Red Heart at Michael's

addicted to yarn

Well I was in shock when I went to look at yarn today at Michael's. Red Heart is now $2.49 each!!:eek I was glad that I picked up what I needed in RH from Walmart, which was still $2.17. I was looking for more specialty yarn. I could not believe that it was that much!! I hope that it is only temporary, although they hardly had any.

I think it's permanent. I had read somewhere that they were going up in price. I don't know if walmart will change it or not. I had read about it and then went to Micheals (a month or so ago) and the price hadn't went up and I thought they were keeping the price down, probably because walmart hadn't chagned theirs.

I think the prices are going up again because of the price of oil going crazy.

I went to buy some TLC at Hobby Lobby and it was up from $2.97 to $3.69! :eek That was a huge jump in price. I tend to buy this brand because it is softer than RHSS.

I don't know how much Red Heart is normally now, but this week, it is $1.99 at HL. :yes

I just wait for the sales and stock up. So RH not only shorted us on the amount (to keep the price down) but now is raising prices anyway. It's not fair.:no

:manyheart

I hope Hobby Lobby doesn't raise the price. I almost exclusively buy Red Heart and only from them on sale because it's the cheapest and pretty soft when washed so that I can make baby blankets for new babies at church. I can't find yarn this cheap anywhere else so far in the several years that I've been crocheting. I might find another hobby that costs less if they add a price increase to the insult of putting less in each skein, and you can be they'd hear from me on that!

I have a suspicion that our HL is going to raise the price. They haven't yet but when I went there a few weeks ago I saw a box that hadn't been put out yet and the skeins all said 2.49 or thereabouts. I was upset since I don't even like paying 2.17 for it. lol I'm hoping it doesn't happen though.

I haven't been to my local Michaels but AC Moore, which is about 1/2 mile from Michaels raised their prices to $2.24 for RedHeart. Wal-mart has it, I believe still at $2.17.

LI Roe

I find the price to vary locally between Walmart and Michaels...mind you they are practically next door to each other and the ONLY place in town that I know of to get redheart...anyway...its been a while, but I recall WM to be cheaper than Michaels for RH, and Michaels to be cheaper than WM for the higher priced yarns....NOW...I went shopping at a "supercenter" in what is known locally as a "redneck" town nearby. It has a full grocery, appliances, hardware etc...and the sporting goods section is as large as the rest of the entire store...anyway...NO LIE...2 months ago...I noticed they had a small yarn section...NO LIE...for RH it was $3.20 :eek a skein!!!!...I'm not talking the pounder either!!!! Its rivaling the gas prices in the area.

Obviously...I don't even feel remotely compelled to walk into the yarn section in that store!

Hi. I thought I would add in my two cents here too.

You guys in the states have really cheap yarn.

Up here in canada i pay alot for yarn.

a 7 ounce skein costs 3.38

a 1000 gram ball cost 12.97

kids yarn is really pricey

so is baby yarn i think it is 4.54 or something like that.

and a medium ball is 6.92

I can't look at the others for they are too much.

So to me you have quite a bargain!!!!

Teapot:think

I agree with Gleda. I'm also from CT....BUT as long as the gas and whatever else their excuse is to go up on things ...they will...cuz they can..

It seems to be a way of life here now...and everywhere else.

I wonder if it will be cheaper to buy in bulk somewhere instead of a little bit at a time...

Martha

Well, I went to AC Moore today, they still have it at $2.24 but the girl said they try to keep it under Michaels prices. Then I walked over to Michaels, sure enough, they were up to $2.49 a skein. Haven't checked Wal-mart yet, will try and get over there on the weekend. Guess I'll be waiting for sales.

LI Roe

RH is $2.17 at HL 35 minutes from here, but at walmart it about $3 something. I only buy RH at HL. I rarely buy yarn from walmart, dont get me wrong i LOVE Walmart but they just dont have a big selection of yarn and its very pricey.I usually dont buy any other yarn beside Caron ss and Rh unless HL has it on sale. Though since my mom has gotten back into crocheting she'll let me go crazy every now and then :D

I got a question what the heck is Michaels and AC Moore? ive never heard of them :think sorry im from a small town and we have to drive 35 minutes just to get to a walmart and HL

So far, in my area, Wal-mart is still the cheapest at $2.17 too. There are no Hobby Lobbys in my area. We used to have Ben Franklin but they closed down several years ago.

