Eco-friendly shopping bags

Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags

• Absolutely yes - I love them
    • Yeah -I guess I will have to
    • No, but I would buy some of them readymade
    • No, they will have to pry the plastic out of my cold, dead hand.

A CAL sounds like a good idea! I started one with J&P Coats Nylon Crochet Thread, thinking it would be cheap and lightweight. Well, I was wrong on both counts. LOL! The bottom is a solid circle and I ran out of thread and have to buy more.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like everything else, this is a double edged sword. Yes, cotton bags are wonderful, but I'm greatly concerned about the pesticides and insecticdes used in cotton production, which IMHO is a greater threat to our enviroment and safety:

http://www.panna.org/resources/documents/conventionalCotton.dv.html

Every plastic bag I get is reused, either as a garbage can liner, or for cat poo. I'd love to find another way to deal with the cat poo, but there are no cat poo dumps in my neighborhood.

On the cotton issue, I'm using up my on hand supply of cotton, then only using organic cotton in the future. It's expensive, but as the market increases, ways will be found to do it less expensive.

Kathy

I have some string bags that I purchased, which I use for most of my quick trips to the grocery. LIke somebody else on this thread though I do my "big shopping" only once a month and get a ton of groceries!!! So I would like to make more bags to bring with me.

To those who like to use the plastic bags for other purposes, here's what I plan to do. I have a supply of plastic bags now. I use those for cat litter, and to line my wastepaper baskets. Because the wastepaper baskets don't get "icky" trash in them, I don't change the liner that often; I just dump the stuff in them on trash day. When the liner starts getting iffy & worn-looking I replace it. But it takes a while, so I'm not using them up very fast.

My plan is that once I TOTALLY run out of plastic bags, I'll do a few shopping trips without my string bags to build my supply back up again. This way I get the best of both worlds.

Here's another use for old plastic bags. I cut them up into "calamari" strips and thread them together to make longer strips. Some people then use these strips to crochet or knit new bags!! I haven't done that yet though ... but what I have done is used this "string" to tie up my bundles of newspaper or magazines for recycling.

My mother called me at work a few weeks ago and told me about this pattern. So I went onto the Canadian Living site and printed it out. I made her one while I was recovering from surgery last week and gave it to her on Sunday when they dropped by on the way to the cottage.

Here it is...

th_100_1076.jpg

Like everything else, this is a double edged sword. Yes, cotton bags are wonderful, but I'm greatly concerned about the pesticides and insecticdes used in cotton production, which IMHO is a greater threat to our enviroment and safety:

http://www.panna.org/resources/documents/conventionalCotton.dv.html

Kathy

I have worked around this problem by recycling cotton sweaters! I got some from a local goodwill store for a few bucks and am dissembling them to reuse the cotton. I have to post the instructions on my blog at some point.

Back in the late 80s or early 90s my mom used mesh bags a lot for shopping. Our store would give you $0.03 off for each bag (cloth or not) that you re-used. I have tons of bags waiting to be taken back to the store to the recycle bin they have there. I always forget them though. I'd love to be using string or cloth bags for my groceries. But... I'm one of those people who always forget things like this until I'm standing in line... and the bags are sitting right beside the front door. :sigh I have lots of bags I've made for other daily things and transport though....

Tracey--

Your bag looks great! I think it's the same one I'm making. What is the diameter of the bottom circle? Mine seems to be extra large. I'm using Peaches & Creme and a size F/4mm. My diameter is 14" and the sides are splaying out like a sunburst. Do they straighten up when you put the handles on? Thanks for any input you may have.

Terry

After doing some reading of news stories over this weekend I admit to being more than a little ticked. :rant

We little plebes are expected to give up our plastic shopping bags and make do with or without while the enviroscreamers not only produce a carbon footprint the size of Rhode Island but refuse to do any different. :eek sheesh.

I am going to continue to be conscious of what I do but I reserve the right to be really ticked about these phonies. :grump

:soap disabled... for now.

It really does annoy me though :wlol

This issue is just like any other issue in the US's history. It's going to take a HUGE movement by the general people for anything to get done.

