Easy As Pie Purse

TracyB

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/tlbyarnstuff/Crochet/EasyAsPiePurse.jpg

The purse is worked in three sections (front, gusset/strap, back) and can be adjusted to any size by increasing the number of rows on the front and back and/or the number of rounds for the strap. It seems that a couple of other websites have free patterns of similar shapes and style, so what makes mine unique is the all-in-one construction that makes finishing minimal. Please feel free to report any errors/omissions because they are my own! Good luck!

Supplies:

2 balls of Sugar & Cream worsted weight cotton (approximately 6 oz. total) or 3 balls of Noro Kureyon

D or E hook

1 button

Tapestry needle

Abbreviations:

CH (Chain), DC (Double Crochet), FPDC (Front Post DC), BPDC (Back Post DC), Sl St (Slip Stitch), DC2tog (DC next two stitches together), RS (Right Side), WS (Wrong Side)

<< >> (indicates total # of stitches completed, including post stitches)

Purse Front:

Row 1:

CH 4, leaving a long tail for sewing on the button later. 10 DC in 4th CH from hook (CH 3 counts as DC). Turn. <<11 DC>>

Row 2:

CH 1, DC in first DC, (2 DC in next DC) 4 times, DC in next DC, (2 DC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<19 DC>>

Row 3 (RS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (FPDC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) 4 times, FPDC in next DC, (2 DC in next DC, FPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<27 DC>>

Row 4 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (BPDC in next DC, DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) 4 times, BPDC in next DC, (2 DC in next DC, DC in next DC, BPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<35 DC>>

Row 5 (RS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (FPDC in next DC, DC in each of next 2 DC, 2 DC in next DC) 4 times, FPDC in next DC, (2 DC in next DC, DC in each of next 2 DC, FPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<43 DC>>

Row 6 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (BPDC in next DC, DC in each of next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC) 4 times, BPDC in next DC, (2 DC in next DC, DC in each of next 3 DC, BPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<51 DC>>

Row 7 - Row 14:

Repeat (Row 5 & Row 6) 4 times, increasing as established (by working one more DC in each section for each row). After completing Row 14, you should have 115 DC and be ready to work a RS row.

Row 15 (RS):

CH 1, SC in each DC. Do not turn. <<115 SC>>

Gusset/Strap:

CH 100, join with Sl St to first SC on other side. Be careful not to twist the chain.

Round 1:

CH 1, SC in each st around. Join with sl st to beginning of round. At the beginning of the round, make sure to SC in the first stitch that started to round to keep the total number of stitches correct. Do not turn. <<215 SC>>

Repeat (Round 1) 3 times. You should still be on the RS at the top left side of the purse front.

Purse Back:

Row 1 (RS):

CH 1, SC 115 times. Turn.

Row 2 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (DC in each of next 12 DC, DC2tog) 4 times, DC in next DC, (DC2tog, DC in each of next 12 DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<107 DC>>

Row 3 (RS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (FPDC in next DC, DC in each of next 10 DC, DC2tog) 4 times, FPDC in next DC, (DC2tog, DC in each of next 10 DC, FPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<99 DC>>

Row 4 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (BPDC in next DC, DC in each of next 9 DC, DC2tog) 4 times, BPDC in next DC, (DC2tog, DC in each of next 9 DC, BPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<91 DC>>

Row 5 - Row 12:

Repeat (Row 3 & Row 4) 4 times, decreasing as established (by working one less DC in each section for each row). After completing Row 12, you should have 27 DC and be ready to work a RS row.

Row 13 (RS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (FPDC in next DC, DC2tog) 4 times, FPDC in next DC, (DC2tog in next DC, FPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<19 DC>>

Row 14 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, DC2tog 4 times, DC in next DC, DC2tog 4 times, DC in last DC. <<11 DC>>

Row 15 (RS):

CH 1, DC in each stitch across, leaving the last loop each DC on the hook. When finishing the last stitch, pull the yarn through all loops on the hook. Sl st together to close the gap. CH 16 and fasten off, leaving a long tail.

Finishing:

Attach button securely on the purse front using the tail (I usually work right into the middle of the first row). Create a loop out of the ending chain on the purse back by sewing the end of the chain into the beginning. Weave in all ends.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a gem of a purse and I love Sugar n Cream yarn and have tons of it. They make a color combo of pink and brown that is yummy.

Thanks for the pattern, really appreciate it:cheer :manyheart

Purse Back:

Row 2 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (DC in next DC, DC in each of next 11 DC, DC2tog) 4 times, DC in next DC, (DC2tog, DC in each of next 11 DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<107 DC>>

Hi Tracy, I'm working on the back of the purse now and was wondering if there's an error in the above portion? Is it supposed to be:

Row 2 (WS):

CH 1, DC in first DC, (BPDC in next DC, DC in each of next 11 DC, DC2tog) 4 times, BPDC in next DC, (DC2tog, DC in each of next 11 DC, BPDC in next DC) 4 times, DC in last DC. Turn. <<107 DC>>

Actually, I've been doing it the way it's written. The first row of post stitches won't really work well into the previous row of SC. I thought the spacing of the post stitches looked better when that row was done in regular DC. You could do it any way you like!

Archived