LI Roe

Here in Connecticut where everything is pricey, $2.49 is a great price for Red Heart. At that price I'd buy a lot of skeins! :D

Ditto that-- RH is about 4.49 for the regular skeins here. Thats why I stick to Caron SS and SS Brites. thats 2.07 at walmart.

Wallys here, last time I looked, most of rh was 2.17; AC Moore was 2.17, but Micheals was 2.59?

I normally tried to buy my RH from wallys, but all of the wallys is re-organizing and doing away with over half of the crafts department. They have downsized sooo much that most times its NOT worth going to.

I am grateful that we have all 4 stores here: Michaels, AC Moore, HL, and Wallys. But its getting just as cheap gas wise to go to even JoAnns for things. But I have almost stopped going to wallys now. AND IT WAS MY FAV !! .. WAHHHHHHH ... LOL HMMMMM

by the way that could be why others are going up on the price; wallys is downsizing many items, even material is gone in some of them.

Krafty Kitten :

I got a question what the heck is Michaels and AC Moore? ive never heard of them :think sorry im from a small town and we have to drive 35 minutes just to get to a walmart and HL

These are craft stores also. They carry all crafts there, yarns, clays, scrapbooking... etc ..

They are on sale for 1.88 a skein this week ( until Sunday 5/20)

AC Moore is a nice big craft store, but they only sell B & M... no online sales.:no

I like Michael's quite a bit too. but that is a hike also.

Walmart.... 15 minutes

A.C.Moore 90 minutes

Michaels... 75 minutes

I usually end up at Wal-Mart:( Would rather the other 2 , but not at these gas prices.:no

Since I am in Kansas the closest Michaels is in Joplin Missouri about 45 min. drive, I went there this weekend & was disappointed that the only free patterns they offered was for 1 baby blanket & there RH was $2.59. We do have a Super-Wal_mart & RH is $2.17. Since I was in Joplin I also stopped in at there 3 diffrent Wal-mart stores there & 2 out of the 3 are almost completly finished pulling there craft sections so I was able to pick up yarn, patterns & hooks at deep discounts. Now I also buy a large portion of my crochet supplies at yard sales & antique & flea markets & get it usually by the box loads for a couple bucks. Gas prices slowed me down a bit this weekend but still was able to restock quite a bit. :clap

Keep in mind that acrylic yarns are made from petroleum, so when the price of oil goes up, the price of the raw material for yarn goes up.

The cost of shipping the yarn also goes up. And since a couple of the major manufacturers of acrylic have gone out of business, I imagine it's harder to get raw materials at a cheaper price, as there is less demand.

I don't think anyone is raising their prices unbelievably; and, the prices of everything are going up.

I feel like it's the 1970s again.

I know that it's now cheaper to make my own clothes again, though, which is cool. The surcharge added to ready-made clothes for shipping/fuel costs is more than the cost of fabric, so I get to sew again!!!

If you are ever in Columbus, Ohio, there is a nice little shop that sells Red Heart by the ounce. It's not in the best neighborhood, but the prices are worth the trip. The door is always locked so you have to knock. Mrs. Phillips selection is limited to what she can buy in bulk from the factory.

Phillips Yarn Shop

Open 10AM to 5PM (Closed Sunday and Monday)

1 block North of Morse RD

4509 Cleveland AVE,

Columbus, OH 43229

614/476-3942

They are on sale for 1.88 a skein this week ( until Sunday 5/20)

AC Moore is a nice big craft store, but they only sell B & M... no online sales.:no

I like Michael's quite a bit too. but that is a hike also.

Walmart.... 15 minutes

A.C.Moore 90 minutes

Michaels... 75 minutes

I usually end up at Wal-Mart:( Would rather the other 2 , but not at these gas prices.:no

My hubby payed $80.00 for gas the other day!:eek How outrageous!

Archived