Voting, civil rights, now the ozone...

But the fact is, it all starts with the little man.. "us" We need to change our ways. The only pressure we truly have is economic. Unfortunately, I don't believe the majority of the people are energetic enough to make a viable impact at this point. It's getting there, though - it's becoming MORE mainstream.

After doing some reading of news stories over this weekend I admit to being more than a little ticked. :rant

We little plebes are expected to give up our plastic shopping bags and make do with or without while the enviroscreamers not only produce a carbon footprint the size of Rhode Island but refuse to do any different. :eek sheesh.

I am going to continue to be conscious of what I do but I reserve the right to be really ticked about these phonies. :grump

:soap disabled... for now.

It really does annoy me though :wlol

Oh don't you just love those mythical "carbon credits"? My husband put it in dieting terms such as... I'm going on a diet. I won't change any of my eating habits, but I will pay you for you to stop eating.

I'm for being environmentally friendly, but the enviro-psychos make me ill.

Here in Australia, it is a common practice to bring your own recycle bags with you. Majority of the supermarkets have bags for sale for around 99cents, they are quite large and have a recycled plastic square that sits in the bottom of the bag to keep things sitting straight.

At our registers, you do not get a bag if you have 3 or less items. I don't mind as I get the kids to carry an item each. I have got approximately 40 of these "green" bags, my problem is remembering to put them back in the car for the next shopping expedition LOL

I got this info in a newsletter I get. if Coke can go kosher and healthy to boot, Wow...

<<----------------Quote--------------->>

Over the past few years, health food trends have been taking the world by storm, but only in Israel will the world's most popular soft drink be manufactured without preservatives or artificial food coloring. Coca-Cola Israel will be the first in the world to produce a healthier version of the drink, while at the same time maintaining its taste, shelf-life, and of course, its kosher status.

Being the first to successfully implement the advanced technological procedure, Muzi Werthiem, Cola-Cola Israel's owner received the permission and blessing of Muhtar Kent, president of the Coca-Cola Company, who congratulated him on the great achievement. Israeli consumer's preference of products without preservatives and artificial colorings has been rapidly increasing of late.

The new formula, which will include both regular and diet Coke, will be on the market as of next week. The bottles and cans containing the new drink will be labeled artificial coloring and preservative-free.

Only in Israel!

<<----------------------->>

I know this is a bit off topic from crocheting shopping bags but all of this information about the world becoming less consumer oriented and more interested in healthy choices is a good thing for those of us who are used to making do with what you have.

On a sad note, I am going to have to frog the shopping bag I was making... it is just going nowhere. I will start over, right after Dora's next smashing outfit is completed :rofl

I hate :frog

Several *green* stores here, and food co-ops will take 5-10c off your grocery total (per bag!!!) if you bring your own bags. Its a nice little incentive to get people to recycle and I take every advantage of it!!!

:clap

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2325

Another one at Bernat also!

Great idea!

Thanks!

Thanks for this link! It's perfect for a mother's day present. My mom is from Germany and this is how she shopped all the time as a child and has gone back to it. She uses those sturdy plastic collapsible crates for her groceries if she has more to carry than her bag will hold.

I've had a LA pattern that was out in '92 that had a pattern for grocery totes using the worsted weight cotton. I've had it on top of my stack of "Things to do" for years now, and now I am! going to make them for grocery shopping.

Every time I go for groceries, I come home with 20 plastic bags for 1/2 cart. That's too much waste.

I thank you for starting this topic. I wonder if I can use these for mall shopping?

I've made a mesh bag, that i sorta designed by myself. I just crocheted a circle, until it was about 4 or 5 inches across, and then started the mesh. and then when it was a good size, i did a few rows of sc. and then i did one strap from one end to the other. I used a verigated yarn, sport weight acrylic. it's pretty stretchy. I'd like to get some cotton and try to make more bags. I made another one before, from a pattern, that started out the same way, but has two handles. I wasn't too fond of the handles. I like one handle better.

Also, don't forget that second hand stores are great for finding the cloth bags! I know i always see them when i'm there. and at good prices!!!

