crinkle (well, my 13 month old son does anyway) and so I thought a plastic bag inside might be a fun idea. Any other ideas out there?

Victoria

I intend to make my DD a toy made from plastic yarn, stuffed with plastic bags. I just finished making something from plastic and she sat in my lap and chewed on one end while I crocheted on the other!

I was thinking the cardboard round thingy in the thread skeins could be reused. Just cut them in 1" to 1/2" parts and crochet around them and make a crochet bangle bracelets for a little girl. Just a thought, I don't plan on trying it.

Our Shepard/Husky/Heinz57 mix dogs shed a beautiful pale gold undercoat this time every year.

The other day my dd combed them out and our yard looked like a sheep farm at shearing time (not quite that bad.. but the amt she pulled off was impressive).

It made me sad that I don't know how to spin.

I know folk who keep dryer lint and make little fire starter balls with them. They light very quickly and make free first tinder for campfires.

I do that. It's great! I just have a little trash can by the dryer.

I've tried leather cording. I want to make some baskets for my brother and SIL out of electrical wire (they own their own electrical business).

I use embroidery floss and fabric strips.....everything from plastic tablecloths to denim to organza. I saw some work at a craft fair that was raw alpaca hair (not processed or spun) from animals she raised. Had NO IDEA how the woman did that but it was beautiful.

OH, and I've tried wire but it always comes out looking "crimpy".

I've seen a few recycled denim projects and thought to make a couple of them but still haven't really found the one that really gets me going to cut up the tons of denim I have ready for such a project....Please if anyone has fabulous ideas for denim. I'm waiting with sissors in hand!!!:P

I use embroidery floss and fabric strips.....everything from plastic tablecloths to denim to organza. I saw some work at a craft fair that was raw alpaca hair (not processed or spun) from animals she raised. Had NO IDEA how the woman did that but it was beautiful.

OH, and I've tried wire but it always comes out looking "crimpy".

These are all very interesting ideas! Right now one thing I am doing...but it is as old as the hills...is making trivets in the shape of grape clusters. I think everybody's grandmother had/made one when I was a kid. You use metal bottle caps.

Also, you all must have seen Peggytoes milk cap animals. That is one idea. Would anybody know how to make little hats out of milk caps? To use for magnets.

Me&P.....I think the idea of electrical wire baskets for the electricians is a really COOL idea!

I am loving all this creativity!!!! Keep it coming!

I've seen a few recycled denim projects and thought to make a couple of them but still haven't really found the one that really gets me going to cut up the tons of denim I have ready for such a project....Please if anyone has fabulous ideas for denim. I'm waiting with scissors in hand!!!

I have this pattern for a denim rag bag purse. I used denim shirts so the fabric wasn't too thick which makes it easier to crochet. It was still a bit of a struggle with the thick denim 'yarn'.

deminbag.thumbnail.jpg

Here is the free pattern link if you want to check it out.

There are several web sites that have EASY patterns to make QUILTS out of 6" denim blocks using recycled (garage sale) jeans. The seams are on the OUTSIDE so that they end up "fuzzy" and you don't have all that corner turning and matching. You back them with flannel or muslin or something light weight. Then you can just knot each square rather than top quilting. The most tedious part is cutting out the squares. The rest zips up on a sewing machine. They are fun, fast and GUYS love them. YAY, a crafty gift for the MEN in our lives!!!!

Cindy your denim rag bag is awesome...That is a great way to use up the shirts. I have the really thick jeans to cut up....I'll keep your pattern for when I have some shirts ready to recycle!

Archived