You know, I never really thought about using the bags at other stores! Weird. Just went to wally world too, and bought a few things. ....Yarn.......lol i bought a big skein of the red heart yarn, in black. I am going to make a hat with cat ears. and a few other things we got. Dang. I definetely have to keep the bags in the car, and write a note! lol, even if the bags are in the car, i forget them and dont want to hold up the line while I go and get them. But one day I had to go to the grocery store twice, and I re-used a bag, and recycled the other right away, while i transferred the stuff to the cloth bags.

We started using cloth bags when we read that it takes about 1000 years for a plastic bag to fully break down. But I really like those crochet ones that you can pop into your pocket.

Most shops here really like the fact that we don't use their bags but a few have been really reluctant so we just don't let them bully us into it. They really have no right to say no to us, in fact they actually save money by us not using their bags. One said it was for security reasons that we couldn't use our bags (shop lifting) so we said that we invited them to look into our bags when we left the store. That shut them up.

We are also thinking of buying those biodegradable plastic-like bags for our garbage. I think the next big step for us is to try to drastically reduce all the packaging that comes with the food. Even when you buy produce you end up putting it in those plastic bags to get weighed. We tend to look at all those recylables by the curb and think we are doing our bit but we really need to put less and less out at the curb.

I agree that just recycling is not enough. We have to produce less waste if we want to make a difference in the world. We cant control a lot of the trash we make but in this case we can. Everyone can have a bag in there car to take to the stores. Every bag counts. Keep up the good work!!!:clap

When I woke up this morning, I have a market tote bag idea.

Like those bags that can be folded inside the purse, I wonder if it is possible to roll them up then have something like a ribbon to tie it, or a magnet latch (I am not sure if it's a right word) to hold it in the rolled up form.

That way the bag will not be scrumbled with other stuff in the purse. Just a thought. I may check out the magnet latch or buttons in craft store next time. If someone did try this idea, please let me know!

(The design is the magnet latch is on the side of tote bag near the opening. The other side will be at the middle of bag 's other side. Try it with the piece of paper - roll it up then mark both spots with a pen and unroll it. You will see what I mean. If you still don't understand what I mean, I can post some pictures as the references.

The bag will be thick but naturally roll up to the button point where a button piece meet other and connect together. The straps will be folded inside the bag's body before it's fully folded up. Or sew up some long ribbons near the opening then have them ready to tie the bag once rolled. Decorative but functionable!)

I hat plastic bags. I always tell places that I don't want a bag or I say that I want paper. I can recycle the paper bags and I don't have to worry about the bag ripping out at the handles either.Have you seen how much stuff they try to fit into a plastic bag?

When I woke up this morning, I have a market tote bag idea.

Like those bags that can be folded inside the purse, I wonder if it is possible to roll them up then have something like a ribbon to tie it, or a magnet latch (I am not sure if it's a right word) to hold it in the rolled up form.

That way the bag will not be scrumbled with other stuff in the purse. Just a thought. I may check out the magnet latch or buttons in craft store next time. If someone did try this idea, please let me know!

(The design is the magnet latch is on the side of tote bag near the opening. The other side will be at the middle of bag 's other side. Try it with the piece of paper - roll it up then mark both spots with a pen and unroll it. You will see what I mean. If you still don't understand what I mean, I can post some pictures as the references.

The bag will be thick but naturally roll up to the button point where a button piece meet other and connect together. The straps will be folded inside the bag's body before it's fully folded up. Or sew up some long ribbons near the opening then have them ready to tie the bag once rolled. Decorative but functionable!)

That is a neat idea... I would love to see the one you make. I like ones that can be tidied like that.

I agree that just recycling is not enough. We have to produce less waste if we want to make a difference in the world. We cant control a lot of the trash we make but in this case we can. Everyone can have a bag in there car to take to the stores. Every bag counts. Keep up the good work!!!:clap

I recently purchased two Cabbage Patch Kids at WM (over a couple of months) and I ripped the packages apart, took the doll and parts and gave them the garbage to dispose. I hope they get the idea soon that tons of packaging is not eco-friendly.

Archived